Start by marking “Everything Good Will Come” as Want to Read:
Everything Good Will Come

Everything Good Will Come

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  326 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Everything Good Will Come introduces an important new voice in contemporary fiction. It is 1971, a year after the Biafran War, and Nigeria is under military rule - though the politics of the state matter less than those of her home to Enitan Taiwo, an eleven-year-old girl tired of waiting for school to start. Will her mother, who has become deeply religious since the death...more
Published January 13th 2005 by Interlink Books (first published January 12th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Everything Good Will Come, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything Good Will Come

The Gods Are Not to Blame by Ola RotimiThings Fall Apart by Chinua AchebeHalf of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi AdichieThe Joys of Motherhood by Buchi EmechetaThe Lion and the Jewel by Wole Soyinka
Books Set in Nigeria
10th out of 115 books — 50 voters
Things Fall Apart by Chinua AchebeHalf of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi AdichiePurple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi AdichieThe Thing Around Your Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi AdichieThe Famished Road by Ben Okri
Books by Nigerian Authors
14th out of 78 books — 53 voters

More lists with this book...

karen
in my mind, because i am notoriously illiterate when it comes time to read the back covers of books, this was going to be a novel about biafra. and i thought to myself - "oh, i loved Half of a Yellow Sun, i will read this one as well and it will be excellent".

the back of the book clearly says it begins a year after biafra. and that's fine - it is more about post-biafra coups and reconstruction and the shock of aftermath, politically, but really that is all backdrop for this one woman's story, b...more
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
This is an interesting and colorful, but also disjointed and rushed, story of a young woman growing up in Lagos, Nigeria. It begins in 1971, when she’s 11, and ends when she’s 35. Unlike a lot of African literature, this book seems aimed more at insiders than outsiders (unsurprising since it specifically discusses this issue), with the result that the story and setting seem complex and authentic, although some of the dialogue was confusing to me as an American reader.

There isn’t really a plot he...more
liz
Fantastic Nigerian novel!!! It was really, really nice to read something that was stylistically so different from American/European novels. It follows the life of a woman as she grows up and becomes a lawyer. One of the things that I most appreciated about it was that the protagonist, Enitan, makes very conscientious decisions about what she wants for her life, about being a "modern woman," among other thintgs.

"It's easier to walk around a rock," she said. "Than to break it down, and you still g...more
Mphokolo
Definitely a must read. It took me 2 mornings and putting off things I had to do just to get to the next chapter, and then next page until I finally finished the book. My first foray into contemporary west african literature. Not being a great fan of fiction I like how events and real life/practical events are brought to life throughout the book. As cliched as this sounds, it also adresses tensions we as "modern people" face and the choices we make despite and in spite of circumstance. Bottom li...more
Mena
This book struck depressingly close to home for me. An incredibly compelling story held together by a not-altogether likeable narrator (which, strangely enough, tends to be my favourite kind - I enjoy a anti-hero(ine) which she isn't exactly, but I still found I felt somewhat ambivalently towards her), the novel tells the life story of Enitan, a Nigerian woman, from childhood through adolescence, early adulthood and marriage. At the same time,it sketches a picture of modern Nigeria from the time...more
Precious Williams
Mar 20, 2010 Precious Williams rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of quality fiction, fans of contemporary Nigerian fiction
Recommended to Precious by: Catherine McKinley
Atta is every bit as gifted as Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, but she receives far less recognition.
Emma
Can be a difficult read, but a good insight into a different way of life in Nigeria.
V.E.
I was told this was a critically acclaimed Nigerian book so patriot that I am, I decided to give it a try. By the time I was halfway through I did not see any reason to finish it other than the fact that I had already started. I will not pick it up again except for a class, and even then I will be reluctant to do so.

It started out interesting enough. I liked the childhood story and found Enitan's friend, Sheri very complex and fascinating. Enitan was only interesting because of the role she play...more
Carolee Weber
Good book, but not great. Uneven writing -- some great patches here and there, but a lot of very average prose. It was interesting to me because I'm living in Lagos, so much is familiar, but I don't know if someone unfamiliar with Nigeria would find it very compelling. The plot (if there is one) is rambling -- it's supposedly about the relationship between the main character (who I never really liked that much) and her wild friend, but much of the book doesn't focus on that at all. Some of it ju...more
Motunrayo
I enjoyed this book. It was widely written. Touched so many areas such as, writing, politics, millitary, family, relationships, youth. The list is endless. An interesting story and funny characters. Although, I don't like the ending, I expected Sefi to tell us what happened to the protagonist and other characters in the story, not just leaving us hanging in the storyline. Moreso, I don't agree with some attitudes the protagonist displayed. It's just too much and one could be easily influenced. A...more
Jen
Jun 22, 2008 Jen rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: africa
Gives a feel of life in upper middle class Nigeria. Mostly focused on how crappy it is to be a woman in Africa - even educated, still only token freedoms allowed. I didn't know how unstable and opressive the government of that country was, perhaps since it seems to have a repuation of stability and functionality among African countries. Necessary topics, perhaps, but a fairly boring read. There also is the feeling in the beginning (and in cover blurbs) that the entire story centers around the ma...more
Ugo Chime
I have to say, I didn't like this book. I didn't like it one bit. It was well written yes, but I think I hated almost every character in this book. Those I didn't hate, I didn't care much about. It was a book, when I finished reading it, I went on a rant on facebook & wondered why the heck I spent money buying it.
Oluseun Obikoya
Well written book on fulfillment of our dreams and wishes. The stars will align eventually and patience is a virtue to be extolled.
Folusho Adepoju
Really interesting novel. Captures the trouble Nigeria faced during the military regime, the struggle of an African woman, pretending to be happy to secure a peaceful home.
Rose Marie
The style is one is which it is as if she is writing in her journal to a good friend. There is only her perspective, one of an foreign educated upper class woman who struggles with many of the very basic assumptions of her culture, especially when dealing with gender. She is also struggling with creating her own path in the midst of a world simply struggling to survive as is.

I appreciated this perspective of life in Nigeria. I did not ever feel pity for the main character, nor any other characte...more
Brandi
Although I love reading about other countries and other lives, this was a little hard to follow. I felt like it was delivered in small snapshots along a life with large gaps of missing information in-between. I liked the voices of the characters and found them to be dimensional as well as changing as they grew up. The wars, coups, and changes within the government was sketchy at best, and I was lost in how the main character only seemed to care after her family became involved.
Lizboddie
an enduring and everlasting friendship between two girls. enjoyed.
Beth Hartnett
Not only did I enjoy an imtimate glimpse into a culture I know next to nothing about, but the author's eloquent touch with a story line kept me enthralled. I particularly enjoyed her take on the protaganist's return to her home country after living abroad. It is so true that even a long vacation away from home is very useful for looking at your community in a new light. As much as I love leaving, I always love coming home again!
Brad
this was a good book, but not great. i couldn't help but compare it to "half a yellow sun", a book by another young nigerian woman, and it always fell short, mostly because "half a yellow sun" was brilliant. this book was good, it just felt like a first novel, not quite filled out enough. i do believe sefi atta is an author to watch and her next book will be even better.
Andrea
This is a lively, engaging story of a young woman who grows up shortly after the Biafran conflict. She gradually comes to question many of the "givens" of gender roles and political life in Nigeria and moves from passive acceptance and fear to activism. I got caught up in the story and the rich, vivid writing. Highly recommend this.
Stephanie Hill Alexander
Mar 15, 2010 Stephanie Hill Alexander rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Stephanie Hill by: IDEARS member
In my opinion this was the worst book our book club has read in the last 3 years. We read approx. 11 books a year and this was aweful. There was nothing redeeming about the main character; her level of depth focused soley on herself. The book was a hard read to complete for all the members in our book club.
Kyle
I thought this book was excellent. It was passionate and hope filled. I couldn't put it down. Her struggles with friends, school, relationships, were all so familar and I could relate. The book also showed her development as a woman and as a feminist - powerful. The woman in the book hold key roles, very inspiring.
Tara
This would never be a book I'd go out of my way to read unless a book club made me - which is what happened. It was a pretty good book - not my normal type of book, but written very well and interesting most of the time. I'm determined to expose myself to more non-Western lit, and this definitely qualified.
Lindsay
This was required reading for an intro Women's Studies course and therefore I completed it in one evening to take the quiz the next morning. Many of the other reviewers seem to find issue with both the plot and main characters, but I liked both and I am not a native Nigerian.
Allie
Interesting story of two girls growing up in Nigeria, but much better with characters than with plot. It's only been a month since I've read it, and I'm already having trouble remembering what it was about, although I remember the two girls vividly.
Ese
Nov 20, 2007 Ese rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Africa
There were many issues this book touched on that spoke to me personally. At first it was hard getting "comfortable" with the book, but once settled and free of my own image of what Nigeria has meant to me, I really enjoyed this book.
Steven Sears
Beautifully written, brought Lagos and the strong characters to life. The relationships, hardships, injustices were very real. Written very sensitively and with a great deal of humour.
Nicole
I had about 60 pages to go then called it quits. If I wasn't into the book by the final 60 pages, I was never going to be. Not a bad read, just didn't hold my attention.
Kim
Nigerian contemp....1971-1995 Lagos, Nigeria....women in the politically disturbed modern day Nigeria. Written for Nigerians looking at themselves - not for outsiders looking in.
Rose
Nov 18, 2007 Rose rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in contemporary Nigerian literature
Its an interesting coming of age story about a young Nigerian woman living in contemporary patriarchal society and the decisions that she makes in an attempt to change things.
Great African Reads: April | "Everything Good will Come" 26 24 May 21, 2012 08:42AM
  • Measuring Time
  • An Elegy for Easterly: Stories
  • Ambiguous Adventure
  • Wizard of the Crow
  • Houseboy
Sefi Atta was born 1964 in Lagos, Nigeria. She was educated there, in England and the United States. Her father Abdul-Aziz Atta was the Secretary to Federal Government and Head of the Civil Service until his death in 1972, and she was raised by her mother Iyabo Atta.

A former chartered accountant and CPA, she is a graduate of the creative writing program at Antioch University, Los Angeles. Her shor...more
More about Sefi Atta...
Swallow A Bit of Difference News From Home: Short Stories (Interlink World Fiction) It's My Turn! Lawless & Other Stories