Start by marking “A History of US: Book 7: Reconstructing America 1865-1890” as Want to Read:
A History of US: Book 7: Reconstructing America 1865-1890

A History of US: Book 7: Reconstructing America 1865-1890 (A History of US #7)

Covering a time of great hope and amazing change, Reconstruction and Reform is a dramatic look at life after the Civil War in the newly re-United States. Railroad tycoons were roaring across the country. New cities sprang up across the plains, and a new and different American West came into being: a land of farmers, ranchers, miners, and city dwellers. Back East, large-sca ...more
Published September 15th 2002 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published December 15th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about A History of US, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A History of US

Lisa
Jan 15, 2017 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Sonlight Homeschool Curriculum
Hakim is a fantastic author. These are no boring textbooks--she brings American history alive in simple, lively language, with lots of great illustrations and quotes.
Benjamin Thomas
Oct 02, 2010 Benjamin Thomas rated it really liked it
I enjoy reading these volumes a lot. Together they form a complete history of the US. Meant for children and young adults they, however, do not at all simplify the issues of the time but rather highlight the people who lived through them. For example, in this volume, we read about famous people like Booker T. Washington, Thomas Edison, and Susan B. Anthony but we also get to hear of the experiences of lesser known people who had large impacts on history. But probably most interesting to readers ...more
Jenevieve
Apr 21, 2013 Jenevieve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
Middle-School US History. Deals with the time following the Civil War but not just the Reconstruction of the South but also what was happening in the west, the strides in innovation and inventions, woman's rights, the start of the temperance movement, the rising racism against the Chinese as well as the blacks. It was nice to hear more about the country during that time than just what was going on in the South which seems to be the more typical way of presenting that time period.
Ron
Mar 10, 2014 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My son and I are continuing reading through this series as part of his history curriculum. This volume covers a time in US history with may viewpoints, actions, and choices being made by a diverse characters. Unfortunately for a book that is supposed to go up to 1890, there is little coverage of the settling of the West and Indian activity. Also, there is bias in relation to amount of coverage of various topics.
Suzanne
Feb 16, 2014 Suzanne rated it did not like it
Oh how I hate these books. Verbose, contrived and filled with conjecture and opinion. Ms. Hakim is an arrogant hero worshipper of selective man of history, and quite the revisionist. Disappointing, particularly for anyone who actually studies source documents, deeply researched material, and isn't interested in the author's soapbox.
The other John
Jan 01, 2009 The other John rated it liked it
Shelves: schoolbook, history
Book seven of A History of US covers the late 19th Century, 1865 through 1890. Ms. Hakim looks at Reconstruction, the Westward Expansion and immigration with her usual attention to discrimination and civil rights. Like the other volumes of the series, its a nice mix of social and political history that's quite engaging to read.
Evelynn
Well, I'm enjoying this history book series. The only problem I have is that this is supposed to be a Christian curriculum, right? Why then is there evolution mentioned as if it were fact? The author was not talking about how evolutionists look at something and then comparing that to the Christian side of it; she is clearly teaching evolution. That really bothered me. Otherwise it's fairly good.
Adelani Adedoyin
Jan 14, 2015 Adelani Adedoyin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good history book if you want to learn more about the United States.the book provides deep detail on many muckrakers during the time of Reconstruction. these include Mark Twain and Ida B. Wells. this book elaborates on all needed points and even more.
If you lie history read it, i promise you, you will enjoy it.
Roseanne
Jul 09, 2014 Roseanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, 2014-books
This is the only book I have read in the series however if all of the books are written like this one then I highly recommend them all! This book walks you through history but also provides pictures, maps and short stories to enhance the information. I learned a lot and really enjoyed reading this book.
Judy
May 28, 2011 Judy rated it it was amazing
I am still enjoying history in story format. Not having to memorize dates and facts that do not have personal importance makes it interesting.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
great resource for teachers and students for the history and creation of america... with maps, illustrations, cartoons, and more
Ariel Paiement
Apr 27, 2013 Ariel Paiement rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, favorites
This book is as good as the one preceding it! It is a clear, informative textbook on America's heritage.
Andrew Smith
Dec 10, 2013 Andrew Smith rated it really liked it
good except for the Part where Thaddeus Stevens was in the house of Representatives and couldn't vote to remove Andrew Johnson
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
a good resource for teaching children about american history, many facts and pictures to help explain items, reasons and whys of american colonization and history
Margarita
Margarita rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2010
VeCu
VeCu rated it did not like it
Mar 18, 2012
Janelle
Janelle rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2009
Mackenzie
Mackenzie rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2011
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2011
Mia
Mia rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2012
Leng
Leng rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2015
Edith Denise
Edith Denise rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2017
Briana LS
Briana LS rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2014
Brooklyn
Brooklyn rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2015
Kendall
Kendall rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2008
Liz
Liz rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2009
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2014
Meghan
Meghan rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2009
Leah
Leah rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2009
  • Traitor: the Case of Benedict Arnold
  • The Landing of the Pilgrims
  • The Yanks Are Coming: The United States In The First World War
  • World War II: The Rest Of The Story And How It Affects You Today, 1930 To September 11, 2001
  • Moonshiner's Son
  • The Modern Age: From Victoria's Empire to the End of the USSR (The Story of the World #4)
  • The Slopes of War
  • Stink Alley
  • The Boys' War: Confederate and Union Soldiers Talk About the Civil War
  • Bound for Oregon
  • Before Columbus: The Americas of 1491
  • Dragon's Gate (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #3)
  • My Heart Lies South: The Story of My Mexican Marriage
  • Bonanza Girl
  • Cameron Townsend: Good News in Every Language (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • George Washington
  • Sacajawea
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
My husband and I live most of the year in Colorado, but we also have a longtime home in Virginia. I grew up in Rutland, Vermont and graduated from Rutland High School. I earned a bachelor's degree in government at Smith College, a master's degree in education from Goucher College, as well as an honorary doctorate from Goucher.

I've been a teacher: in Syracuse, New York; Omaha, Nebraska; and Virgini
More about Joy Hakim...

A History of US (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The First Americans: Prehistory-1600 (A History of US, Book One)
  • Making Thirteen Colonies: 1600-1740 A History of US (A History of US #2)
  • From Colonies to Country 1735-1791 (A History of US #3)
  • The New Nation: 1789-1850 (A History of US #4)
  • Liberty for All?: 1820-1860 (A History of US, Book 5)
  • A History of US: Book 6: War, Terrible War 1855-1865
  • An Age of Extremes 1880-1917 (A History of US #8)
  • A History of U. S.: War, Peace & All That Jazz (History of U. S.)
  • All the People: 1945-2001 (A History of Us, Book 10)
  • A History of US: Sourcebook and Index: A History of US Book Eleven