Start by marking “Pilot Down, Presumed Dead” as Want to Read:
Pilot Down, Presumed Dead

Pilot Down, Presumed Dead

Steve Ferris makes a crash landing on a lonely beach when hurricane winds force his plane down. Days pass, and Steve cannot understand why he doesn't see any rescue planes. Gradually he realizes he is on an uncharted island; rescuers will not be able to locate him, and soon they will think he drowned in the storm. With skill and determination Steve fashions crude equipment ...more
Published May 20th 1975 by HarperCollins (first published April 28th 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Pilot Down, Presumed Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pilot Down, Presumed Dead

Thirza Peevey
Sep 07, 2015 Thirza Peevey rated it really liked it
I read this book as a kid, and it was a fairly formative book for me, not because the writing was excellent, but because the subject was different. This book put the protagonist in a different situation than I had seen, with different problems to solve that made me think in a different way. I have a real dread of being in a survival situation in an arid climate, but the protagonist in this book solves the problems of finding water and food in clever ways that I hadn't considered.

I'm not giving
Jacob L
Oct 01, 2012 Jacob L rated it it was amazing
in 5th grade I saw this book in the library. it looked interesting so I picked it up and startec reading. when I was finished it almost made me cry. later, in 7th grade my school got new books and they had a table out for free books to take and i was curious... I looked down at the books, scanned the books and found this amazing book! instantly I grabbed it and was really happy I found this book!:)not to long ago I read this book again, now in 8th grade I am still in love with this book!
Shan
Feb 10, 2012 Shan rated it really liked it
First book I ever read as a kid that I didn't already know what was going to happen. I didn't have any recommendation for it from anyone. It was the first book where I had no expectations of it.

I really liked this book when I read it. And was thoroughly entertaining. The ending was satisfying and sad, and I probably will never forget it.
Quinn
Nov 04, 2013 Quinn rated it it was ok
I think is probably one of those books that if you read as a 10 year old you love with all your heart for the rest of your life. To an adult reading it for the first time it's a pretty simple story about a man that doesn't panic enough for being stranded on an island.
Cait
Dec 25, 2008 Cait rated it it was amazing
I recieved this book in an easter basket one year when I was a kid. It is still one of my FAVORITES, and I have not been able to find my copy. Just a really entertaining read, I'd like to read it again
Tara
Jan 05, 2015 Tara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-kid
man, i loved this book when i was a kid. i loved reading about people having to "live off the land"--and it was also my favorite game to play in the backyard. by myself.
Daniel
Mar 04, 2008 Daniel rated it it was amazing
I read this book in elementary school but I think I'd still get the same enjoyment reading it today. I have very fond memories of reading this and imagining how I would react in a similar situation.
Teal Nesmith
Nov 21, 2016 Teal Nesmith rated it really liked it
Steve crashes on an uncharted island off the coast of Baja and realizes he won't be found by rescue planes so he has to figure out how to survive and get off the island on his own. An interesting survival story.
Isaac
Dec 02, 2016 Isaac rated it it was amazing
So far the book is great I enjoy books that involve needing to survive and finding ways to make things out of what they have. and the book gives very good detail on the environment and what he sees
Rogue-van (the Bookman)
When Steve Ferris crashes from hurricane winds somewhere near the coast of Baja, he must play Robinson Crusoe. Can he befriend a coyote? Will he soon faint from hunger? Although this is not the most realistic survival story, curiosity compelled me to see how Steve could find food, shelter, and water in such an inhospitable place.
Seth Courrégé
One of the many survival books I read as a kid. Though not as interesting as Hatchet, or the My Side of the Mountain trilogy, this book is worth a read.
Nicholas
Jul 15, 2009 Nicholas rated it really liked it
My brother, sister and I all had this book read to us dozens times. It got the point where I would call my parents out for skipping lines. It was THE book of my childhood.
Justin Steckbauer
Justin Steckbauer rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2014
Jake Gordon
Jake Gordon rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2008
Suzy
Suzy rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2012
Cole
Cole rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
Bryn
Bryn rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2009
Sydney E.
Sydney E. rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2016
Wayne
Wayne rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
Arjj143
Arjj143 rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2013
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2015
4th Hour  ELA 10
4th Hour ELA 10 rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2014
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2013
Audrey
Audrey rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2012
A.J.M.
A.J.M. rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2015
Celine
Celine rated it did not like it
Nov 14, 2013
Kaleb
Kaleb rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Taylor
Taylor rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2009
Jim Wrona
Jim Wrona rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Joseph
Joseph rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Marjorie Temple Phleger was born in August of 1907 and was from Glendale, California. She received a Bachelor’s degree from the University of Southern California, where she and her future husband Fred Phleger met. They were married in 1933. She went on to receive a master’s degree in theater arts from Smith College in 1948.

Before she started writing, Marjorie Phleger taught drama at the Bishop Sch
More about Marjorie Phleger...