Start by marking “From Reel to Deal: Everything You Need to Create a Successful Independent Film” as Want to Read:
From Reel to Deal: Everything You Need to Create a Successful Independent Film

From Reel to Deal: Everything You Need to Create a Successful Independent Film

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  99 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
From screenwriting & budgeting to marketing, Simens provides encyclopedic, precise, & creative instruction for putting your vision up on the screen.
Published July 1st 2003 by Grand Central Publishing (first published October 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about From Reel to Deal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Reel to Deal

Nick Woodall
Very well done book. Extremely well-organized and succinctly written. Tons of reference material and additional helps. If you want to make a movie, then this book is for you! Breaks the movie industry down by budget categories and walks you through the entire process from obtaining movie rights to ultimately marketing the movie worldwide. Excellent!
Travis Hamilton
Oct 16, 2011 Travis Hamilton rated it it was amazing
I've taken Dov's 2 day film class in LA twice and learned much. The book is a great addition to his class. I was a bit concerned though when I ran into Dov at his and mine first American Film Market adventure pushing his film course...in the book he tells how once your film is finished, take it to the markets to sale. I guess he doesn't quite know what it takes on the distribution side of things, but everything prior to distribution he seems to know more about! Still a great read!
Phil Spitzer
Apr 03, 2010 Phil Spitzer rated it liked it
Some very good, very detailed information on making movies cheaply. I didn't really enjoy the constant advertisements for all of the contacts he recommends for everything from camera stores to attorneys. Again, I think there was a lot to learn in this book. I just couldn't shake the feeling that the author was a bit of a hack--and I suppose that's what he's going for, "hacking movies", so this could be positive or negative, depending on how you see it.
Lewis
Feb 04, 2008 Lewis rated it it was amazing
Dov S-S Simens teaches a two day course on how to create your own film on a small budget. Simens goes into all aspects of the independent film business. It's an extremely practical and useful book. If you're thinking of writing your own film, Simens recommends that you create a story with minimal characters and sets, something that is like a filmed play. That way you will be able to afford producing your project without being drowned in cost overruns.
Azzageddi
Oct 18, 2012 Azzageddi rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Was expecting some sort of esoteric, hush-hush info from behind the lines, so to speak. All I got was a lot of stuff I already knew, whether that be from the internet or just common sense. Big old "meh" for this one. Maybe the course is better than the book, but I'll never know.
Inggita
Aug 08, 2007 Inggita rated it liked it
Shelves: film-video
pretty darn good guide for no-budget filmmakers - although the directory is only good for US-based ones. Now we need its structure for the Indian and Indonesian version, right? there's one production guide for the latter, but this book is more comprehensive and to-the-point.
Belal Khan
Jul 18, 2013 Belal Khan rated it liked it
This is a seminar in a book. Walks you...no, the writing style is more akin to kicking you in the behind to learn and make your film. Lot of homework in the book.
Daylyn
Dec 18, 2008 Daylyn rated it liked it
If you're a novice or just plain interested in the film industry this is a great book about the film industry, how to get into it and what it takes to succeed.
Natalie
Jun 29, 2007 Natalie rated it really liked it
I thought this was a really intersting book on how to make an indpendent film. The only thing stopping me now is my own fears!
Taryn
Apr 03, 2009 Taryn rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Brilliant screenwriting chapter. All around awesome book for filmmakers, should be a must-read.
Thomas A Wiebe
Decent starting point for understanding the basic steps in making and marketing a movie.
Bote Thibeault
Nov 10, 2009 Bote Thibeault is currently reading it
This is better for producers than any other human aspect of movie making
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
R.
R. marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Kristina
Kristina rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2016
وشل
وشل marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
G
G marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Damien D.
Damien D. marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Sander A.
Sander A. rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Damien Johnson
Damien Johnson marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Jacob Graham
Jacob Graham marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Jimmy Frohman
Jimmy Frohman rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Gabriel Mota
Gabriel Mota marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Danilo
Danilo marked it as to-read
Rahadyan
Rahadyan marked it as to-read
Desiree
Desiree is currently reading it
Chris J
Chris J rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Screenwriter's Bible: A Complete Guide to Writing, Formatting, and Selling Your Script
  • Cinematic Storytelling
  • The Filmmaker's Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide for the Digital Age
  • Film Directing Fundamentals: See Your Film Before Shooting
  • What They Don't Teach You at Film School: 161 Strategies For Making Your Own Movies No Matter What
  • The TV Writer's Workbook: A Creative Approach To Television Scripts
  • The Mailroom: Hollywood History from the Bottom Up
  • My First Movie: Twenty Celebrated Directors Talk about Their First Film
  • The Guerilla Film Makers Handbook
  • The 101 Habits of Highly Successful Screenwriters: Insiders Secrets from Hollywood's Top Writers
  • The Film Director's Intuition: Script Analysis and Rehearsal Techniques
  • The DV Rebel's Guide: An All-Digital Approach to Making Killer Action Movies on the Cheap
  • Cinematography: Theory and Practice: Image Making for Cinematographers, Directors, and Videographers
  • The Five C's of Cinematography: Motion Picture Filming Techniques
  • Writing Short Films: Structure and Content for Screenwriters
  • The Shut Up and Shoot Documentary Guide: A Down & Dirty DV Production
  • Rebel Without a Crew, or How a 23-Year-Old Filmmaker With $7,000 Became a Hollywood Player
  • Painting With Light