Start by marking “Dare to Be Scared: Thirteen Stories to Chill and Thrill” as Want to Read:
Dare to Be Scared: Thirteen Stories to Chill and Thrill

Dare to Be Scared: Thirteen Stories to Chill and Thrill

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  21 reviews
This illustrated collection by the author of Short and Shivery: Thirty Chilling Tales includes ghost tales, ?jump? stories, dark fantasy, and science fiction, all set in contemporary situations that will seem hauntingly familiar to young readers. Several of the stories draw on the rich heritage of legends, folklore, and cultural traditions as they extend into children?s li...more
Published May 12th 2003 by Cricket Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Dare to Be Scared, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dare to Be Scared

The House With a Clock in Its Walls by John BellairsSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyThe Scary Stories Treasury by Alvin SchwartzThe Werewolf of Fever Swamp by R.L. StineThe Letter, the Witch, and the Ring by John Bellairs
Children's Horror Books
14th out of 43 books — 49 voters
The Faithful Friend by Robert D. San SouciThe Talking Eggs by Robert D. San SouciGiant Short and Shivery by Robert D. San SouciMore Short & Shivery by Robert D. San SouciShort & Shivery by Robert D. San Souci
Best of Robert D. San Souci
9th out of 18 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Kiram Kepp
This book was good because it had alot of diffrent stories in it. Some of theess stories were scarey but I was suppose to be asleep when I read this. I haven't choosen the best story yet. I might have to read it again,but if you like scarey stories then read this at night. It sends shocks down your spine. And it gets you thinking of whats gonig to happen next. The only problem was that it makes you feel like it should stay on one story other than just skipping around.
emilie.❤
Loooong before the days of Creepypasta, THIS was the REAL DEAL.
Oh my gosh. My 8 or 9 year-old self was scared out of her wits when she first read Playland, Ants and Hungry Ghosts. Holy craaap. And who could possibly forget THE CALLER? I remember telling the story of THE CALLER to some of my friends at a sleepover. It scared most of them I think.
Wow. For a kid's book, a few of these stories were pretty sick. I'd love to re-read some of them again.
Keyara Clay
this book is about scary stories that you can possibly get scared of. There is one storie called the dream, an dits about a kid who fell asleep and woke up in his dream and is trying to find a way home. But he walks around down the street and sees sombody who he thinks will help him. But everyone has teeth that get longer and longer as the people pass by. then he finds the place where he is sleeping and he wakes himself up. he then goes outside for a breath of fresh air and then a guy walks up...more
Christina
If your students like Alvin Schwartz's "Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark" series, then they will like this book/series.

The only story that I would be concerned about in this book is "The Halloween Spirit". In the story, a Keesha and her sister, onelle are out trick-or-treating. They decide to meet up with some of Keesha's friends in the park on Halloween. Keesha notices that her older friends have "beer, cigarettes, and stuff", but Keesha is too smart to mess with that stuff. The group make a p...more
Rick Dudeck
As a librarian, I shared several of these stories with my 3rd, 4th and 5th graders. They were scared to death by the story "The Caller". This is not really frightening for any student over the age of, say..11 or 12. They are creepy for younger ones, but probably won't give nightmares!
Connor
Stephanie
Great book for short scary stories.
Harry
Nov 06, 2008 Harry added it
This book is about this boy named cory and his sister ann. Their in this house thats hunted by goast. When I first picked this book up I was scared myself. I read it when it was dark at home. I was shivering under my cover. Now let me tell what the book is about. It all started on a hot summer day. Everey one was haveing a good day out side. But at night ann's and cory's house. Its like a hunted house to them. Everey time they went to sleep they would hear somthing. Like oooo...
ice cream
This book so far is about thirteen stories that are verey scary but I didn't read them all yet.My favorite story so far is the one when a boy went to the movies with his friends.But he didn't tell his mom what movie he was watching.Well he did,but he didn't tell her the right one.It was an ant movie but a violent one.He told her it was the disney movie called The Ant Bully.The movie that he went to watch with his friends was really to scary for him but he didn't know it yet.
Amy
The scare factor was very light because it's for a young audience, but I found the stories nicely creepy and refreshingly multicultural.

In a way it was kind of a warning to modern, sophisticated kids. "You think you know everything, with your cell phones and computers, there might be stuff out there that you can't explain away. There might be consequences you can't cajole your way out of."
Megan
Nov 19, 2008 Megan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Scary Story Addicts
Recommended to Megan by: Myself
San Souci wrote a few good stories, and packed them in this book, which I read quickly because the stories were so interesting. My favorite stroy in the book was Playland, and I can't tall you why, but something about the story is just so unnerving, and creative. I suggest to children 10-12 read, because it isn't really made for older kids or adults, but I mean it's still a great read.
Dan Tews
"Dare to Be Scared" was a great book and had very weird twists in the stories. The book had many different stories and ended the stories at the end of the chapters and would start a new story. I recommend this book to everyone that likes scary stories that have a weird twist to them. It would be a great book to read on the weekend or for class as a quiet read.
Tom Geiger
I thought this book was packed with tons of spooky short stories. Anyone who likes horror in any way, shape, or form would love this. Overall there wasn't a single flaw in these stories. They were all you would want in a book of short stories. I would definitely read this book.
Lily
I really liked this book! Dare to be Scared: Thirteen stories to chill and thrill has you hooked on the first story, if you like books that are little bit scary.
I recommend "The Caller" that was my favorite story in this book.
Olivia
Right now it is really lame..... I dont get the ends of the stories, like do the people die or what?? As of right now I am just reading it to finsh it and get it over with.
Nikki Gabriel
It was ok to begin with then it was giving me the creap of the scarey in it. I would give it two thumbs up.
Christi
Pretty decent collection of multicultural horror for young readers...would recommend for ages 7-10.
TW Mystery Reader
Each story is short enough to be read aloud in class and the stories are just scary enough.
Aiesha Anchan
Its good, just don't read it before bed!
Logan Melton
Nov 03, 2009 Logan Melton is currently reading it
very mystery. a lot of differnt stories
Hana Ellis
This book is great so far.
Janel
Janel marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Fox
Fox added it
Oct 13, 2014
Miranda Starmz
Miranda Starmz marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Mckenna Carr
Mckenna Carr marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Mr. San Souci lives in San Francisco, California.
More about Robert D. San Souci...
The Talking Eggs Cendrillon: A Caribbean Cinderella Cinderella Skeleton Short & Shivery The Faithful Friend