Start by marking “Compost City: Practical Composting Know-How for Small-Space Living” as Want to Read:
Compost City: Practical Composting Know-How for Small-Space Living

Compost City: Practical Composting Know-How for Small-Space Living

These days, everyone’s talking about compost.

Along with backyard chickeners, balcony beekeepers, rooftop farmers, and community gardeners, urban composters are part of a bumper crop of pioneers who are redefining the green space of crowded towns and cities.

You may think you need a big yard to compost. Think again. Compost City teaches you how to easily choose and care fo
Published May 19th 2015 by Roost Books (first published April 14th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Compost City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Compost City

Sarah-Jane
Aug 15, 2015 Sarah-Jane rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic, invaluable book, written in such a charming and playful style, you almost forget it's useful and educational. Even if you already compost, this book is a terrific tool, teaching you about the variety of compost methods, many of which allow you to compost even more waste (hello, bokashi!).

It's especially great for people in small spaces, worried about a bin's footprint, or odor. Author Louie guides you past qualms and gets you excited about setting up your system. She even sh
Wendy
Apr 27, 2015 Wendy rated it really liked it
Great resource! We've been composting at our house, but haven't given much thought to the process. This definitely gave me more information on how to do it properly to see results faster!
Heather Brown
Jan 11, 2015 Heather Brown rated it really liked it
With a breezy style, Compost City provides lots of info, lots of options and ideas for anyone. Outdoor composting (veg matter and other), Indoor Vermiculture, Bokashi Fermentation (AKA pre-composting), and Manure are explored in-depth. Mixed in are examples from around the country of successful composting and it use: companies, community groups, and classes. The last two sections are concerned with doing work in and with the community and ways to help the Green Movement around the country.
Jana Kelsch
Jun 29, 2016 Jana Kelsch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: garden
the author has a good humor in her writing which added a chuckle here and there. this was such an inspiring read, and I was totally on board with creating my own pile until I realized COCKROACHES are a part of the decomposing ecosystem. I cannot possibly find myself with an infestation of cock roaches. so, in the end, this isn't for me. but this book is humorous and inspiring.
Patricia Kaniasty
Nov 25, 2015 Patricia Kaniasty rated it really liked it
This is a great book. Lots of really awesome ideas on how to compost. Did not think that I would be able to compost living in a apartment but with this book, I can. Thanks for the free book!!
Pamela
May 14, 2015 Pamela rated it it was amazing
Absolutely EVERYTHING you wanted to know about composting, especially for limited space! I’ve been an organic gardening and a composter for decades and this book still had so much to offer. Author Rebecca Louie uses a whimsical, sometimes rollicking style of writing to give the most thorough guide to all types of composting that I have ever seen. Her playful guide includes details about both passive and active composting; everything from small containers to the tried and true 3-bin method. Best ...more
Rachael Thomson
Jun 03, 2015 Rachael Thomson rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic, inspiring book. This is an incredibly comprehensive and open-minded book about urban composting. At times, Ms. Louie may seem a little (ok, overtly) insane, especially when she introduces us to "Armando the Wrung-Out Sponge," the most absurd mnemonic I've ever encountered. That said, her insanity can really be understood as enthusiasm and love for her topic.

The thing I liked the best about the book was that it contained sections that were not pertinent to me. That sounds a litt
Kendra
Sep 02, 2016 Kendra rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This little volume came in quite handy for me in the early stages of trying to figure out what to do about composting; it includes an overview of all of the major composting "options," striking a careful balance between "too detailed for a first introduction" and "not detailed enough to lead to a purchasing decision." Pair this book up with something like the All New Square Foot Gardening and you are on your way to processing your own organic waste into compost and then actually growing someth ...more
Gayle Cappelluti
Feb 03, 2016 Gayle Cappelluti rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway, and am sorry to say, I held onto it for some time before picking it up to read. I felt like it had too much info to digest. Well, it does have a ton of info. And as a committed gardener who went from n organic garden in the city to an organic farm in the country, this is one book that would definitely fill the needs of either! I have read lot of info on composting and feel like this book has all the info one needs to get started. It will help you choose ...more
Sue
May 11, 2015 Sue rated it it was amazing
I received this book free from GoodReads.

SO glad I won this book! Its an excellent, step by step, including why, of composting. Everything you ever wanted to know!

I have two horses which produce an average of 25 pounds of manure per day. I definitely had need for this book.

Its published by a very small publishing house, Roost Books, who included their recent catalog when they sent this book. They also published a book about hand making pop up cards. I bought that for my sister's birthday. She's
Jes
Jun 09, 2016 Jes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, favorites
Not only was this book full of relevant, useful information, it was also HILARIOUS. It had tons of great ideas to incorporate using in your own compost system and even better ideas on how to get in touch with other composters, making other people want to compost with you, and spreading the hype about composting.
Gina
May 09, 2015 Gina rated it liked it
I received this book as a first read. The author is funny. The book is humorous and informative. Louie does a good job of refuting the common excuses people use to avoid composting. I learned a lot about composting. I didn't know tea bags, egg cartons, or toilet paper rolls were compostable. I appreciated the DIY tips.
Holly
May 05, 2016 Holly rated it really liked it
I didn't finish the last two chapters on engaging with the community around composting, but the rest of it was a great introduction to the different methods of composting, the science behind it, and tips on how to create your own composting set-up in a variety of confined spaces. Inspiring, and I'm looking forward to getting my own worms someday!
Debbie Ullman
Jan 04, 2016 Debbie Ullman rated it it was amazing
I've been composting since before it was hot (ha) yet I still learned a ton from this awesome book. This totally fun and accessible guide is perfect for the compost-wary friend or relative you know. There are some really inspiring examples of composting projects all over the country as well as practical advice that makes composting in any sized home "second nature."
Jun 18, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
A really great jumping in point for newbie composters. There were sections that I wish had been much more expanded upon, but gave a great overview on how to get started and moving along in the process.
Janet
Sep 16, 2015 Janet rated it really liked it
Didn't care for the humor at times, but the info was thorough and plentiful. She gave great examples of composting projects throughout the U.S., a list of resources and just great suggestions of how to start organizing composting projects to get people involved.
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2015
Ken
Ken rated it really liked it
May 22, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2015
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2015
Aldene
Aldene rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Richie
Richie rated it it was ok
Dec 26, 2015
Oznasia
Oznasia rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Sherri J Nelson
Sherri J Nelson rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Anthony Dallapiazza
Anthony Dallapiazza rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2016
Reba Linker
Reba Linker rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2015
Olenka
Olenka rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2015
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2015
Kevin Cooney
Kevin Cooney rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Cathy O'sheal
Cathy O'sheal rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Tantric Orgasm for Women
  • Krishnamurti to Himself: His Last Journal
  • Confessions of a Record Producer: How to Survive the Scams and Shams of the Music Business
  • Real Vegetarian Thai
  • New Beliefs, New Brain: Free Yourself From Stress And Fear
  • Against Joie de Vivre: Personal Essays
  • Hygieia: A Woman's Herbal
  • We Love Nature!: A Keepsake Journal for Families Who Love to Explore the Outdoors
  • Kali: The Black Goddess of Dakshineswar
  • Language
  • Juicing for Life: A Guide to the Benefits of Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Juicing
  • God in Pain: Inversions of Apocalypse
  • Animal Minds: Beyond Cognition to Consciousness
  • The Garden Classroom: Hands-On Activities in Math, Science, Literacy, and Art
  • 30 Essential Yoga Poses: For Beginning Students and Their Teachers
  • Woman Who Glows in the Dark: A Curandera Reveals Traditional Aztec Secrets of Physical and Spiritual Health
  • Nonviolent Communication Companion Workbook: A Practical Guide for Individual, Group, or Classroom Study
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants