Start by marking “Richard Scarry's Mother Goose Rhymes and Nursery Tales” as Want to Read:
Richard Scarry's Mother Goose Rhymes and Nursery Tales

Richard Scarry's Mother Goose Rhymes and Nursery Tales

4.28  ·  Rating Details ·  1,696 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Now available for the first time: Richard Scarry's Best Mother Goose Ever and Nursery Tales in one delightful paperback volume. From "The Three Little Pigs" and "Little Red Riding Hood" to "Old Mother Hubbard" and "Peter, Peter Pumpkin Eater", Scarry's characters bring added pleasure and fun to this wonderful collection.
Published June 25th 1998 by Golden Books (first published 1964)

Be the first to ask a question about Richard Scarry's Mother Goose Rhymes and Nursery Tales

Little Miss and the Legomeister
I love these old fashioned nursery rhymes. And Richard Scarry's illustrations are always fun. The book is pretty big, with usually only one rhyme per page, so the illustrations are huge. I think my favorite picture is Elsie Marley, who is too fine to feed the swine.

And my favorite rhyme is:

One misty, moisty morning,
When cloudy was the weather,
I chanced to meet an old man
Clothed all in leather,
Clothed all in leather,
With cap under his chin.
How do you do, and how do you do,
And how do you do agai
Characters: traditional Mother Goose characters such as Jack, Jill, etc
Setting: various
Intended audience: preschoolers, kindergartners

With illustrated animals as the vehicle for conveying the rhymes and plain white backgrounds on every page, Scarry's presentation of the classic verses is a bit too simple. The pictures, composed of pen and watercolor, are juvenile and unstimulating, and require minimal thought on the part of the reader. The lettering used for the text is no different. Each page c
Jan 22, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is, I think, my favorite children's book of all time. Our copy has no ISBN number (it was published before they existed!), is about 12inches x 12 inches, and is completely broken on the spine. Many pages are coming out (but none are missing). And features poetry by little Pam, plus written commentary by little Pam ("I lik the cut kitten." - must've been before I learned "silent e".) It also has a page of fashion design drawings I did, probably around age 8. So many memories of being read th ...more
Apr 20, 2015 Mandee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part I
Rhyme Answer or completion Anthology/Page

In what rhyme is the hour of one o' clock important?

Hickory, Dickory Dock

The Real Mother Goose illustrated by Blanche Fisher Wright pg. 125

Child Craft Vol. 1 Once Upon a Time, pg. 11

Mother Goose a Collection of Classic Nursery Rhymes Selected and Illustrated by Michael Hague, pg. 26

When we ride a cock horse to Banbury Cross, what are we going to buy?
A Galloping Horse

A penny white loaf, a penny white cake, a two penny apple pie.

Century Co. , The Ce
Loretta Kramer
Nov 16, 2008 Loretta Kramer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best Mother Goose Ever contains fifty mother goose nursery rhymes artfully illustrated by Richard Scarry. The illustrations are large because this is a BIG Golden Book, unlike most Golden Books that are smaller in size. One nursery rhyme fills two pages, which makes this perfect for read aloud.

Best Mother Goose Ever is pleasing to the eye because of Richard Scarry’s animal illustrations for each of the nursery rhymes. Preschoolers will appreciate the sweetness in the characters faces and enjoy
Rodricucuz Vaughn
Sep 25, 2011 Rodricucuz Vaughn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1. Mother Goose

2. The illustrations are large, detailed, varied, and fanciful; I would compare it them to a combination of Norman Rockwell, Walt Disney, and Salvador Dali. My favorites include "Jack Be Nimble" with Jack as a grasshopper, and "Simple Simon" as a monkey and the pieman as a gori

3. Critique
A. If you like Engelbreit's artistic style, this book is for you. Has some uncommon rhymes for example "Three Little Ghostesses" and "Terrence McDiddler". However, some illustrations do not fit
Margaret Chind
Apr 28, 2013 Margaret Chind rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Memoria Press Junior Kindergarten

Through the recommendations of Memoria Press in their curriculum package it is amazing what is possible to provide in a pre-school or Junior Kindergarten experience and I’d say the bulk of the best of it is within the literature and poetry section. Since there are 33 weeks and 34 literature selections, let me start with telling you about the poetry because of this, there is really only three. Two, however that you use on a regular basis throughout the year of curriculum in the lesson plans. The

Oct 20, 2013 Cheeri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this old book (copyrighted in 1964 & 1970) at a used book store because I fell in love with Richard Scarry's illustrations. I read many books illustrated by Scarry throughout my childhood. He brings animals to life, dresses them up in human clothing, and puts them in human environments. I think a little rabbit in a sailor suit can be much more endearing to a child than an illustration of a boy in a sailor suit. This book contains the traditional Mother Goose rhymes with detailed, ...more
Apr 06, 2016 Joan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Richard Scarry's selection of classic Mother Goose rhymes. I have had this one since childhood.

Nice exemplars of rhyming and certain types of poetic forms.

Older children could sort poems by type or Imitate forms in their own writing.
Useful for oral reading fluency practice especially the tongue twisters.
Younger children could illustrate the a rhyme for an art integration.
Feb 02, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-kids
This is my current favorite Mother Goose/Nursery Tales compilation. In addition to the kid-pleasing Richard Scarry-ness of the illustrations, I love the actual feel of this book. If you know me in real life, you know that I am easily prejudiced against a book if it doesn't feel right in my hands while I'm reading it... Weird, I know. This one contains all the traditional stories and nursery rhymes but also meets my standards of hold-ability. The binding is loose enough that it stays open while y ...more
Alexis Neal
Nov 22, 2015 Alexis Neal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
It's fine, though I question the inclusion of 'When I was a bachelor'--and the exclusion of such classics as 'Humpty Dumpty' and 'Jack and Jill'--in a collection of the 'best' nursery rhymes. But my 18-month-old seems to be a big fan.
Serena Gutnik
Oct 02, 2015 Serena Gutnik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was my absolute favorite as a child. The only book to come close is Scarry's "Best Storybook Ever." I loved the stories, illustrations, and how heavy the book was when lugged around the house.
Mackenzie W
Mar 05, 2012 Mackenzie W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a collection of well loved nursery rhymes set in the world of Richard Scarry. Many readers (and parents alike) may recognize the characters from the Richard Scarry TV show or the "Busytown" computer game. The pages are filled with large full-color illustrations portraying the nursery rhymes in action. Most of the rhymes are confined to one or two pages, and there are no titles.

Overall, I found this book to be lighthearted and entertaining, but the lack of titles and page numbers ma
Oct 05, 2015 H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Cute pictures. But I still read "haystack" instead of the "haycock" for Little Boy Blue. Because I'm really mature and can't handle saying it out loud.
Mar 07, 2014 Shiloah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
My favorite book growing up. Still a classic in our home.
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Read by: Annie
Author: Richard Scarry
Genre: Traditional Literature
Interest Level: K - 2

This book contains most of the familiar Mother Goose rhymes, as well as many unfamiliar (and strange!) ones. It's a little too long to teach as a single lesson; better to break it up or pick and choose specific rhymes. Some of the language is quite outdated, which could be skipped or made into a mini history lesson. This book contains excellent, literal illustrations that children will like. This would make a g
Dec 10, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I forgot how much I love his art work!
This book is really good.
Jan 02, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
Good grief, I loved this book when I was a kid! I wore it out! This book is so synonymous with nursery rhymes for me that when I recite nursery rhymes with my niece and/or nephew, an inordinate number of Richard Scarry cats, pigs, rabbits, and dogs parade through my head as we speak the words. Jack Sprat will forever be a skinny little tomcat in my mind, and Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater? Yeah, he's a rabbit.
Eva Leger
Jul 16, 2009 Eva Leger rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Eva by: found at the store
Shelves: julias-books
Some of these are the classics that I heard as a kid and some I've never heard. Most are fine but a few I skip over because they just don't seem all that kid friendly if you know what I mean.
I don't think I'm over the top with what I don't allow Julia access too but some of these are a little crazy. I can't see sitting in bed at bedtime reading to Julia about violence- whether it's a cat playing pretend or real- same thing in a 3 year olds mind.
Jun 19, 2012 Niamhirl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These rhymes were read to me and my brothers when we were very young. We then all read them ourselves and it required much sticky tape repairs due to our love of it, when my two younger siblings were born this book was dug out again and much loved by both of them. It has also been read to my nephews when they were old enough to appreciate it - I will make sure to buy a copy when I have my own children and hope the get the same joy out of it as I did.
Someone devoted some time to pointing out the differences between the 1963 and 1991 editions of The Best Word Book Ever. Some of the changes are in the name of respecting cultural identity or gender equality but others are just weird. Like, no more jumping out windows. Bummer.
Mar 24, 2009 Meredith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preschool aged kids and up
Shelves: children-s, library
Richard Scarry is a classic, and it's nice to see nursery rhymes that haven't been dumbed down for kids. These are the originals, and they're as wonderful and the illustrations. Definitely better for preschool aged kids. We only checked it out because my toddler found it at the library and refused to put it down.
Aug 16, 2008 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
As always, Richard Scarry's illustrations are very cute. The narration includes standard Mother Goose rhymes, although they have not been edited at all and can be a little brutal. "Be he alive or be he dead, I'll grind his bones to make my bread." and "She whipped them all soundly and sent them to bed." Ugh!
Cindy D
A good selection of Mother Goose nursery rhymes. This book brings nursery rhymes more modern with the use of Richard Scarry's illustrations. This book offers a variety of opportunities to incorporate lessons in the classroom from phonological awareness, to rhyming patterns, to counting.
Oct 13, 2008 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: little teeny kids
Recommended to Katie by: Santa Claus?
I can still recite all kinds of stuff from this, and so can both my parents. Of course, the same is true for anything that rhymes and was published in English between 1969 and 1974. The pictures are fantastic. Hector Protector was dressed all in green, Hector Protector was sent to the Queen...
Feb 01, 2010 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any children
"I just don't want to grow up ..." is a lyric to an ad jingle I used to hear back in my childhood. Reading this pretty and colorful book always made me remember that jingle. Those who grew up with Richard Scarry's books will agree with me.
The Brothers
Nice illustrations along with old favorite nursery rhymes (and a few I hadn't heard before).
Jul 12, 2008 Danny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Amazing illustrations, made me laugh over and over as to what type of animal Richard Scarry would choose to represent the various Mother Goose characters. Lots of good times with the kids with this book.
Sep 19, 2015 Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my Mother Goose book growing up and I'm pleased to be able to share it with my children.

I loved the typical Scarry illustrations and it contains a very good collection of nursery rhymes.
  • Seven Little Postmen
  • The Jolly Barnyard
  • Good Night, Little Bear
  • Mother Goose (Little Golden Book)
  • Baby Animals (A Little Golden Book)
  • Baby Dear (Little Golden Book)
  • Love Waves
  • Tomie dePaola's Mother Goose
  • The Fire Engine Book
  • The Fuzzy Duckling (a Little Golden Book)
  • George and Martha Tons of Fun