Start by marking “Rowing Faster” as Want to Read:
Rowing Faster

Rowing Faster

Get a length up on the competition with cutting-edge technique, training, and racing information. Let the top rowing coaches and scientists in the world steer you to ultimate success, starting with sound training and racing principles and adding increasingly advanced instruction, drills, and insights all the way to the finish.

Rowing Faster is the most comprehensive and det
Published October 4th 2004 by Human Kinetics Publishers (first published October 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Rowing Faster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rowing Faster

Clif Brittain
Jan 09, 2013 Clif Brittain rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophisticated Rowing Coaches
Shelves: rowing
I am writing this review of the first edition, which I read over a year ago. It is substantially different than the second edition, which I recently read. The first edition is more practical, the second is more philosophical. The first four chapters are more philosophical. The first nine chapters deal with training.

Chapter 5 is "Developing an Aerobic Base" by Marty Aiken. It is written for the level of a national coach with a national budget. If you don't have an Eppendorf lactate analyzer, this
Bas Kreuger
Jan 17, 2014 Bas Kreuger rated it really liked it
Very good book by default........... Because there isn't much to compare it with.
That said, there is more than enough valuable information in the book, although the articles are written by several authors and not all of them are good writers or have written interesting articles.
Still, a number of articles are very valuable for both rowers and/or coaches because they delve deeper into technique, rigging, training programs, mental coaching and several other subjects you will have to hunt for on th
Edward Kidder
Jul 08, 2007 Edward Kidder rated it liked it
Recommends it for: rowing enthusiasts
This collection of essays had some helpful insights for this novice masters rower. It also has some over-the-top techniques for enhancing performance in elite collegiate rowing. Checking blood lactic acid levels while in the boat? No thanks. But how to improve the catch and other basic technique studies were helpful.
Anne Strobridge
Mar 19, 2012 Anne Strobridge rated it liked it
Some inspired formulations about what's involved at the catch, for example, but some of the chapters made me feel stupid. Do I really have to be a physicist to understand an explanation of the water dynamics of an oar going through the water?
Dec 17, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
Recommends it for: rowers who might want to coach
I like this in a nerdy interested-in-how-things-work way, but am glad I didn't read it when I was a beginning rower. The advice isn't so practical, though there are lessons and drills I will take into my coaching of novices next year...
Emily Farrar
Mar 09, 2011 Emily Farrar rated it it was amazing
Great book!! Great information in it, that even helped lower my 2k split down to a personnal best despite the fact that I was sick!!!
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2009
Ryan Matney
Ryan Matney rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
Matt Byrne
Matt Byrne rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2014
Ben Vining
Ben Vining rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2015
Loren
Loren rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2012
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2012
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2007
Jake
Jake rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2014
Michael Hatley
Michael Hatley rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2013
Bryan Buckley
Bryan Buckley rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2015
Steve Magness
Steve Magness rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2013
Jorn
Jorn rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2013
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2009
Evans Liolin
Evans Liolin rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2014
John
John rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2014
Phil Hulse
Mar 29, 2008 Phil Hulse rated it it was amazing
Excellent counsel in technique
Jillian Logee
Jillian Logee rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2012
Marie
Marie rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2013
John Hutson
John Hutson rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2011
Ben Elgar-white
Ben Elgar-white rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2012
s hodges
s hodges rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Peter Clements
Peter Clements rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2015