From Reel to Deal: Everything You Need to Create a Successful Independent Film

From Reel to Deal: Everything You Need to Create a Successful Independent Film

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  11 reviews
From screenwriting & budgeting to marketing, Simens provides encyclopedic, precise, & creative instruction for putting your vision up on the screen.
Published July 1st 2003 by Grand Central Publishing (first published October 1st 2000)

Travis Hamilton
I've taken Dov's 2 day film class in LA twice and learned much. The book is a great addition to his class. I was a bit concerned though when I ran into Dov at his and mine first American Film Market adventure pushing his film course...in the book he tells how once your film is finished, take it to the markets to sale. I guess he doesn't quite know what it takes on the distribution side of things, but everything prior to distribution he seems to know more about! Still a great read!
Phil Spitzer
Some very good, very detailed information on making movies cheaply. I didn't really enjoy the constant advertisements for all of the contacts he recommends for everything from camera stores to attorneys. Again, I think there was a lot to learn in this book. I just couldn't shake the feeling that the author was a bit of a hack--and I suppose that's what he's going for, "hacking movies", so this could be positive or negative, depending on how you see it.
Lewis
Dov S-S Simens teaches a two day course on how to create your own film on a small budget. Simens goes into all aspects of the independent film business. It's an extremely practical and useful book. If you're thinking of writing your own film, Simens recommends that you create a story with minimal characters and sets, something that is like a filmed play. That way you will be able to afford producing your project without being drowned in cost overruns.
Azzageddi
Was expecting some sort of esoteric, hush-hush info from behind the lines, so to speak. All I got was a lot of stuff I already knew, whether that be from the internet or just common sense. Big old "meh" for this one. Maybe the course is better than the book, but I'll never know.
Inggita
pretty darn good guide for no-budget filmmakers - although the directory is only good for US-based ones. Now we need its structure for the Indian and Indonesian version, right? there's one production guide for the latter, but this book is more comprehensive and to-the-point.
Belal Khan
This is a seminar in a book. Walks you...no, the writing style is more akin to kicking you in the behind to learn and make your film. Lot of homework in the book.
Daylyn
If you're a novice or just plain interested in the film industry this is a great book about the film industry, how to get into it and what it takes to succeed.
Natalie
I thought this was a really intersting book on how to make an indpendent film. The only thing stopping me now is my own fears!
Tom Wiebe

Decent starting point for understanding the basic steps in making and marketing a movie.

Taryn
Brilliant screenwriting chapter. All around awesome book for filmmakers, should be a must-read.
Bote Thibeault
Nov 10, 2009 Bote Thibeault is currently reading it
This is better for producers than any other human aspect of movie making
1stcitizenoftheinternet
1stcitizenoftheinternet marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Cassia
Cassia marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Dylan
Dylan marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Linda Shrader
Linda Shrader marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Natalia
Natalia marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013