Start by marking “Distant Heart (Westward Hearts #2)” as Want to Read:
Distant Heart (Westward Hearts #2)

Distant Heart (Westward Hearts #2)

Published January 2nd 2008 by Avon Inspire (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Distant Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Distant Heart

About the book:

Toni Rodden has escaped a life of prostitution and vows she'll never let a man control her again. After months on the wagon train, she's finally earned her place, albeit grudgingly from some, and has found a surrogate family in Fannie Caldwell and her two siblings. For the first time she can taste freedom and the possibilities of a new life. But as Fannie prepares to marry wagon master Blake Tanner, Toni realizes how alone she is and questions whether she'll ever find acceptance,
Judy
Aug 03, 2014 Judy rated it really liked it
This book in #2 in the Westward Hearts series, and although there are references to happenings before this story, it really can stand alone. Ms. Bateman develops her characters and you understand them and their story from the beginning.

I liked Toni and Fannie from the beginning. It is a story set in the settling of the West as wagon trains traveled the Oregon Trail on their way west to a brighter future. Toni has a less than stellar past and Sam Two Feathers, one of the wagon train hands is par
Sheri Salatin
Mar 23, 2009 Sheri Salatin rated it liked it
Toni Rodden escaped with Fannie from a brothel. Now she vows that she will never again let any man control or use her. She is heading to Oregon to make a new life for herself. She's struggling to earn the respect from the her neighbors on the wagon train and trying desperately to let go of her past.
Sam Two-Feathers is half-Indian, half-white. He is the scout for the wagon train and he sees something special in Toni. He knows that since she has now committed her life to Jesus Christ, that she is
Kathryn
May 19, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Margaret Chind

Here, we take on the continued adventure from Defiant Heart but from the perspective of the ex-prostitute Toni and her journey to the Oregon territory. If the trip is not difficult enough without other events thrown in here and there... Try Indian Attacks and kidnappings, adultery and murder, and a new strange girl Ginger into their midst. Will the Cheyenne get there way and get Toni for their keeping? Who is Ginger and what does she want? Will the children and sister from the other wagon train
Mayda
Mar 13, 2016 Mayda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Toni is longing to put her past behind, a life of prostitution, and begin life anew out west. But even on the wagon train, sheltered by a few friends and protected by the master of the wagon train and his scout, she is persecuted by the others on the train as well as people from her past who show up to torment her. Toni seeks forgiveness, but is unsure if she deserves it. Her quest for forgiveness and peace is the thrust of this tale. Wrapped around this theme is a interesting story of the dange ...more
Beverly
May 06, 2015 Beverly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beauty for Ashes

A beautiful story of self doubt , unworthiness, uncleaniness of how ones past can be washed clean by the blood of Jesus Christ . Jesus spilled His blood on the cross so that thru him we could be washed clean, forgiven, and purified. Sam also had to realize that he was being deceived by the spirit of prejudice and remember red or yellow black or white we are precious in His Sight.
Tiffany Gallant
Dec 17, 2014 Tiffany Gallant rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-books
I didn't expect the book to turn out like it did. I am on a search for christian books with ex prostitute themes in them, since I have a traumatic past like that too. I still deal with being a christian now, and getting over that past, knowing I am new and my past is forgiven, but it is hard not to be insecure and not to compare myself to other Godly women. I loved this book, because the main character went through those same trials, and in the end, she found her true identity in Christ. :)
Kate
Sep 18, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it
As with the first book of this series, this is a 'grab you from the first word and doesn't let go until the end' kind of novel. I finished it far quicker than I expected to and really enjoyed it! It was cool to find out what happens next on the wagon train's journey to Oregon and meet some new characters. I'm looking forward to the final installment in the series!
Teresa Snyder
Jul 11, 2012 Teresa Snyder rated it it was amazing
I'm really enjoying the Westward Hearts series. Although each book could be a stand alone book, they are so much better when read together. Loved reading about Toni and Sam in this book while reading more about Blake and Fannie from book one. Looking forward to book three where we'll focus on Grant and Ginger. That should be interesting.
SheLove2Read
Sep 27, 2011 SheLove2Read rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
For anyone who's ever asked themselves the question of how God could love them, despite their former life of sin, this story will resonate with them. Thought provoking and sometimes painful to read. Beauty for ashes indeed.
May 12, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: bateman-tracey-v
Velma
Jul 22, 2010 Velma rated it it was amazing
Inspirational, leaves you with a happy feeling. Trust in the ones that love you they might suprise you. They will accept you at face value.
Shannah Mauney
Aug 08, 2013 Shannah Mauney rated it it was amazing
This book is compelling and wonderful. The perfect picture of how God's love erases your past and makes you new!
Aug 20, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
This was a good book. Nothing overly exciting but was a good book and I would recommend it. It was easy reading, made you want to keep reading. It had a good moral story too it.
Tara
May 03, 2011 Tara rated it really liked it
I loved the continuation of this series. Wonderful read that reminds us just how important forgiveness, love, and friendship are to all of us. I can't wait to read the third.
Mar 18, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book, which is #2 in a series. I have always had a soft spot for the old "wagon train heading west" type books. This is a good one!
Cindy
Chantel
Mar 02, 2013 Chantel rated it it was amazing
Exccelent
Missy
Missy rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2012
Claudia Sharp
Claudia Sharp rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2013
Lizzie
Lizzie rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2011
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
May 21, 2008
Bethany
Bethany rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2013
Dawn Hand
Dawn Hand rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2016
Veronica
Veronica rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2009
Deirdre
Deirdre rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2015
Deb
Deb rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2014
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • For Pete's Sake (Piper Cove Chronicles #2)
  • A Texas Legacy Christmas (Texas Legacy #4)
  • Prairie Storm (A Town Called Hope, #3)
  • Sister's Choice (Patchwork Circle, #2)
  • With Endless Sight (Crossroads of Grace #3)
  • Leaving November (Clayburn, #2)
  • In His Arms (Coming to America #3)
  • Patience  (Brides of the West, #6)
  • Single Sashimi (Sushi, #3)
  • Rebecca's Reward (Daughters of Blessing, #4)
  • A Promise for Spring (Heart of the Prairie #3)
  • Surrender the Night (Surrender to Destiny, # 2)
  • A Bond Never Broken (Daughters of Amana, #3)
  • Homecoming
  • Sing (The Homeward Trilogy, #2)
Tracey Bateman is also published as Tracey Cross, is the Christy award-winning author of more than thirty titles and has nearly a million books in print. She lives in Missouri's Ozarks with her husband and four children.
More about Tracey Bateman...

Westward Hearts (3 books)
  • Defiant Heart (Westward Hearts #1)
  • Dangerous Heart (Westward Hearts #3)