Start by marking “Miss Understanding” as Want to Read:
Miss Understanding

Miss Understanding

2.58 of 5 stars 2.58  ·  rating details  ·  212 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Zoe Rose never quite fit in.

As the only kid in kindergarten with an enormous red afro, Zoe was taunted by the other little girls for refusing to share her "Annie" wig, even when she swore it was her own hair (it was).

In second grade, after seeing her best friend ridiculed for wearing a dirty, pink, polka-dot party dress to school every day, she became obsessed with underst
Published October 24th 2006 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Understanding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Understanding

Tina
Okay, so I love chick lit, and judging from the blurb on the back of the book, it appeared that this book was chick lit. It may have been, but it didn't fit the formula. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. What was bad was the constant confusion I had over what was going on. First person narrative only works if you can understand what the narrator is thinking (and doing). Maybe that was the point, but the entire time, I'm thinking, what is going on here? You can tell that something is going on ...more
Margaux
Feb 05, 2008 Margaux rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone in to self torture
If I could give this book negative stars, I probably would. This was probably the worst book I've ever read, including my high school Algebra text books.
I was so angry at the lack of plot and character development, I continued to read it, in the hopes that the ending would blow me away and make up for the time I wasted reading it.
Instead I was let done with the anticlimactic ending and the last chapters that rush to ensure each character has a happy ending. From the ridiculously unbelievable ma
Dawn Michelle
Sep 09, 2008 Dawn Michelle rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: NO ONE!!!
Recommended to Dawn Michelle by: Kelly Maister
YUCK! YUCK! YUCK!
Look, I am ALL about chick-lit. Totally. I read Nora Roberts for heaven's sake. But this bored me from the first paragraph (WITH the notable exception of when she goes to her first meeting with her large breast hanging OUT of her shirt)!! I so didn't enjoy it and I am SO not going to pretend I did. It had the same tone and cattiness of "Jane Austen book Club" (which I ALSO disliked greatly) and to be honest, I remember very little about this book. I really cannot believe I wast
Heather
After finishing this book I went back to look at some reviews. Mainly because I am thinking "I wonder if anyone else hated this book as much as me". Turns out most do thankfully. I thought the entire thing was weird, pointless, bizarre and oh yeah, the main character Zoe is NUTS!

I will add this to the list and pretend like I didn't waste my time reading this. I don't know if I will read anything else by this author; perhaps if I get desperate.
bookczuk
Made it about 100 pages in, but ultimately didn't care about any of the characters or the situations. And Zoe's big fashion faux pas in the beginning could have been avoided if she'd applied a safety pin to her bra as well. What 36DD woman goes out in public, to a business meeting, bra-less? I don't care if you don't care or know style. It just wouldn't happen, unless your breasts figured prominently in your career.
KBev
This book was an easy read, but the writing is horrible. I was very intrigued by the summary on the back of the book and the concept is good, but the the writing is just terrible. When she's talking as if she's in kindergarten, she uses grown up words and sentences. Nothing that a little girl in kindergarten would ever say. It should at least be believable.
Erica Glass
Oct 30, 2007 Erica Glass rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: smart but silly
I started out hating this book but I was on an airplane so I kept going with it. A while into it I started to really appreciate the message, if not the main character so much. I think it had interesting points about the way woman interact with each other as well as family dynamics.
Emily
I tried to ignore the reviews on this one but even for a bargain book I was a little bored and disappointed. It was a little hard to follow who was talking when and the timeline was a little crazy. Don't recommend.
Rose
It really wasn't my cup of tea, and I'm not apt to recommend it to many people. I'm usually fair about giving books a fair shot, even if they're from genres that I don't normally read. I don't know if I absolutely hated it, but I definitely don't rank it as a good read. At least it was very easy to digest (I read it in about a day).

The story focuses on a rather flawed and seemingly quirky magazine editor who has a lot going on in her life, and she seems to speak in a dialect that's meant to be q
Now I'm scared after reading the reviews, but I often end up liking the underdogs. I guess I can't expect much for my $5 B&N finds.

I'm not too far in, but I have to comment. No, this isn't the greatest book ever. But it's holding me interest. Normally I'll read books and think things like "wow, I've done that, I've thought that, I totally know what you are talking about." Not the case with this book. Zoe is nuts to me. She's 4'7" (ok, I get the short thing, though I'm that short), she's got
Julie
Having had a look at some of the reviews of this book, I wasn't expecting much. Clearly I have lower standards than other readers as I really enjoyed this. Zoe is a bit nuts, it has to be said, but I quite like that. Ye, some of the plot is a bit implausible, but I'm happy to suspend belief for a while for an entertaining read. Don't expect high fiction, but if you want a bit of light relief give it a go.
Ashley
I'm scrolling down looking at the ratings for this book and I'm shocked at how many people dislike it. And they're all alike but somehow I failed to see what was being talked about. Alot of people said they felt like they were missing something. I didn't get that.

I like the book. I loved Zoe's sense of humor and her outlook on thing. I'll admit, she was a bit weird with her germaphobia and stuff but she made alot of sense. Each character was unique and I loved how they all came together in the s
Holly
I can appreciate this book for its moments of outrageous behavior from its cast of characters and its attempt at feminism, but ultimately this is still (merely) chick lit. Read Bridget Jone's Diary instead.
JC
I believe in the possibility of good chicklit with a strong feminist sensibility. This book has not realised that possibility for me.

The plot was a rambling mess, as was the structure - three chapters are devoted to Zoe's first day, laden with superfluous detail. The characters are awful and even the most feminist of them engage in negative female competitiveness. This may have been Lessing's attempt at the kind of satire and irony Zoe purported to offer the magazine, but I was not buying it.
Kelly
Alex looks like shes entering the courtroom of the biggest case of the decade. Maybe its the hair. It always looks like its being televised. She takes out her laptop and her slew of other electronic devices and begins plugging herself in. I always forget how impressive she is when she first walks into a room.

I Look around at my fellow subway users. I'm trying to feel good about these people but everyone always looks so swollen and unhealthy in the morning.
Amanda (LoveofJoe11)
I think I'd be going on a limb if I said I enjoyed this book. Lessing left little dialogue to the reader and I found myself saying, "Really, you had to spell that out for me, I could have figured it out." While important, Lessing tried to address too many issues in this book and didn't really do a good job on any of them. I found myself anticipating the end just so I could move onto another book. Sorry Lessing.
Lori
Okay, so this book has some language and can be a bit crude, but I have not laughed that hard from reading a book in a very long time. The author does a great job of capturing how ridiculous women can be with each other. I read it on a plane ride once and was laughing out loud. Maybe it was because I was coming home from a very difficult trip involving the loss of a loved one, but I really enjoyed this book.
Lauren
Maybe it's because I didn't read She's Got Issues, but I absolutely hated this book. Full of cliches, boring characters, not very funny. The thing that drove me absolutely crazy about this book was the drawn out dialog and weird characters who were completely unbelievable. I would not recommend this book to anyone. Sorry, just had to vent. This was the worst book I've read in a long time.
Jenny
I hate to review a book I couldn't finish but this book just drove me crazy. I love to read on the train to and from work. I will read anything. I read this for about a week and suddenly just couldn't do it anymore. I carried it around for a week until finally I accepted that I've given up. The characters are unrealistic and not even remotely likeable. It's poorly written. Just not good.
Gelsey Goldenberg
This book is a fun, easy read. Sometimes I like to read a frivolous women's romantic comedy sort of book. It's in the same category as "The Devil Wears Prada" "Something Borrowed" and others. It's not deep, but it also wasn't too petty either. I'd recommend it for a light and easy read. I wouldn't say that I learned a lot from this book, but it was entertaining.
Danielle
Shannon Lane
I wish I'd read some of the reviews before I read this book. I picked it up at the airport and was stuck on a plane with it. I finished it because I always feel guilty not finishing books--also, because I was stuck on a plane with it. The main character is really unlikeable--actually, most of the characters are unlikeable.
Deborah
I didn't care much for this book and some part of Zoe's character I did not get. I didn't realize this book was a sequel, maybe if I read the first book I would have liked this book more.
On a better note, I did enjoy and breezed through the last 100 pages of this book. The author does have a sense of humor.
Barbara
Jan 18, 2010 Barbara rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
This book was AWFUL. Scattered plot, neurotic and annoying main character, stupid side plots, and just plain BAD writing. Ugh. I couldn't finish it. I read about 3/4 of it thinking it would get better, and it never did. What a disappointment. This is honestly one of the worst boosk I have ever read.
I have to be honest; I gave up on this book before I finished it. It was mildly entertaining and, at times, even funny, but I found myself wanting something a bit 'more' from my reading selection. So, quite plainly, I moved on....
Meghan
Hilarious!! I can not recall ever laughing out loud while reading, until this book. It was great! Now I look for anything that Stephanie Lessing has done. I just finished She’s got Issues. My review will soon follow.
Sue
Jul 29, 2007 Sue rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes mindless reading
Just an 'okay' sequel to She's Got Issues. I LOVED the first book, but this one was felt like the author was struggling to create the personalities of the characters. Instead they were just plain weird and somewhat boring.
Wendy
Blah. Not my favorite author. I don't particularly enjoy her style of characters. I didn't buy their personalities or relationships. It was a bit too out there on the scope of reality for my liking.
Analynn
I liked this book a lot however it was not my exact style of read. It has some political reference and it is supportive of feminists. I really liked this book and i would recommend it.
Shaun
I thought it was really cute and an interesting way to look at femininity. I guess that we all have our neuroses and we handle things differently--but I enjoyed it overall.
  • Friday Night Cocktails
  • The Sandy Bottom Orchestra
  • Dairy Queen Days
  • Secrets of the TSIL Cafe
  • Killer Deal
  • Literature: A Pocket Anthology (Penguin Academics)
  • Inappropriate Men (Red Dress Ink)
  • All We Know of Love
  • Straight Up
  • Mr. Lincoln's Wars: A Novel in Thirteen Stories
  • Hazing Meri Sugarman
  • The Night Following
  • The Lucky Ones
  • Mad Cows
Stephanie Lessing began her career as a writer in Kindergarten. It was at that time that she wrote her first introspective short stories, “Why am I the only one with an umbrella?” and “What I wouldn’t give for Missy Cohen’s culottes.” Shortly thereafter, Stephanie found herself in Boston University studying Public Communications and then in the American College in Paris where she was granted an in ...more
More about Stephanie Lessing...
She's Got Issues Gaping Vir 'N Moordenaar Everything I Needed to Know about Being a Girl I Learned from Judy Blume