Start by marking “Self-Portrait (Three Girls in the City, #1)” as Want to Read:
Self-Portrait (Three Girls in the City, #1)

Self-Portrait (Three Girls in the City #1)

From award winning author Jeanne Betancourt the 1st in a series telling the story of 3 girls who meet at a photo workshop in NYC and learn a lot about who they are - and what real friendship is.

NYC, 2002. Three13 year-old girls meet at a summer photo class: Carolyn, fresh from Wyoming, motherless and scared; Joy, who has everything plus a bad attitude, and Maya from Harlem
Mass Market Paperback, 176 pages
Published June 1st 2003 by Scholastic Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Self-Portrait, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Self-Portrait

Emily
Oct 22, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: to anyone who always wants to know whats happens next.
Shelves: boring-books
Three Girls in the City - Self portrait
By Jeanne Betancourt
Review by Emily Schultz

Three girls. Friends. Well…
Maya, Carolyn, and Joy are all girls taking the same photography workshop, they get paired together and things are like a rollercoaster from there.
I liked this book a lot and I would recommend it to someone who likes a little mystery and a wacko friendship style, kind of book.
The three girls are assigned to take pictures of their self, family, and their neighborhood.
Some say planning is
Shayla
Jan 08, 2015 Shayla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three Girls In The City Self Portrait By Jeanne Betancourt 162 pages

Three girls in the city is about how you can be someone you never thought you would be. Caroline is new to New York because she just moved from Wyoming. Caroline is not sure she likes it in New York. Caroline is tall and has red hair. Maya has lived in one part of New York for her hole life. Maya is tall, her skin color is light brown, and her hair is black. Joy is not so joyful. Joy is tall and has brown/black hair, Joy is not
Lilly
Aug 14, 2008 Lilly rated it it was amazing
This is a great series of books that tells how you can become best friends who are completely different from you.
Kaitlyn
Oct 21, 2008 Kaitlyn rated it it was amazing
This book is all about fate- three girls who move to new york city from different states just happen to be taking the same photography classes and all see the same guy and decide to do a project on him because he has peircings everywhere. The girls are all as different as could be but end up spending a lot of time together and become friends all because of this strange guy and their project!
Ruth Martinez
Apr 27, 2011 Ruth Martinez rated it liked it
This book is about three girls who live in New York City, they are very good frinds. The trouble started when one of them started feeling discriminated for her skin color, she thinks that she is different because of that, but the other two girls don't care they like her friend for the way she is not for the skin color. This book shows how is to live in New York City. is very good book.
Zoren
Dec 16, 2011 Zoren added it
This was a really good book. It was about three girls in New York City. They take photography workshop, but they dont know each other. They became close when they had to be partners on an assignment.
Gabby
Jun 01, 2011 Gabby rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It showed that real friends take time to warn up to each other. Sometimes you don't even start out as complete friends. You start out as enemys and work your way up.
storystereo
I forgot all about this series until I came across it again today. Funny, because I still remember how much I loved it. I think I'll have to read them again...
Taylor
Jan 23, 2009 Taylor rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing.These three 13 yr old girls are totally oppisites.Later in the book they become best friends.
Marshaunte
Jan 28, 2010 Marshaunte rated it did not like it
. this is book is about three girls taking some time to rome free in the city
Ashley Zander
Sep 19, 2012 Ashley Zander rated it really liked it
wish i had the second one now, cant keep reading without it
Ashley
Jun 13, 2011 Ashley rated it it was amazing
I LOVED IT I read as a book club book for school.
Prachi Jadhav
Prachi Jadhav marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Lubhavni Dewan
Lubhavni Dewan rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Brooklynn M
Brooklynn M rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2016
Charity Keith
Charity Keith marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Taylor Gadaleta
Taylor Gadaleta rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Preetha Devi
Preetha Devi marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Jenna Axel
Jenna Axel rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Ashley Milton
Ashley Milton rated it it was ok
Jun 26, 2016
Kagajwalaminazgmail.Com
Kagajwalaminazgmail.Com marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
val
val marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Mrslabraden
Mrslabraden marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it it was ok
Jun 07, 2016
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
  • How I Survived Being a Girl
  • Kaya's Escape! (American Girls: Kaya, #2)
  • Three Girls and a God (Goddesses, #2)
  • Witch Twins (Witch Twins, #1)
  • The Mandie Collection, Volume 2 (Mandie #6-10)
  • The Pet Store Sprite (Pixie Tricks, #3)
  • Alice in Blunderland
  • Con-Fidence
  • Dear Levi: Letters from the Overland Trail: Letters from the Overland Trail
  • The Scarecrows
  • The Cry of the Crow
  • Madeline Says Merci: The Always-Be-Polite Book
  • Abby's Un-Valentine (The Baby-Sitters Club, #127)
  • Apple Island, Or The Truth About Teachers
  • Bad Dreams
  • Buckskin Bandit (Winnie the Horse Gentler, #8)
  • Jake Drake, Teacher's Pet
  • The Case of the Spooky Sleepover (Jigsaw Jones Mystery #4)
When I was growing up I never thought of being an author. I was a terrible speller and didn't want to write any more than I had to. I wanted to be a tap dancer when I grew up. After a few years of teaching junior high and high school, I wrote my first novel. It was a surprise to discover that I liked making up stories and writing them down. I liked it so much that eventually I stopped teaching and ...more
More about Jeanne Betancourt...

Three Girls in the City (4 books)
  • Exposed (Three Girls in the City, #2)
  • Black and White (Three Girls in the City, #3)
  • Close-Up (Three Girls in the City, #4)