Start by marking “A Greener Christmas” as Want to Read:
A Greener Christmas

A Greener Christmas

Part craft, gardening and cookbook, and part home dcor and entertaining resource, this edition lets the whole family get in on projects that are simple and seasonal, while describing how to set a mouthwatering holiday spread with locally produced breads, cheeses, meats, and produce.
Published September 1st 2008 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley)

To ask other readers questions about A Greener Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Greener Christmas

Kathryn
Dec 21, 2013 Kathryn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: crafty "green" types discerning enough to avoid the bad projects
I picked this book up at the library as a substitute for a Christmasy magazine to read at off moments at the breakfast table. The pictures are warm and glossy, and it's great fun to read about homemade wrapping paper, Christmas cookie place cards, fabric ornaments, and recycled Christmas cards.

However, I have a few gripes with the book:
First, several of the natural gift ideas seem a bit unrealistic. While the book claims that the photo album with bits of dried flora "will always be delicate" I
Marie
Dec 02, 2010 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Greener Christmas offers ideas and solutions for celebrating a simpler, homespun, greener Christmas. It's packed with ideas for trimming the tree, outfitting the table, making the gifts and feeding the guests. It also offers many suggestions for more eco-friendly shopping and celebrating.

I loved this book. It's perfect for those, like me, who are tired of the commercialism of Christmas and wish this time of year wasn't so chaotic, stressful and wasteful. Even though the recipes and crafts loo
Annette
Oct 22, 2012 Annette rated it really liked it
I was excited to receive a copy of A Greener Christmas through the LibraryThing Early Reviewer program. It arrived right before Christmas making it a timely addition to my collection. [return][return]I'm always looking for ways to live a "greener" life, so I particularly enjoyed the suggestions related to recycling and reusing material. However I found that the book spent more time focusing on natural decorations and traditional recipes than approaches that fit with my thoughts about a "green ...more
Aisha Oaktree
I could literally dive into this book and not come out until next Christmas. There are great green decorating ideas, which use a lot of natural ingredients, which means you will spend next to nothing to make them. I love seeing some of the things we do regularly in our home, in there and knowing that we were being green without even knowing it. Like the cinnamon sticks used to help scent the tree is an awesome idea that my mom has used for years.

It is chuck full of green decorating tips, greene
Pamela
Jun 11, 2014 Pamela rated it liked it
A Greener Christmas: Discover a Simpler, Greener Christmas - Hand-Crafted Gifts and Cards - Natural Decorations - Traditional Recipes / Sheherazade Goldsmith, Editor-In-Chief -- New York : Dorling Kindersley, c2008. (352 pages; color illustrations)

If you are looking for glitz and glamor, look somewhere else. The author states - "I hope this book will inspire you to take a different approach to Christmas, and spare you the stress of excess consumerism."

This book is about using natural products an
Angie
Oct 13, 2009 Angie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Kirsten
The pictures are beautiful as are the descriptions of an old fashioned English-esque Christmas. Loved that. However, right after a beautiful stirring-up of lovely memories, the author repeatedly sticks you with the "green" knife. Plastic is bad. We wasted too much for convenience. blah blah blah. Not that she isn't right-she just beats it up. It was just a wierd little rant.

Once I got to the projects I was happier. There were a lot of simple and green things to do using things around your home
Mickie
Jan 06, 2009 Mickie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone looking for simple crafts, recipes or ideas for Christmas!
Recommended to Mickie by: Saw it on the shelf at the library!
This non-fiction book has some really neat ideas and recipes. I copied the gingerbread recipe and plan to make it very soon.

The patterns and projects, for the most part, are simple. Instructions are easy to follow.

Would not mind having this book on my shelf at home.

Mentioned it on my Squidoo page December is Read a New Book Month!
Nov 16, 2009 Laura rated it it was ok
While I liked the idea of this book, many of the gifts and projects featured were a bit too country with messy results for me. If you have kids and they are into making things, this would probably be a great book for you. If I am going to go to the trouble of making something, I want it to look fairly professional, not like my sand candle making adventures from girl scouts. I will try a few of the recipes, however, they look great.
Marci -  Serendipitous Readings
Some of the projects do need some planning ahead, some are suited for children more than adults, but still a good book to get an idea of what activities you would want to do over the holidays. There is a strong recycling aspect to the book, although in some situations I wouldn't re-use some pieces for the projects.
Evan
Dec 30, 2008 Evan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Tamara
Shelves: domestics
Tamara, I may have found a Christmas book that even you would like! ;)

This green Christmas book focuses more on eco-friendly gifts, meals, and decorations. As such, it seemed less scary to me, as if the author was saying "I'm not trying to Grinch away your Christmas cheer, but here are some small alternate ways to celebrate."
Chelsea
May 19, 2011 Chelsea rated it it was amazing
I combined the felt garland characters with the stocking advent calendar, added my own little quirks and those advent calendars are a hit! Love this book, tried to make the sachertorte though, failed miserably :(
Emily
Oct 14, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it
A good all-around Christmas craft book with simple, but lovely projects and good advice for having a more eco-conscious Christmas. The book does have a British/European lean to it, since it was published there, but it doesn't detract from the book at all.
Rachael Lauritzen
Mar 05, 2013 Rachael Lauritzen rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, food, craft
Awesome ideas and tons of them, it's got ways to decorate, gifts to give, and holiday recipes, all with an eye to sustainable living, a moderate budget, artistic taste, and creativity. Most projects are very accessible.
Tamara
Sep 23, 2008 Tamara marked it as to-read
Evan,

I think no Christmas is the greenest Christmas of all. However, I am curious to see what they suggest...

Bah-humbug,
Tamara
Eva
Mar 17, 2013 Eva rated it liked it
The most interesting part of this book is the section dedicated to my mom's favorite Christmas treats, like stollen and pannetone. How did the author know??
Jan
Mar 15, 2010 Jan rated it liked it
there are ideas in this book for everyday gifts or projects for around your home. Don't let the title push you off until later date.
Dee
Jan 27, 2009 Dee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts, design, cookbooks
I really liked this book a lot. I will probably buy it. It is full of great ideas for cooking, crafts, decrorating and all so natural and beautiful. Great gift idea.
Bobbi
Oct 22, 2008 Bobbi rated it really liked it
The crafts in it are rather "country" for nmy taste, but the recipes are fantastic. They are for traditional Christmas foods from aournd the world and call for organic ingredients.
Messyfish
Oct 20, 2009 Messyfish rated it it was amazing
love it...am even doing some of the projects, just wish it was a bit more summery for an australian christmas
Kat
Kat rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2011
Bridget Harff
Bridget Harff rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2012
Vanessa W
Vanessa W rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2012
Tucker
Tucker rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2013
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2015
Anne Blanchard
Anne Blanchard rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2013
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2014
Natalie
Jan 02, 2010 Natalie rated it it was ok
another crafty book...
Aeowin
Aeowin rated it it was ok
Apr 09, 2014
Jennifer rated it liked it
May 19, 2015
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2008