Start by marking “The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook: Dyeing, Painting, Spinning, Designing, Knitting” as Want to Read:

With simple directions and tips on how to dye, paint, spin, and knit yarn to create authentic socks, this book offers all the information necessary to fashion socks with personality. Included are innovative patterns and tips for knitting socks with customized fit--even for all ten toes. Safe and easy directions are given on dyeing yarn from pour-dyeing methods to dyeing wi ...more
Published October 1st 2002 by Interweave Press

To ask other readers questions about The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook

Diane
Nov 24, 2009 Diane rated it really liked it
Excellent primer for those interested in preparing and dyeing fiber. An enlightening discussion of ways to spin a dyed roving to end up with many different looks in your yarn follows.

The book wraps up with a thorough discussion of sock knitting. Why choose this heel over that? Which edge cast-on is better.

If you buy one book to learn this - this is the one to buy.
Linera
Jun 26, 2007 Linera rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting
A nefarious and delightful gang of knitters, spinners, and dyers, who congregate at the Black Sheep Gathering in Eugene every June. The book is well-organized, with good photos. I've made a pair of socks from here, the ones with the ruffled cast-on. I'm a sock newbie, still amazed at the turning of the heel...
Felicia
May 18, 2014 Felicia rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book the info on dyeing and spinning was a nice surprise. I plan on reading more of their books and someday I might actually learn how to knit. I liked the cold press technique the best out of what I read.
Skyblueteapot
Oct 06, 2014 Skyblueteapot rated it liked it
More useful if you regard socks as an art form and less useful if you want to learn how to spin and knit sturdy, comfortable, hard-wearing socks. The authors also do not prepare their own fleece, but spin ready-prepared fibre.
Sasha
Jan 04, 2011 Sasha rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, crafts
Will probably come back to this book if/when I ever start knitting socks. While the sections on color & dyes are more oriented to synthetic dyes, the section on spinning is useful, especially on managing color.
Theresa
May 23, 2010 Theresa rated it it was ok
Shelves: knitting
Not really crazy about this one either. Spends a lot of time on spinning and dying your own yarn. What patterns there are really didn't interest me and really weren't patterns per se. There was a basic cuff down and toe up sock pattern and then variations on different techniques.
Chade66
Dec 26, 2008 Chade66 rated it it was ok
Not a beginning knitters book on socks that's for sure. Most of the book is about dying and spinning in order to create yarn to make colorful socks. I found the basic sock pattern too difficult to understand.
Mindofwinter
Nov 11, 2010 Mindofwinter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting, spinning, dyeing
This is one of my all-time favorite resources for spinning. It clearly shows pre-drafting and spinning methods in a way other books don't (especially the pre-drafting) and is accessible to beginners. Discusses spindle-spinning rather than wheel-spinning.
Vesper Stamper
I really like it but I wish they had more patterns. I think for the scope of what it tries to cover it's too small. It needs to be about 4x as thick. BUT it's inspiring and pretty pretty. Someday I'll master the drop spindle and someday I'll buy the 25 packs of Kool-Aid to dye my yarn.
Mary
Nov 13, 2012 Mary rated it it was ok
Focuses more on dying and spinning them I expected. Found the sock pattern confusing, it is broken down into sections instead of a pattern.
Bunny
Jun 01, 2015 Bunny rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-10
Wow.

Yeah, I can't do anything in this book. But if I could, this would be an excellent way to learn.

Wow.
Martine
Aug 20, 2010 Martine rated it liked it
Shelves: knit-and-crochet
There are many other books out there better for socks HOWEVER, this book is a good resource for spinning and dying.
Constance Brewer
Constance Brewer rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Kristi
Kristi rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2008
TeaandCakes
TeaandCakes rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2008
Rita	 Marie
Rita Marie rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2012
Maryann Vaughan
Maryann Vaughan rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
Asma Ahmed
Asma Ahmed rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2011
Craft Evolve
Craft Evolve rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2010
Linn
Linn rated it liked it
May 18, 2012
Lorraine
Lorraine rated it did not like it
Mar 27, 2015
Bev watts
Bev watts rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2015
Lorri
Lorri rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2012
Kimberli
Kimberli rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2008
Kerry
Kerry rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2009
Lesley
Lesley rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2008
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2008
Saundra Mcbride
Saundra Mcbride rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2013
  • Knitting on the Road
  • New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One
  • The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns
  • More Sensational Knitted Socks
  • Charted Knitting Designs: A Third Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • Lace Style
  • Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles: A Manual of Elegant Knitting Techniques and Patterns
  • Victorian Lace Today