Start by marking “Robot SMASH!” as Want to Read:
Robot SMASH!

Robot SMASH!

Here’s a book about a robot who likes to ... SMASH! He’ll smash the usual things, like flowers and soda cans, but that’s just the beginning. This smash-happy guy crushes everything from pirates, ninjas and zombies to Brussels sprouts and all-talk radio. Whatever it is, he’ll gleefully SMASH it to smithereens. One day, he finally meets something he doesn’t feel like ...more
Published April 14th 2015 by Owlkids Books (first published April 7th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Robot SMASH!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robot SMASH!

Heather
Apr 17, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
LOVE the girl robot smashing him. SMASH. HA.
Iamaby En
I liked the illustrations but beyond that...
Emily
May 02, 2015 Emily rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Yikes, didn't do it for me. The refrain and things smashed reminded me of a less skilled Dinosaur Vs... book (or Tyrannosarus Wrecks, or Dino Kisses, or Hug Machine). The content of the pixelated illustrations, once I got to Smashing Robot's fantasies about Super-Smashy Girl Robot, was tough to make out at first and second glance--so I won't use this in storytime, where a large crowd dissuades me from slowing down momentum enough that all have a chance to make out challenging illustrations.
Kate
I was going to give it 3 stars but I changed it to 4 when I saw that other people gave it 1!

It was cute. The story wasn't particularly mindblowing but the pixelated art is super adorable. I loved how our little robot fantasized about the lady smashy robot riding around on a bike with him in the basket!
Elizabeth S
Apr 08, 2016 Elizabeth S rated it it was ok
It didn't take many pages before my preschooler and I noticed the recurring pattern in this book. Robot likes to smash. Introduce new object, robot smashes it. Introduce another new object, robot smashes that as well. Repeat for a long time. Introduce female robot who also likes to smash, and...the result is probably not what you think.
Maggie KutsBorg
May 14, 2015 Maggie KutsBorg rated it did not like it
Why do these robots use the human construct of gender? Why do they willfully destruct the things they love - each other, their city, their puppy? Why would anyone write a boy-meets-girl romance for a children's book? Seriously, have you MET a child?
Shilpa
Jul 16, 2015 Shilpa rated it liked it
When genre-filmmaker, Stephen Martin (who has a knack specializing in blood, gore and whimsical storytelling), writes a children’s picture book, you can be certain that it is going to be a bit off the wall. And with a name like Robot SMASH! he stays true to his calling.
Kendra
May 30, 2015 Kendra rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books, robots
I get the gimic of making the illustrations video game-like, but it was too hard to make out what was happening in their thought bubbles. I mean, you get the gist, but it just didn't really work for me.
Amber
I like robots. And I think this could appeal to young kids who are into Minecraft because of the pixelated pictures. But I draw the line at going after the robot puppy. Why would you want to smash him? Anyway...it's a kids book. It's not bad. A bit weird though.
Carol
Apr 22, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it
I laughed out loud when I read this one. Not only are the illustrations adorably pixelated, but the story that is told with surprisingly few words is quite entertaining. My son would've loved these when he was 3-4. Actually, he would probably still get a kick out of it at age eight, almost nine.
Romelle
Jul 01, 2015 Romelle rated it it was ok
The pixelated pictures were an eye-sore for me, but maybe younger kids will appreciate it. Not much in plot other than a lot of smashing going on. I can only imagine what would happen after story time if I read this to my son when he was younger. SMASH!
Kristina Jean Lareau
This is a giggle-worthy little book with video game and robot themes that are really and aesthetic weakness of mine.

Robot SMASH! is going to be so much fun to read aloud!
Great Books
Jan 15, 2016 Great Books rated it really liked it
Shelves: family
From brussels sprouts to puppies, Robot loves to smash! Is there anything that can distract him from his smashing? Reviewer 9.
Jun 24, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
i loved this book! so fun and cute! Boys will love the smashing girls will love the pink robot. so much fun!
Kerry (The Roaming Librarian)
Anyone who grew up with those pixelated 80's computer games will probably adore this book. It's really cute!
Tina Qualls
Aug 23, 2015 Tina Qualls rated it it was ok
Shelves: bmj-2016
Canadian author
Katie
Katie rated it it was ok
Jun 18, 2015
Kasia Plichcińska
Kasia Plichcińska rated it it was ok
Jun 14, 2016
Yalonda
Yalonda rated it did not like it
Jan 06, 2016
Katie Casey
Katie Casey rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Rowan
Rowan rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2015
❂ Sam [Nerdophiles]
❂ Sam [Nerdophiles] rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2016
paula
paula rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2015
Laura rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2015
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
May 01, 2015
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2015
Allison
Allison rated it it was ok
Jun 23, 2015
Jo-Ann
Apr 22, 2015 Jo-Ann rated it did not like it
A bit too violent for a picture book.
« previous 1 3 next »