Start by marking “Jumpy Jack & Googily” as Want to Read:
Jumpy Jack & Googily

Jumpy Jack & Googily

Meet Jumpy Jack, a very nervous snail who’s afraid of monsters, and Googily, who is a—well, who is a very good friend, indeed. Wherever they go, Googily kindly checks high and low just to make sure there are no scary monsters about. But as every child knows, monsters come in many shapes and sizes. Some are even blue with hairy eyebrows and pointy teeth.

Here is a univ
Published April 29th 2008 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Jumpy Jack & Googily, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jumpy Jack & Googily

Tasha
Jul 07, 2008 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Picture books can be so derivative that it gets dull to open them and read one more. But the reason I keep on reading is that between all of the dull ones, there are gems. This book is original and genuinely funny.

Jumpy Jack, the snail is very afraid of monsters. Everywhere they go Googily has to check to make sure that monsters aren't there. Googily assures Jumpy Jack that it is silly to be so afraid and is amazed at his friends imagination. It gets especially ridiculous when Jumpy Jack imagine
Molly
Jul 01, 2008 Molly rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute story about how friendship colors perception. I think it moves a little slowly (at least for my read-a-loud tastes) and the overall joke (the snail is afraid of monsters, but he doesn't seem to notice that his friend actually is a monster) is a bit complex. So, maybe this is better for older kids. I read it to my three year old, and he laughed when I did, but I could tell he wasn't sure why he was laughing!
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
I really love the artist's style. Fabulous with the lines, the shapes, and the "whitened" (my own word for "mixing colors with white paint" - not pastel... slightly flattened) colors. The "jokes" though, are a bit tedious after a couple of repeats -- and the final pay-off did not wow me at all.
Shelly
May 18, 2010 Shelly rated it really liked it
Fun book. I love how everything that Jumpy Jack describes when talking about monsters that might be different places are things about Googily but he isn't afraid of Googily.
Melissa
Nov 11, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it
What a charmer this picture book is. Scores very high on the giggle-meter with my gang. Jumpy Jack is a snail of the most nervous sort. As lovably neurotic anthropomorphizations go, Jack's right up there with Piglet, friend of Pooh. Fortunately, Jumpy Jack has his best friend Googily to put his mind to rest when the monster-worries creep in. Jack fears monsters are lurking at every turn—monsters with big round eyes and sharp teeth and lolling tongues and possibly even creepy bowler hats. Googily ...more
Robin Gaphni
May 14, 2009 Robin Gaphni rated it it was amazing
If your kids like monsters (or even if they are afraid of them), here's a book that should make them laugh. Jumpy Jack & Googily by Meg Rosoff and illustrated by Sophie Blackall, has a fresh take on the whole monster thing.

Jumpy Jack is a timid snail with a big fear of monsters. He thinks they're everywhere, and turns to his best friend Googily to check out various situations. He asks Googily to check behind the door, under the table, in the pool. The thing that neither of them seems to real
Libby
Nov 07, 2014 Libby rated it really liked it
Jocelyn
Apr 27, 2010 Jocelyn rated it really liked it
I had to give this book 5 stars, not because of my own love of the book but because of my daughters'. My 19 month old especially loves it. She begs for us to read it all the time. We even bought it (cheap on Amazon) after she went through withdrawals when we took it back to the library. The book is cute enough, I guess. It just wouldn't have been one of my top choices had my daughters not loved it so much. It's repetetive and doesn't teach much, but my girls just love it. Also, there's a cute on ...more
Whole And
Aug 06, 2013 Whole And rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This is a very sweet book demonstrating how two friends help each other through their fears.

Jumpy Jack the snail who is seemingly scared of everything, living in the fear of 'what ifs' has Googily check for monsters everywhere! Although Googily seems so secure and confident that there are no monsters anywhere, he thoroughly soothes Jumpy Jack's fears by ensuring the monsters are not there. As it turns out, Jumpy Jack has to return the favour.

A story of friendship and a wonderful demonstration o
Emi Bevacqua
Oct 18, 2011 Emi Bevacqua rated it it was amazing
I don't rate a lot of kids books but this one deserves recognition. We love this book for the awesome illustrations (I'm partial to monster Googily's comb-over and unibrow), constant giggles, and the killer BOO! at the very end. My 4 yr olds like the repetition and I appreciate the tender portrayal of how good friends look out for each other, and do their best to allay each others fears no matter how irrational they may be.
Angela
Aug 23, 2008 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Jumpy Jack is afraid of monsters. Ironically, his best friend, Googily, seems to be exactly the type of monster he fears. Googily checks for monsters--described as looking distinctly like himself--everywhere monsters could hide in order to ease his friends mind. The humor is not lost on the young in this book--even the littlest ones laugh at the punch-line. The brilliant silliness, humor and illustrations make this one a winner.
Kate Hastings
Dec 26, 2008 Kate Hastings rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: little bit scary halloween picture book Pre-K- 1
Great for a "little bit scary" storytime. In this story-- a cute little snail named Jumpy Jack is scared that monsters lurk behind trees, in swimming pools and mailboxes. He has his friend Googily check to make sure monsters aren't going to jump out and scare them. The funny part is that Googily is a sort of scary odd-looking monster That Jumpy Jack doesn't consider a monster. At the end-- what Googily is really scared of is something that will make kids laugh!
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 The Brothers rated it it was amazing
Jumpy Jack is a very nervous snail who is constantly afraid that a monster will jump out and scare him. Ironically, he's wandering around with the very monster he fears the most (sharp teeth, scary hair, two fingered, long-footed) who dutifully checks all the places Jumpy Jack thinks a monster might lurk.

Excellent illustrations - both boys laughed uproarious every time we got to the picture of Googily checking under the bed for a monster.
Molly
Jan 13, 2009 Molly rated it it was amazing
Total Molly book here. It is a little weird and would be wonderful for a kid who is scared of monsters. Jumpy Jack keeps worring that there will be a monster and his best friend Googily (a monster) reassures him that it will all be ok. These are darling illustrations and I love how much personality they express. Ages 3+
Melanie
Jumpy Jack the snail is afraid of monsters. His friend Googily, assures him that there won't be monsters to scare him. He double checks behind a tree, in the tool shed, in the pool, in the house, under the table and under the bed. Indeed, Googily is right. There are no monsters.

There is, however, a sock under Googily's bed that keeps him awake at night!
Tara
Dec 22, 2008 Tara rated it liked it
Jumpy Jack is cute little nervous snail who is terribly afraid of monsters. His friend, Googily (who any child would recognize as a monster) is very kind and checks everywhere that Jumpy Jack goes to make sure there aren't any monsters. I think it would make a very funny storytime paired with Leonardo the Terrible Monster by Mo Willems.
Mama
Sep 23, 2014 Mama rated it it was amazing
I have read this as a bedtime story three times since checking it out from the library.
It's very cute. Jumpy Jack (the snail) is afraid of monsters hiding everywhere. But it seems he is afraid of a particular kind of monster. The kind he is afraid of sounds very much like his friend Googily. Googily isn't afraid of monsters, but he is afraid of something hiding under his bed.
Dayna
Aug 22, 2008 Dayna rated it really liked it
An interesting pairing of friends - a monster and a snail. The snail is afraid of everything and the monster being a good friend is always sure to check things out first. Then we find that the monster himself has a fear!

The illustrations in this one also make for a great book experience overall.
Dana
Jan 22, 2016 Dana rated it it was amazing
I really like this book! The illustrations are cute and the story is sweet and funny as Jumpy Jack the snail keeps asking his friend Googily to check everywhere for monsters that might be there. Neither one of them realizes that Googily himself is the monster that Jack is describing and Googily is such a kind and helpful friend. I think this is a fun monster book.
Agnes
Jun 24, 2009 Agnes rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Behind the tree, in the tool shed, in the pool, behind the door, under the table, and under the bed... the monster could be anywhere. Googily checks all those places but finds no monster but someone in the story really fits the monster description Jumpy Jack keeps bringing up. Who's the monster after all? A sock surprise is in store at the end.
Amy Brown
Jul 01, 2008 Amy Brown rated it really liked it
A monster story for kids who don't want something scary. Jumpy Jack is afraid that there is a monster everywhere but his friend Googily helps him out by looking everywhere for a monster and finding nothing. The funny part to the story is that Googily is a monster but Jumpy Jack doesn't notice because Googily is such a good friend.
Jill
Jan 25, 2017 Jill rated it really liked it
I found this amusing, but it would have been funnier if the description of the kind of monster Jumpy Jack was afraid of weren't exactly like the monster he is walking with. A more subtle approach would have worked better, in my opinion. I did like that Jumpy Jack spent all day being afraid, but when it was time to go to sleep, Googily was afraid of something too.
Jennifer Mitchell
Jan 06, 2012 Jennifer Mitchell rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Jumpy Jack is scared of monsters. He imagines they could be hiding anywhere. His best friend Googily makes sure they aren't. Googily also happens to be a monster.

This one gives us the giggles. The pictures make the story.
I like how the snail announced his fears then his friend unintentionally made them come to life by checking for monsters. I loved the twist ending. I would read this book to talk about fears and perspectives.
Tricia
Nov 04, 2009 Tricia rated it really liked it
jumpy jack is a neurotic little snail terrified of monsters. his best friend is you guessed it, a monster. humorous for chldren savvy enough to catch the irony. even if they don't "get" all of it, the ilustrations are expressive and silly.
Suzanne
Nov 24, 2008 Suzanne rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Um, it was kinda weird and kinda cute. My daughter was very solemn throughout the book so I thought the joke was over her head. But when I finished she said "That was a very good book." So, you know, what do I know?
Amy Wise
Jul 11, 2012 Amy Wise rated it really liked it
This is a cute story about a snail and his monster friend, Googily. Snail is afraid of monsters and asks Googily to look all over to make sure there aren't any monsters. I thought it was a great little story.
Denise
Feb 17, 2009 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great lesson in irony for the youngest of children. Jumpy Jack is afraid of monsters, so it's a good thing his best friend (a giant, blue monster) is kind enough to check for monsters everywhere they go.
Angie
Jun 20, 2011 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
These two are a pair. The poor little snail is so afraid of a monster he asks his friend to look for one everywhere. Of course if I'd been reading this with kids the entire time they would have been "BUT HE IS A MONSTER!"
Tara
Aug 31, 2011 Tara rated it really liked it
If my two year old were rating this, she'd say Five stars. She loved this book so much that she chatted with her Daddy about it at dinner. She LOVED it. Mama, on the other hand, didn't get the big deal. Illustrations weren't great. Kinda boring. Aren't I a buzz killer?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Little Hoot
  • Never Take a Shark to the Dentist (and Other Things Not to Do)
  • Augustine
  • Madam President
  • Katie Loves the Kittens
  • Are You A Horse?
  • The Terrible Plop
  • There Was An Old Monster!
Meg Rosoff was born in Boston and had three or four careers in publishing and advertising before she moved to London in 1989, where she lives now with her husband and daughter. Formerly a Young Adult author, Meg has earned numerous prizes including the highest American and British honors for YA fiction: the Michael L. Printz Award and the Carnegie Medal.
More about Meg Rosoff...