Start by marking “The Story of Science: Aristotle Leads the Way: Aristotle Leads the Way” as Want to Read:
The Story of Science: Aristotle Leads the Way: Aristotle Leads the Way

The Story of Science: Aristotle Leads the Way: Aristotle Leads the Way

Readers will travel back in time to ancient Babylonia, Egypt, and Greece. They will meet the world's first astronomers, mathematicians, and physicists and explore the lives and ideas of such famous people as Pythagoras, Archimedes, Brahmagupta, al-Khwarizmi, Fibonacci, Ptolemy, St. Augustine, and St. Thomas Aquinas. Hakim will introduce them to Aristotle—one of the greates ...more
Published November 17th 2004 by Smithsonian Books (first published May 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Science, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Science

Scratch 2.0 Programming by Denis GolikovThe Magic School Bus and the Electric Field Trip by Joanna ColeOn The Ocean Floor by Bruce DegenThe Big Field by Anne MorddelArchaeologists Dig for Clues by Kate Duke
Science for Kids
95th out of 252 books — 58 voters
Flatland by Edwin A. AbbottThe Quantum Story by Jim BaggottThe Greatest Science Stories Never Told by Rick BeyerE=mc² by David BodanisAt the Sea Floor Cafe by Leslie Bulion
BMS STEM Nonfiction Catalogue 2016-2017
79th out of 98 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Rachael
Oct 15, 2008 Rachael rated it liked it
I liked this book, I did. The concept is one I support: kids (everyone, really) should have a deeper understanding of the history of science and its impact on the world. Hakim did a good job of writing about people, which makeds for a narrative style that is more accessible. She also did a fantastic job of describing what science is - and active process based on experimenting and testing hypotheses - and how wrong answers can end up being helpful. What I didn't like was the format. The book felt ...more
Todd Stockslager
Jun 09, 2015 Todd Stockslager rated it liked it
Shelves: history
Could have been a "Worth my time" (4 stars) save the subtle and not-so-subtle anti-Christian elements, the more frustrating because the book is in a textbook format targeted at a high-school audience..

Hakim spends (rightly so) most of the book talking about the Greek philosophers and their contributions to the philosophy of science. The contributions of the Greek philosophers are foundational pillars of Western civilization, but they were the mere pinnacles of a society where the great majority
Devin
Sep 08, 2012 Devin rated it really liked it
I appreciate what she is doing in this series. Students (and adults) need to understand that science didn't fall out of the sky, but is the result of thousands of years of hard thinking and doing. The teacher/parent can use them to instill an appreciation of the scientific method, so when they get to the standard materials (chem, bio, physics, etc.), they are not duped into thinking these are immortal, unchangeable truths that have always been known.

The attempt is noble, but I believe she could
Muffi
Apr 28, 2016 Muffi rated it it was ok
You can see my review of the previous book in the series, as this is the final book in a science series for children, but basically my biggest gripe was this: the books are supposed to teach children the *history* of science, but the author wrote out this entire *history* in the present tense, which greatly confused my children. I kept having to explain to them that even though the language makes it sound like all this is happening now, it actually happened in the past. Very frustrating.

I have s
Rebecca Angel
Nov 11, 2013 Rebecca Angel rated it it was amazing
Love this series! I highly recommend it for junior high and up. It is a wonderful way to look at history from the scientific angle. And a great way to learn about science by progressing with the people who figured things out! My friend who teaches college physics has a copy of this series for her students, and encourages them to read it for further understanding and mastery of their practical applications of science.

A way to bring science as a story about people and the times they lived! Inspiri
Andrea
Jun 21, 2012 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
This book (volume 1 in a series) covers in depth the scientific contributions of Aristotle, Euclid, Archimedes, Bacon, Aquinas, Ptolemy, al-Mamun, al-Khwarizmi and others up to 1500 AD. It includes lots of pictures and is written for young people. The book matches up with the material covered in chapter 1 of the Apologia Science book Exploring Creation with General Science.
Megan Eckhart
Jun 23, 2015 Megan Eckhart rated it it was amazing
It has been years since I have read any sort of science nonfiction book, and I am glad I chose this one to re-introduce myself to the genre. It is written to a middle school level, and includes a TON of pictures, which makes the subject more engaging. Although it does not go too in depth with any particular topic, it is an overview from the Ancients up through the Middle Ages, I was able to jot down several tangents I want to pursue further. I will definitely read the other Joy Hakim Story of Sc ...more
Tracy Evans
Nov 24, 2012 Tracy Evans is currently reading it
Trying to decide if I can build a science curriculum from this series
Laia
Jan 02, 2015 Laia rated it it was amazing
This series is an absolute favorite at my house. My two kids & I started reading these together when they were in elementary school (I knew some stuff would need to be re-read at an older age to get the full benefit of), and my oldest is still enjoying them in middle school. They could easily be beneficial for high school and college age students. I would have enjoyed them on my own, a middle-aged adult, without having kids to read them with. This is the mark of a great "story teller," in th ...more
Kimberly
Jun 23, 2016 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-books-read
Another great work by Hakim except this time on science. Science concepts are explained in the context of studying the people behind the inventions and discoveries. It is the history of science. It is interesting and fascinating. A wonderful way to learn science and make it personal by putting faces to the facts.
Mary
Sep 07, 2008 Mary rated it liked it
Let me start by saying, we LOVED The History of US series. It was written in an amazingly engaging way, so that when my boys got to high school, they entered LOVING history, but once they began their correspondence program with the standard history texts found in public school classrooms and realized how the rest of the world learns history, they were sorely disappointed.

Having said that, The Story of Science had a different flavor to me. It was truly informative and well written, but not at all
Xxnovakyahoo.com
Jun 30, 2015 Xxnovakyahoo.com rated it liked it
The book offers a unique scientific historical perspective. I give it 3 stars because both my son and I both found the amount of sidebars excessive and distracting.
Lauren
Oct 01, 2014 Lauren rated it it was amazing
This is an AWESOME history of science and math book for middle grades. I loved it.
Emily
Mar 16, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing
Although this book was written for elementary and middle school students I learned a lot from reading it. I knew very little about the ancient history of math and science. The story is fascinating. I was amazed by how much ancient thinkers were able to understand about the world and the universe with such rudimentary technology. The amount of knowledge lost throughout various time periods was so tragic. I had hoped that it would read more like a narrative but it is structured like a text book. H ...more
Maria
Aug 16, 2013 Maria rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic. I've read the history series by Joy Hakim, but either because I had to read them or because I couldn't remember a word of what I'd read, I didn't like that series so much as this one.

It's fascinating how Hakim manages to weave a story of all these people and their discoveries. If science fascinated me as much as it's starting to, I'd probably dump everything else I'm doing to read the recommended reading, and Plato, and Plutarch, and so on and so forth.

I can't recommend it
Karen L.
Oct 24, 2008 Karen L. marked it as to-read
Shelves: homeschool
I had ordered this from my local library the other day and picked it up immediately. It looks very good and seems a great alternative to text book science for middle school and late blooming 9th graders (my son). Or, as I am using it with my son, a break from his boring text and a supplement to it! It is filled with interesting facts and has loads of engaging pictures. She quotes the bible and other sayings from other religious writings. She seems to be quite classical in her approach.
Mara
Jan 08, 2011 Mara rated it it was amazing
For my homeschooling friends looking for a good science book to read with your children, this one is my favorite. This book has fabulous photographs and illustrations, interesting text, and is well organized. History, math, science, philosophy, and art are all included. It can be used as a jumping off point for disicussions, and you can easily add math to go along with the concepts that are handled in the book. This is the first of three books. Recommend it highly for 11-15 year olds.
Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna
Sep 19, 2009 Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna rated it it was amazing
This book is a rare treasure in the history of science books written for children. I think every child should read it! Gifted children can read is as early as 6-7 years of age. It is a story of science throughout the history of mankind. Illustrations are perfect, language is academic and engaging at the same time. The best book for children about the history of science I ever saw. There are 3 books, this one is the first.
Julia
A great, but very information dense, read. If you're at all interested in science & how we know what we know, this book is well worth reading. You might find you need to take it in small doses though, or all the ancient Greeks, Egyptians, etc. start to blend. Still, fascinating!!!
Ileana
Aug 17, 2013 Ileana rated it really liked it
A wonderful story, finally I understood who these people were and what they were doing and in what time they lived, and why should I remember their accomplishments. And it is not only about the western discoveries, but also Chinese, Arab and so forth.
Lisa
Jun 22, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sarah Welton-Lair
Shelves: science
I love Joy Hakim's Story of US series. This series follows in the same vein, providing a thorough coverage of the history of science from ancient times to the present, coupled with an engagingly conversational and lighthearted narrative.
Trace
Apr 10, 2013 Trace marked it as to-read
This is a pretty amazing book! I'm loving it... BUT it will have to wait for a few more years... its too meaty and dense for Luke at this stage....

We'll choose another living science book for our morning basket time....
Theresa
Jul 29, 2011 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
Listing and describing in child friendly terms all the history of science starting with the greeks and aristotle, explaining the math, scientific break throughs and history that affected science.
Pam
May 27, 2009 Pam rated it it was amazing
This is the first book of a three book series. It was amazing to hear about scientist without the equipment we have today that were coming up with correct ideas about our universe.
Clarissa
Feb 08, 2013 Clarissa rated it really liked it
A wonderful introduction to the history of science, and scientific thinking. Illustrated with lovely art and photographs.
Jessica
Jan 09, 2013 Jessica rated it liked it
The content was very good, but the setting/layout of the book was rather boring and old-fashioned(?).
Sally
Aug 29, 2008 Sally rated it really liked it
reading for Newton's Universe

didn't finish, but got a good taste. love Hakim's style.
Ilib4kids
Sep 25, 2013 Ilib4kids marked it as to-read
J500 HAK
Total 6 books in this series.
Emily Farrar
Jun 20, 2008 Emily Farrar rated it liked it
Shelves: school-reading
I like the book, It's good, I guess.
Princess Katie, the Random Hot Pink Minotaur
  • The Periodic Kingdom: A Journey into the Land of the Chemical Elements
  • Earth
  • G Is for Googol: A Math Alphabet Book
  • Eyes Wide Open: Going Behind the Environmental Headlines
  • It's Disgusting and We Ate It!: True Food Facts from Around the World and Throughout History
  • The Adventures of Penrose the Mathematical Cat
  • Fossils Tell of Long Ago
  • The Modern Age: From Victoria's Empire to the End of the USSR (The Story of the World #4)
  • The Final Battle (Tales from the Odyssey, #6)
  • Building a House
  • No god but God: The Origins and Evolution of Islam
  • A Volcano Beneath the Snow: John Brown's War Against Slavery
  • Science: A Four Thousand Year History
  • Desert Giant: The World of the Saguaro Cactus
  • Starry Messenger: Galileo Galilei
My husband and I live most of the year in Colorado, but we also have a longtime home in Virginia. I grew up in Rutland, Vermont and graduated from Rutland High School. I earned a bachelor's degree in government at Smith College, a master's degree in education from Goucher College, as well as an honorary doctorate from Goucher.

I've been a teacher: in Syracuse, New York; Omaha, Nebraska; and Virgini