Start by marking “See You Next Year” as Want to Read:
See You Next Year

See You Next Year

Every summer, a girl’s family drives down the same roads, passes through the same towns, and spends a week at the same beachside motel. Year after year, everything is comfortingly predictable: the families they see, the rhythm of the days, the stars, the bonfires, and even the pattern the tractor makes as it rakes the sand on their beach. But this year, something is ...more
Published March 17th 2015 by Owlkids Books (first published March 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about See You Next Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about See You Next Year

Vikki VanSickle
Full of nostalgia, longing, and a preserved sense of time and innocence this beautiful ode to summer vacation is the picture book equivalent to YA graphic novel THIS ONE SUMMER. A girl describes all of the thing she loves about going to a cottage (really a motel), only this year she makes a friend. A very simple but evocative story to read before heading out to the cottage or in the dead of winter when all you want to do is feel the sun on your shoulders and the sand between your toes.
Diana
Oct 02, 2015 Diana rated it liked it
If I were judging the book solely on the illustrations, I'd give it 5 stars but I feel the text wasn't quite ringing true and a little to wistful for the age of the characters. I also wasn't clear on the age of the main character at first I thought she might be 8-20 when she says they've been coming to the camp since she was little then five pages later she's saying how she still wears a life jacket and apparently can't swim and I'm thinking she must be 4-5. Worth a look but check it out from ...more
Aliza Werner
Mentor text for small moments and important memories for personal narrative. Nostalgia for family vacation spot.
Carrie Gelson
Apr 03, 2015 Carrie Gelson rated it really liked it
The illustrations are worth an additional 5 stars. Loved. Nostalgia, memory inducing, lovely book.
Eileen Carter
Nov 15, 2016 Eileen Carter rated it really liked it
Andrew Larsen has written a book that tells exactly how adults think back fondly to their childhood memories of vacations to the beach. A sweet, simple to read book that children will enjoy and take to heart. Vacations only last a short while, but most time we go back to the same place again and again. There is reasuurance in that to the children who are experiencing these vacations that things stay the same but doesn't mean that they will not be fun.
Parents and children will enjoy the illustrat
Elizabeth K.
Jul 30, 2015 Elizabeth K. rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-lucy
I get why this received so many positive reviews. It's very lovely. A girl goes on a summer vacation to the beach every year, and it's the same every year in a nice, comforting way. We also go to a beach cottage so I thought it would be great for my 4 year old.

In reality, I'm not sure how well it works for small kids. I think it relies a lot on an adult's nostalgic look at doing things each year. There's a wistful undertone that is mostly absent in how my kid, at least, experiences things, espe
nicole
Aug 07, 2015 nicole rated it really liked it
Love the compositions, love the gritty shading, the way the light pops around a figures silhouettes. Great atmosphere, in short. It's a pleasure to look at, from the expansive landscape views to the details of the activities all the tiny individuals are engaged in. Reminds me of my childhood family vacations in northern Michigan, which were always the same and always something I looked forward to for weeks, if not months. I feel like this is a book that would make you nostalgic at any point in ...more
A
May 12, 2015 A rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s-books
This book is a net zero. The pictures are beautiful. The tone is sentimental. It feels like an adult trying to write like a child. I understand that is to make the book more accessible or even to make it a mentor text. But honestly. it is just a blah read. The kids who would have the experiences detailed in the book operate at a higher literacy level than the text itself. Buy it for your cousin's kids who visit Cape Cod for the summer. Just don't expect them to enjoy it.
Dawn
Jun 11, 2015 Dawn rated it liked it
We are looking for a great book to give our Assistant Principal who is not going to be here next year. This one seemed like a good idea, but didn't totally grab us when I read it to my class. Still searching!

The story is lovely though. It would be a great end of year story. We could talk about traditions our family has in the summer. The girl in the story goes to the same place every year for a vacation. The illustrations are beautiful.
Sandy Brehl
This is an excellent example of how a "quiet" book can stir the soul and connect on many levels. It serves well as an example of memoir/small moments in our lives, memories that are specific and yet strike a universal chord with readers. Retro-styled illustrations are interspersed with contemporary images, blending a sense of immediacy and a time long past. The "every year" and "we always" refrains contrast with the very specific events displayed. This is a timeless book.
Paula
Summer vacations can be magical. Especially when you go back to the same place every year. A place where you can learn to dive under the waves. A place where digging a hole to the center of the earth seems possible. A place where nothing ever changes and where each long, lazy day unfolds just as it did the year before. See You Next Year is the story of one such place. Only this year, something does change. And sometimes, change turns out to be a good thing.
Traci Bold
Aug 19, 2015 Traci Bold rated it really liked it
'SEE YOU NEXT YEAR' is the picture book of a family's yearly vacation place that never changes. The little girl likes the familiarity of her vacation and is sad when it ends but she made a new friend which is small change but one that she likes.

Andrew Larsen and Todd Stewart bring back yesteryears for many and a new adventure for some.

Published by Owlkids Books.
Christopher
Mar 23, 2015 Christopher rated it it was amazing
A fantastic picture book that showcases the experience of going away for the summer. This features breathtaking illustrations that would most certainly be a shoo-in for Caldecott glory...if the illustrator wasn't Canadian. Nonetheless, a sublime summer story that begs to be shared.
Sue
Aug 01, 2016 Sue rated it it was amazing
Listed in CCBC CHoices 2016 under Picture Books for Babies, Toddlers and Preschoolers. Beautiful story of friendship and the beach. (Almost makes you smell the ocean) Perfect for vacationing families who visit the same location every year. Sweet spot: Preschool-Grade 2
Sandy Irwin
Oct 08, 2015 Sandy Irwin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A touching story about a girl who goes on vacation to the same spot each year. She finds the routine comforting. Plus she makes a new friend. The illustrations have an old-fashioned feel to them - the colros and styles remind me of the 60s; I like them!
Lizzie
Dec 14, 2015 Lizzie rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer
A young girl spends a week at the beach, makes a friend, and returns to home. A comforting and atmospheric read for that special time in the summer that comes and goes so quickly. The illustrations stand out for their use of light: a campfire, a porch light, a street light, a setting sun etc.
Ally Wallace
Nov 23, 2015 Ally Wallace rated it it was amazing
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Published: 2015
Story of a kid who goes to the beach every summer for a week. This summer she meets a new friend. Each day they do something different.
Michele Knott
Apr 17, 2015 Michele Knott rated it really liked it
Fantastic writing mentor text. I would use this to show how each page is a memory. Concise language. Adding up to a whole.
Samantha
Mar 27, 2016 Samantha rated it really liked it
A summer vacation at the beach is beautifully depicted as if the reader is standing inside of a hazy wonderful memory.

PreK-2.
Meredith
Aug 04, 2015 Meredith rated it liked it
Shelves: read-alouds
I might use this next June as we prepare to leave for the summer and see if we can do some kind of postcard project.
Paul
May 23, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
With a nostalgic, lazy feel, great summertime palette, and good use of whatever media the illustrator had at hand, this is an easy-going story that could easily resonate for many readers.
William Lehman
William Lehman rated it liked it
May 02, 2015
Juliana Lee
Juliana Lee rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2015
Melissa Neufer
Melissa Neufer rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2015
Dancingdiva
Dancingdiva rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2016
Megan Campbell
Megan Campbell rated it it was ok
Aug 15, 2015
Annalise
Annalise rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2015
Allison
Allison rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2015