Start by marking “The Making of Minty Malone” as Want to Read:
The Making of Minty Malone

The Making of Minty Malone

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  812 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Vous êtes devant l'autel de l'église. Le prêtre prononce les phrases rituelles. Vous jetez un coup d'œil tendre et complice à votre bien-aimé. Il vous sourit. Vous lancez un " oui " énamouré. Ça y est, vous êtes presque mariée ! Maintenant c'est à lui. Il vous adresse un regard plein de compassion. Vos parents, vos collègues, tous vos amis sont venus célébrer l'événement. ...more
Published (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Making of Minty Malone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Making of Minty Malone

Kim
May 20, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: isabel-wolff
The Making of Minty Malone was written by Isabel Wolff in 1999, this is the story of Minty Malone who is really a very nice person, hates conflict and finds it hard to say no to her domineering boyfriend and pushy work colleagues who constantly take advantage of her good nature. When she is jilted at the alter on her wedding day in front of 280 guests, Minty is in shock and is persuaded to go on her what was to be honeymoon with her bridesmaid instead. That fateful trip to Paris is the beginning ...more
LaKay
Sep 14, 2011 LaKay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic-comedy
Since I started reading fiction again, I have been debating whether I really think it's more beneficial to me than simply watching a movie or TV show - especially if I am reading "fluff" with a happy ending. My general comment has been, I can get to the cheesy unrealistic happy ending much more quickly if I just watch a romantic comedy on TV.

This book takes place over more than a year. The "love interest couple" meet each other nearly a year before the relationship has a resolution. It took me 3
Tania
Aug 16, 2011 Tania rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story has already been described - Minty gets dumped on her wedding day, and the book covers how she gets over that hurt. Right from the beginning, Wolfe had me hooked. She used flashbacks in the initial chapter to introduce me to the main character, so I was better able to empathize with her situation. Anyone who gets dumped like that deserves empathy, but in a more 'global' way. By the time Dom dumps Minty, I had a sense of 'knowing' her, so I cared more. I was invested in the outcome. I l ...more
Heather Dalgarno
It was an amusing read, reasonably diverting, but overall not the best book of it's kind. I preferred "Behaving Badly" more (also by Wolff).

This book is a reasonable stab at character development but I found the romantic interest a little unbelievable. The hero isn't given much "face time" in this book, much more of it is focussed on the emotional journal of the heroine Minty.

I guess that in a romance novel I am principally looking for romance, and this book does not really let that take centre
Mandolin
Oct 13, 2011 Mandolin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes tragedies (like being jilted at the altar in front of 200+ of your "closest friends") can reveal our inner strengths and bring us to places much better than we ever imagined. Minty Malone learns that important lesson when her fiancee, a self-righteous and social climbing insurance agent, leaves her stranded at the church, claiming that he can't go through with the wedding. Left alone and forced to realize that she's been "too nice" all of her life, letting people walk all over her and ...more
Johanna
Jan 15, 2011 Johanna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: girly-melodrama
This book is fun, but fairly predictable and in places it borders on being...well, trite. It was given to me by a co-worker who warned me that it wasn't exactly intellectual, but she thought I needed a friendly reminder of certain life lessons contained within..

The set-up in the first chapter was fairly obvious. The main character clearly is incapable of having her own opinion about anything and instead defers to her fiancee, subjugating her own opinions, wants, and needs to his. This is shown t
Bethan
Jul 14, 2015 Bethan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Quite a frustrating read. I feel that all the characters came across as quite dim and there was a lack of humour, even in parts where they were meant to be funny. I found myself getting bored and Minty's 'niceness' was so taken advantage of. I just lacked empathy for the characters, and I didn't connect with any of them.
JenniferB
Bit shallow, formulaic, some funny (humorous) bits.
Ruchi Goel
Apr 18, 2014 Ruchi Goel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: random
Some parts are nice but overall very very boring!!!!
Lynn Hutchinson
Pleasant enough read without being startling.
Claudette Kerr
Sep 26, 2014 Claudette Kerr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in London.
Cecilia
Jul 03, 2008 Cecilia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All ladies!
This is another good story by Wolff, who writes completely engaging characters and stories. This one is about Araminta (Minty for short) who is stood up at her wedding altar by Dominic. Aside, of course, from being miserable by this massive rejection, she is just stumped at why this happened to her. Snappy and very entertaining, this read would be perfect for anywhere from the summer beach to in front of a warm fire in the middle of winter.
Emily
Feb 17, 2008 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, reviewed
In reading this book I just plowed through it. The book starts with the main character Minty being left at the alter. The rest she has to work out why it happens and who she really is and not who she had become for others. In it she has to learn how to stand up for herself and put herself through pain, to become a better person though. If you enjoy chick lit I would defiantly recommend this book.
Alison
Nov 23, 2011 Alison rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ce livre est pour moi trop long. D'habitude j'aime beaucoup le fait qu'isabel Wolff décrive beaucoup l'arrière plan de l'histoire (ou "lautre histoire"), ici la vie professionnelle de Minty mais dans ce livre j'ai trouvé que c'était trop. Trop long, trop précis.
Malgré cela l'histoire est intéressante, mais sans plus.
Irène Wadowski uliasz
Quand je pense que j'ai failli abandonner sa lecture ! Je ne sais ce qui m'supportait le plus Mindy et son incessant bavardage ou Ambre et sa visionistes noire de la vie. Puis peu à peu, on entre dans cette histoire en fin de compte émouvante et drôle .
Elizabeth Aloe
Jun 23, 2012 Elizabeth Aloe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this over a decade ago and remember loving it. Loved the writing and the character. Honestly, I should read it again to see if I would have the same reaction, but I never forgot how much I enjoyed this story, so I'm sure I'd still like it.
Naomi
Mar 09, 2011 Naomi rated it liked it
Minty is jilted at the alter on her wedding day. She thinks the reason for this is she is too nice and so she aims to become less nice.

When she meets Joe she has to learn to be nice all over again.
Funny, light hearted and easy to read
Brenda
Aug 12, 2009 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A hilarious romp about a girl who is always "too nice" so gets walked on by her domineering fiance who stands her up at the alter and destroys her faith in me.
She eventually gets it back after many adventures when sh meets Jo.
Kate Parkinson
Easy reading. Frustrating in places as went to slow but not hard on the brain!
Megan
Aug 21, 2007 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
This book is chick-lit, but it did ultimately culminate in happy ending with self-realization and change on the part of the main character. Plus, it's just plain funny; it made me laugh out loud!
Vicki
Feb 27, 2012 Vicki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
British chick lit. A fun read but fairly predictable. At times the main character is an irritating doormat. You want to slap her and tell her to wake the heck up. Fun read.
Stephanie
Didnt know that a British based story could be so damn funny. sometimes i feel like Minty in being so nice but I'm definitly not a door mat. Good book.
Michela
nice.... a girl who was leaving alone just in front of the church befofe hers wedding.... nice a story about another book writtng before ....
Amanda
Eh...story was unique and I liked the main character but it dragged in parts and the romance was slow to get going. But fun.
Cass Glaves
Jul 18, 2015 Cass Glaves rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dull. I had high hopes, but just found it dull. Sorry!
Amy Guest
Jul 31, 2013 Amy Guest rated it liked it
I found this book quite predictable, however, I still thoroughly enjoyed reading it and I will probably read it again.
Nina
Sep 02, 2011 Nina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A slow start, but once you pick up the humour pattern it is extremely funny, a bit cliched but witty.
Writerlibrarian
A fluffly, insane chick lit novel that is like a bowl of popcorn. You start and you have to finish the bowl.
Saralyn
Jun 11, 2012 Saralyn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-for-me
Another I ran across going through my to-read shelf. Another dud.
Ellie Robertson
Oct 02, 2013 Ellie Robertson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Tons of LOL moments and I loved Mindy! Could really relate to her.
  • Catching Alice
  • Loose Screws
  • Watch Me Disappear
  • Family Trust
  • This Is Chick-lit
  • Burning The Map (Red Dress Ink (Numbered Paperback))
  • Tom Dick And Debbie Harry
  • The Funeral Planner
  • The Dominant Blonde
  • Up & Out (Red Dress Ink (Numbered Paperback))
  • Breakfast at Stephanie's
  • Leaning Towards Infinity
Isabel Wolff's ten bestselling novels are published worldwide. 'Ghostwritten', set in present day Cornwall and on wartime Java, was published in the UK in March 2014 and will be published in the US in February 2015 as 'Shadows Over Paradise'. 'The Very Picture of You' was published in the UK and the US in October 2011. 'A Vintage Affair', was an Amazon.co.uk 'Best of 2009' title and was shortliste ...more
More about Isabel Wolff...