Start by marking “A Complete Guide to Special Effects Makeup: Conceptual Creations by Japanese Makeup Artists” as Want to Read:

Created by some of Japan's most talented and up-and-coming special effects make-up artists, this is the first Japanese language Special Effects Make-Up "how-to" guide! From easy "scar" make-ups to basic techniques to masks and full-scale prosthetics, each process is covered in a fully illustrated, step-by-step process.
Published June 29th 2008 by Graphic-Sha Publishing Co., Ltd. (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Complete Guide to Special Effects Makeup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Complete Guide to Special Effects Makeup

Eyehavenofilter
An incredibly detailed and expertly photographed big soft bound book on special effect makeup. Featuring step by step instructions covering the basics, from simple makeup and masks, scars,gashes, to mold and cast making, all of this done by the fastidious Japanese Conceptual Makeup Artists who have worked on major motion picture worldwide.
Some of these creations are beautiful, some are terrifying, exquisitely rendered with multiple materials, but only one or two are 2nd rate.
this is something I
Seizure Romero
Jan 15, 2010 Seizure Romero rated it it was amazing
Shelves: want, art, library
Didn't get this in time to actually use it for Halloween, but it has some flat-out amazing examples to work from. The instructions seem to be straight forward and easy to follow, with lots of photographic documentation. The biggest caveat is that this is not a 'from household items' kinda book. Most projects do require some professional tools or materials, such as technical gelatin, alginate, silicone, ceramic clay, and/or Pros-Aide (which, believe it or don't, has nothing to do with prostate ...more
Mary
Sep 25, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing
Though I cannot always refer to it for material since I don't aquire my stuff from Japan, I absolutely adore this as a reference book! I look to it for my every project. It is simple, efficient, well described and the works are various and quite beautiful. It took me some time before I found this book. It was perfect at the time, and it still is now. Having a short tips section about material: time, climate, storing, baking, etc would have been great but it's not necessarily meant for beginners, ...more
Andy
Jun 10, 2015 Andy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
The number one book for any person interested in sfx make-up. Easy to understand directions and wonderful pictures. This book is in highly recommended and in high-demand because it went out of print. I've been searching for a while for a copy under $70 but couldn't find one,and I just recently found out on Amazon that they're reprinting it in September so the price will only be $20. Hurray!
Victoria.g
Mar 29, 2011 Victoria.g rated it it was amazing
Very helpful, before I had absolutely no experience with special effects make up but after reading and practicing I gained more skills and confidence in it.
Naomi
Feb 19, 2015 Naomi rated it it was amazing
great and easy to follow step by step tutorials. I love this book. just wished there were more tutorials in it.
Kayla Meyers
Kayla Meyers rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2014
Billie Jade
Billie Jade rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2016
Jillian Anaya
Jillian Anaya rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2014
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Vāda Schank
Vāda Schank rated it it was ok
May 26, 2015
Georgina Ragazza
Georgina Ragazza rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2016
Michael S Deittrick
Michael S Deittrick rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2014
David Ulnar-Slew
David Ulnar-Slew rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2015
Rebecca Monson
Rebecca Monson rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2016
Oceandreamer001
Oceandreamer001 rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2014
Dagmar
Dagmar rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2014
AMS
AMS rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Jordan
Jordan rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2015
Lotte Turtel
Nov 08, 2015 Lotte Turtel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Awesome book!
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2011
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2015
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2010
Sophia
Sophia rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2013
Adri
Adri rated it it was ok
Jun 22, 2015
Christina Moore
Sep 24, 2013 Christina Moore rated it it was amazing
I read this book all the time for inspiration!
Tyisha Thomas
Tyisha Thomas rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
Katelyn
Katelyn rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2012
Megan Woodrum
Megan Woodrum rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2014
Crystal Hubbard
Crystal Hubbard rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Stage Makeup
  • Makeup Is Art: Professional Techniques for Creating Original Looks
  • The Makeup Artist Handbook: Techniques for Film, Television, Photography, and Theatre
  • Tudor Tailor: Reconstructing sixteenth - century dress
  • A History of Costume
  • Sephora: The Ultimate Guide to Makeup, Skin, and Hair from the Beauty Authority
  • Steampunk Emporium: Creating Fantastical Jewelry, Devices and Oddments from Assorted Cogs, Gears and Curios
  • Makeup Makeovers: Expert Secrets for Stunning Transformations
  • Survey of Historic Costume
  • What People Wore When: A Complete Illustrated History of Costume from Ancient Times to the Nineteenth Century for Every Level of Society
  • The Art of Fashion Draping