Start by marking “The Girl with the Gallery: Edith Gregor Halpert And the Making of the Modern Art Market” as Want to Read:

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  19 reviews
In an era when American artists didn't count and women were expected to stay home, Edith Gregor Halpert burst onto the fledgling New York gallery scene, defying all cultural and societal rules. In 1926, Halpert, just twenty-six years old, opened one of the first art galleries in Greenwich Village and set about turning the art world upside down. Her Downtown Gallery, which ...more
Published October 30th 2006 by PublicAffairs

To ask other readers questions about The Girl with the Gallery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl with the Gallery

Alexis Stahl
Crammed full of information, but an eminently readable story. This biography on Edith Halpert introduced me to a remarkable person and filled in a lot of gaps in my understanding of 20th century art collecting. I cannot believe this woman was never more than a footnote in any book that I have read on collectors, galleries, museums, or artists. According to this book, she was very ahead of he time and worked tirelessly on promoting enduring and important American art. She is responsible (at least ...more
Barbara Marburger
Terrific read but depressing! Working in the art world, astonished at how much I did not know about this woman who dedicated her life to putting American modernist artists on the map at such a challenging time. I have long known the sticker, DownTown Gallery - but so little about the woman, Edith Halpert. A must read for anyone making their way in the art biz.
A very interesting biography of the very influential, but often not mentioned, gallerist Edith Gregor Halpert, who singlehandedly revolutionized the downtown art market scene. Very well written and thoroughly researched. A good read for anyone who is interested in the art market, and in particular, the development of the NY City market in competition with the European scene to establish and recognize American genres, movements and artists.
Jessica Thomson
This book provided a nice view of the New York art scene prior to the explosion of the abstract expressionists. Halpert kept her business afloat through the depression by searching out untapped prospects such as Folk art, which she sold to wealthy clients. Halpert represented artists such Charles Sheeler, Stuart Davis, Ben Shahn, and (after Stieglitz' death) Georgia O'Keeffe.
This was a fascinating view of the world of art and the art dealer in NY during the 30s and beyond. I am amazed and embarrassed that I had never heard of Edith Halpert before reading this book. What an influential person she was....and what a sad ending her life had. I would have loved to have known her in her prime. I'll bet she and Georgia O'Keeffe were quite the pair!
Susan Weinberg
Very interesting biography of the woman who played a significant role in furthering the early modern art movement. She brought a unique drive and creativity to her gallery which launched many well-known artists. Very much worth reading for anyone with an interest in the arts as it presents an intimate view of the artists and the efforts to shape their legacy.
This was a fascinating look at one woman's energy and vision in creating an interest in American modern and folk art. As the owner of Downtown Gallery, she helped make a name for such artists as Stuart Davis, Jacob Lawrence, Arthur Dove, Ben Shahn, Georgia O'Keefe and Yasuo Kuniyoshi. Her unraveling toward the end of her life was sad.
This book was longer and harder to get through than I would have liked. It reads a little like a chock-full-of-information thesis turned into a book because the subject matter was somewhat interesting. However, I did end up liking it overall, but it is a little too dense and a little less exciting than I'd hoped.
Perhaps I'm burning out on detailed biographies, perhaps it was the author. I enjoyed learning more about the WPA period. I have a great interest in the modern art movement and American artists. I think that as we went through her life it was a lot if the same patterns over and over. It wore me out.
This is a great book about a woman who startrd with nothing and became on of the top gallery owners in NYC and was the first big dealer and believer or American art in the 30s. I am taking the knowledge of Edith and appling it to my life. I also love that I met the autor at the museum and she signed my book!
This is a fascinating biography of an art world pioneer, a remarkable businesswoman and conoisseur. Pollock draws upon extensive archival records in presenting a meticulously detailed insider's view of Edith Halpert's development of the Downtown Gallery and her relationships with artists and collectors.
Nils Montan
This is the biography of the great New Yokr city art gallery owner and dealer, Edith Gregor Happert. She made her way in a man's world and a man's profession and along the way supported some of the great artists of the first half of the 20th century.
A likable biography of Edith Halpert -- a significant and somewhat mysterious art dealer. Like many biographies it went on a bit too long and I never finished it. It kind of read like a PhD dissertation.
Loved it! How I wish I could have met Edith. What an amazing women. To have achieved all she had in her lifetime, to have seen so much, an amazing, amazing tale.
An interesting story of an early modernist art dealer working out of Greenwich Village. Represented Stuart Davis, Jacob Lawrence early in their careers.
a fairly light, easy read for a biography. am now fascinated with edith gregor halper + find her totally inspirational.
Mar 19, 2009 Robin marked it as need-or-want-to-resume
I started this and loved it. It has gotten lost in the stacks since. Hopefully I pick it back up and finish it soon!
Mar 25, 2008 Jenny rated it 3 of 5 stars
So far, it's more interesting and better written than I expected.
Sarah Hemm
very interesting!
Allison marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Kevin Mccollister
Kevin Mccollister marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Joey marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Libby Doss
Libby Doss marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Maria marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Maya marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Tess Mattern
Tess Mattern marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Yolanda Lee
Yolanda Lee marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
  • Visual Shock: A History of Art Controversies in American Culture
  • The Unknown Matisse, 1869-1908
  • Mistress of Modernism: The Life of Peggy Guggenheim
  • A Life of Picasso, Vol. 2: The Painter of Modern Life, 1907-1917
  • People Styles at Work: Making Bad Relationships Good & Good Relationships Better
  • The Real Bettie Page: The Truth About the Queen of Pinups
  • The Bride and the Bachelors: Five Masters of the Avant-Garde
  • Women and the American Experience
  • Sargent's Daughters: The Biography of a Painting
  • Infinite Variety: The Life and Legend of the Marchesa Casati
  • Old Masters, New World: America's Raid on Europe's Great Pictures
  • De Kooning: An American Master
  • He's Scared, She's Scared: Understanding the Hidden Fears That Sabotage Your Relationships
  • The Dance of Change: The challenges to sustaining momentum in a learning organization
  • Art Lover: A Biography of Peggy Guggenheim

“..and only by assimilating into their community would they succeed.” 1 likes
“Most teachers at the National Academy of Design discouraged students from visiting "291", lest they be influenced by radical American painters such as John Marin and Abraham Walkowitz, whose disregard for accurate form and color outraged the traditionalists.” 1 likes