Start by marking “Purpose in Prayer” as Want to Read:
Purpose in Prayer

Purpose in Prayer

Praying with purpose means making definite, direct requests of God, taking itfor granted that the requests are heard and will be answered. Bounds explainsthe attitude, characteristics, and hindrances behind such prayer.
Published August 1st 1978 by Baker Publishing Group (MI)

To ask other readers questions about Purpose in Prayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Purpose in Prayer

Poiema
Jul 16, 2016 Poiema rated it it was amazing
A gem from E.M. Bounds (1835-1913), widely known as The Master of Prayer. This book is not a "how to" so much as it is an impassioned treatise for Christians to understand the privilege we have been given to cooperate with the Almighty in His good purposes. There is a flame that leaps from the pen of this writer straight to the heart of the reader; I myself was stirred to desire a greater participation in God's purposes via prayer.

The author uses scripture and scriptural prayers as his foundatio
Micah Lugg
Apr 25, 2014 Micah Lugg rated it liked it
I had the privilege of reading a copy of this book from the early 1900's. It has thick pages and marks from previous readers, earliest having read it and signed it on Oct 18, 1918.

The benefit of the book is it's strong encouragement to be in prayer. Bounds calls his readers to follow the example of Christ as he was a man of prayer. This book helped increase my desire for God and to seek him through the hard, but rewarding labor of prayer.

The weakness of the book is that he relies far too much o
benebean
*deep sighs* books like these along with most devotional books drive me crazy, not because I think there's definitely something wrong, but because I'm not sure if what it's saying is right. In this instance my frustration is compounded because the way one tells if something is true or not is if it had Biblical support. But the reason I'm reading this book is because I'm not deeply familiar with/understanding of all the scripture dealing with prayer, so when it asserts things without showing me ...more
Emmanuel Boston
May 24, 2012 Emmanuel Boston rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Christians
Bounds classic work on prayer is more than I could have hoped it would be. There has never been a book which has so immediately had such a large effect in my life. The number of books which I can point to and say, “That book largely affected who I am as a Christian today,” are few. But even so, the number of books that I can point to and say, “After reading only a few pages, my entire Christianity shifted for the better, and the next day, I was a different man,” are singular. This book is that ...more
Norm Konzelman
Mar 13, 2015 Norm Konzelman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More than 4 stars
It becomes the more convincing to me by really good books written by Godly men, that we search too often more vainly for how to do a thing better, or be a thing better.
A better leader. Better soul winner. Better husband/wife. Better at finding that husband/wife God wants for us. Better to pray. Better at giving. And, God help us all, better at living. Etc, etc.
Did I say better to pray?
Oh, this most certainly shows the need I do not come close to meeting, prayer. But much more
Mike Reynolds
Dec 01, 2013 Mike Reynolds rated it liked it
Shelves: prayer
My favorite of the four EM Bounds books I have read, yet it is still a writing style that is hard to endure. It isn't the old language, but almost incessant use of undefined words. The word "prayer" is probably mentioned 2,500 times in his complete works yet a definition of prayer is narrowly found on any page.

I would also add that no ultimate causation is given for prayer. The whole begs the question, from whence does prayer come? Quotes from Charles Finney towards the end and the author himse
Nicholas Maulucci
Jul 08, 2014 Nicholas Maulucci rated it really liked it
one of my favorite em bounds books. this book is challenging, convicting, thought-provoking. it forces one to evaluate the most powerful and the most important part of our life - our walk with God. great book. every christian must read this book. I rarely read a book twice. this would be one of those rare occasions.
John
Dec 20, 2009 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
EM Bounds is, if nothing else, a prophet of the first order. This book hit me upside the head like a left hook. A much appreciated blow, though. Bounds makes the case that we are to pray for two reasons: 1) b/c God calls us to pray; 2) b/c prayer DOES something. He's right on both counts, and I found his illumination of the second count particularly incisive. One critique would be that he can tend toward legalism, and he doesn't put forth a robust notion of the intimacy with God in prayer -- the ...more
Eric
Feb 27, 2014 Eric rated it it was amazing
One of the more powerful pieces of Christian literature that I have had in hand. I listened to (actually devoured) the work in just over a day - some parts two or three times. I have now ordered a print version so that I may make notes in some sections that seemed particularly meaningful. It seems clear that my own personal prayer life needs work if even a tenth of Bounds' work has validity.
Wessel van der Merwe
Nov 25, 2015 Wessel van der Merwe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
A great general motivator in prayer! A classic on prayer. It motivated me to pray and especially to get assurance that I get an answer or the assurance that my prayer is heard and the answer is on the way. Great book!
Shawn
Jul 29, 2015 Shawn rated it really liked it
This is not a formula book, but a book to show christian growth. In other words, a means of increasing faith. Living what we pofess to believe. Understanding that God is true to his word. "Ask according to his will", and understanding how to use his word to determine his will.
Sue
Jan 25, 2008 Sue rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, read-2006
A short book, but full of excellent advice about the importance and significance of Christians praying. A little heavy in places, and rather old-fashioned in style, but well worth reading nevertheless.
Edgar
"The prayer of faith is the only power in the universe to which the great Jehovah yields. Prayer is the sovereign remedy– Robert Hall
Moses
Feb 08, 2016 Moses rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know....I definitely believe in prayer yet I haven't been paying much. this book encourages me to pay more yet also revealed how weak I'm spiritually. may God have mercy on my poor soul
Jennifer Nagy
Jennifer Nagy rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2016
Cassie Stayblessed
Cassie Stayblessed rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2014
Stephen Robertson
Stephen Robertson rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2013
Dustinhedrick
Dustinhedrick rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2011
Penney
Penney rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2015
Brian Phillips
Brian Phillips rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
Daniel Duane
Daniel Duane rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2014
Tyler Walsh
Tyler Walsh rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2013
Phoebe T
Phoebe T rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
ANTHONY RIVERA
ANTHONY RIVERA rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2015
Cavin Jimmerson
Cavin Jimmerson rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Lekia Gospel
Lekia Gospel rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Michael Kinsman
Michael Kinsman rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2012
Shawn Rickert
Shawn Rickert rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2014
Jason Johnston
Jason Johnston rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2015
Art
Art rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Edward McKendree Bounds was a Methodist minister, revivalist, author and lawyer.

Unsuccessful in the California gold rush of 1849, E.M. Bounds returned home to Missouri and became the state’s youngest practicing attorney at age 19. In his early twenties he was deeply impacted by the Third Great Awakening, and at age 24 he was ordained for ministry. During his lifetime he pastored churches, traveled
More about E.M. Bounds...