6 Sick Hipsters

6 Sick Hipsters

2.81 of 5 stars 2.81  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  38 reviews
In this hilarious, frenetic, adrenalin-charged debut, Rayo Casablanca does for modern day Williamsburg, Brooklyn, what Bret Easton Ellis's Less than Zero did for '80s L.A.--but with a knowing grin and a far cooler soundtrack. . . Williamsburg, Brooklyn, is the center of the hipster universe, and the members of the Whole Sick Crew are its shining stars. The gang includes Wo...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Kensington

Bsampson
Interesting. The book illuminated the fatality of consumerism, capitalism,fads and all that jazz. His writing was pure poetry. The book was a wonderful pain. If you have outlandish thoughts about monkeys colonizing mars, this book is for you!
Olivia
Jan 06, 2009 Olivia marked it as to-read
Got this book in the mail, pre-pub, from the Bonnie G in the AZ, who works in the "voted #1 bookstore in America."

I don't read much contempoary fiction so I picked this book up judged it by it's cover and first page full of fashion, music and pop culture references, and said "meh" Where is my soulful Maya autobio, where is my epic text of world history: Tragedy and Hope?

I'm now had by the throat by Rayo Casablanca and the Williamsburg Brooklyn hipsters/killers/victims! I literally started readi...more
W.L.
Jul 19, 2008 W.L. rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Broadie Thronton
Recommended to W.L. by: Paul Grimsley
The author sent this book to my husband to read and review on his culture website www.skullcull.wordpress.com -- He read it, reviewed it, and I put it on my to-read shelf on Good Reads.

I'm a commuter, which was pretty sucky considering it takes about 3 hours off your free time. A friend of mine turned me on to the fact that I have 3 kids and a husband at home and a full time job, and to look at the commute as "free time" and to bring a book.

I had just been sleeping before. But I decided to brin...more
Constance
From fawning to frying, the reviews of this book all seem to be making the same point. It's only good if you get it and really, nobody ever will because it's all commercialized nonsense anyway. Fight the power! Or something.

The many missteps in "6 Sick Hipsters" are so integral to the so-bad-it's-good irony of hipsterdom, and the central core of the story itself, that like the self-aware armor of subversive cool, the book is almost impossible to criticize without incriminating oneself as a nerd....more
Zach
I have an old, well-worn daydream in which I win big bucks on a quiz show where all the questions are about 4ad records. This book features a scene where a musician cheats death by knowing both of Bernard Sumner's other last names, thereby surviving a postpunk trivia quiz administered by a serial killer. Sold.

3.5 stars, really. (My normal policy is to round down, but the author's an old friend of mine. So there.)

Bethany
Over the top, terribly cliche (especially given how hip it's supposed to be), gratuitous and ineffectual violence. I could not have cared less about ANY of the characters. I found it a completely unbelievable plot. If the pretention was intentional, it was poorly done. What a waste of $15 and my reading time. But it was definitely an experience.
Alex
'tis a hard boiled cartoon, and like most good cartoons, there's more depth to it than smug self references. What did Bugs Bunny teach you about the world?
Lauren
If I could give it 2 1/2 stars I would, but I have to stick with 2 mainly because I have no desire to ever read this book again. While I was interested enough to finish the story (thus the desire for a 1/2) and I didn't hate reading it, the characters were somewhat ridiculous and had neither the witty humor nor the sympathetic backgrounds to make up for this. If it was supposed to be funny it wasn't and if it was supposed to be compelling commentary nothing worthwhile came up until the last 10 p...more
Jen
I think this book could have been really good. The premise is hilarious: a serial killer is bumping off hipsters. The hipsters are awesomely over the top - my favorite is Beth Ann, a feminist with a Chelsea haircut (in her case, bald except for bangs and side ringlets) who teaches a senior knitting class called Bitch Knit. She decides to blow the lid off of Coco Chanel holing up with a Nazi lover during WWII by knitting a sweater that says "Coco Chanel" with swasticas in the "o"s to make a state...more
Steph
Jan 10, 2009 Steph added it
i picked this up because the opening paragraph referenced the gas station around the corner from my old apartment, and i thought it would be a vapidly entertaining roman a clef. boy, was i wrong. this piece of dung was horribly written, using terrible language to write page-long descriptors on each of the forgettable characters, whose traits were never referenced again. the mid-book plot "twist" turned a mildly stupid book into a disgustingly retarded, amateur-hour gag-fest, peppered with willia...more
Kerry
Mostly this book just pissed me off. The plot was fairly ridiculous, the characters were unsympathetic, and there is NOBODY I know from Brooklyn who calls Williamsburg "Billburg", or "Billyburg". Really. It wasn't terrlibly written, but I wonder why it was written at all, except to serve as some sort of inside joke for Mr. Casablanca and his friends. And I wonder if Mr. Casablanca is actually a "hipster", or if he just wishes he could have sat at their table in his high school cafeteria.

Basica...more
Noah
File under "beach reading" or "get excited for your trip to NYC reading" and go into it with a good attitude. Casablanca provides some great characters, some snippets of snappy Tom Robbins-esque theology and loads of obscure pop culture references that give the reader a chance on every page to feel all the more hip just for knowing the reference. The only two speed bumps to my enjoying this book more were the over-employment of profanity and the related issue of dialogue that would sound fine if...more
Jen
Jul 26, 2008 Jen rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: folks who actually are deep in the well of pop culture
Good quick plane read. Funny since we'd been in Brooklyn for the week prior. Hipsterdom naturally alive and well. Interesting culture references abound, but it just seemed very sped up, not well paced, like it needed maybe another edit to be much stronger. Not to say I didn't like it, I liked some of the characters very much, they just seemed like "X Person likes this" and not much else and so as the sh*t hit the fan I had a hard time caring if even main characters lives were threatened. Oh well...more
Douglas  Castagna
Someone is killing hipsters? Awesome! At least that is what I thought, it sounded like an interesting premise that carries through for about roughly two thirds of the book, then it gets weird and totally screws up any sense of realism that the book may have had. There is a conspiracy like plot that comes from out of nowhere that really hurts any credibility the author had in my opinion. It makes reading until the end painful and I was left wondering WTF was this all about.
Chiara
Sucks you in and spits you out with a headful of WTF just happened? Laughed out loud--the image of a savage baboon named Faggot was too funny. The premise? A fashionable serial killer picks off prominent characters among the hipster scenes. There's a fist full of cult classic films, music aficionados and trivia, and cooler-than-thou punks. Loved the immense amount of info packed in, liked the nostalgic undertones but had a hard time finishing the book for some reason.
Irene
This was so bad. I gave it 2 stars (one 2 more than it deserves) because I actually read it. One stars are only given to those books that I don't finish.

I could have written better narrative in the 9th Grade. In fact, I think I did. I better not get into it here because that will leave me more to talk about at book club.

** I'm actually taking one star back** Yes, it was THAT bad.
Jocardo
Interesting yet a bit odd. Dead on with the description (and attitude) of hipsters and Billyburg! The sometimes I was confused by what was going on and at other times I didn't care what was going on but I would push through just to see what happened next. Overall, I liked the book but was disappointed with the ending.
James
I loved the first half of this book, but I found the second half completely unbelievable. The author tried too hard to be original and suspension of disbelief was impossible. The book is well-written and entertaining, though, and I hope these problems would be fixed in a second novel.
Marie
Apr 18, 2008 Marie rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: people who read thrillers and mysteries
It's OK. I don't want to discourage you from reading it. There are many enjoyable parts, and if you like thrillers and murder mysteries, you will probably like this book. And there are some great supporting characters. I wish some more things were tied together.
Alyssa
It started out strong but once the plot was revealed it got weak. Nice to know that Portland isn't the only place swarming with hipsters - the good people of Brooklyn have to deal with them too apparently!
Brynne
Mar 19, 2010 Brynne is currently reading it
Shelves: drugs, ny, pop-culture
They call this the "new" "bret easton ellis"...but it's hard to compare anyone to a genius like that. The book is good, but it is different and stands on its own.
Johno
I enjoyed it very much for what it is: a snapshot of pop culture/consumer society, etc. A fun bit of brain candy if you're in-between more seroius tomes.
Jeanie
i was torn between two and three stars for this book and i'm still making up my mind about it. it was interesting. i'll say that.
Alice
Obscure references, meme theory, serial killers, self-referential humor, reverse culture jamming -- I love it! Hilarious and horrifying!
Eric
Any book claiming to be about "hipster" culture is essentially DOA to me, but this book was extraordinarily annoying.
Tammy
Aug 24, 2009 Tammy rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: people who like making fun of hipsters
Recommended to Tammy by: my hipster friend
You don't need to read this book. Just read this sentence "oh, silly hipsters, they're so ridiculous."
Molly
May 22, 2013 Molly marked it as can-t-seem-to-finish
i got this for free. tried reading and abandoned after about 100 pages. can't possibly care.
Chris Meagher
This book was so-so. It held my attention throughout, but got a little crazy at the end.
Corby
Not very far into it, but so far it's pretty good.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »