Start by marking “Mother Goose Rhymes and Nursery Tales” as Want to Read:
Mother Goose Rhymes and Nursery Tales

Mother Goose Rhymes and Nursery Tales

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  1,248 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Now available for the first time: Richard Scarry's Best Mother Goose Ever and Nursery Tales in one delightful paperback volume. From "The Three Little Pigs" and "Little Red Riding Hood" to "Old Mother Hubbard" and "Peter, Peter Pumpkin Eater", Scarry's characters bring added pleasure and fun to this wonderful collection.
Published June 25th 1998 by Golden Books (first published January 1st 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Mother Goose Rhymes and Nursery Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother Goose Rhymes and Nursery Tales

Little Miss and the Legomeister
I love these old fashioned nursery rhymes. And Richard Scarry's illustrations are always fun. The book is pretty big, with usually only one rhyme per page, so the illustrations are huge. I think my favorite picture is Elsie Marley, who is too fine to feed the swine.

And my favorite rhyme is:

One misty, moisty morning,
When cloudy was the weather,
I chanced to meet an old man
Clothed all in leather,
Clothed all in leather,
With cap under his chin.
How do you do, and how do you do,
And how do you do agai
Characters: traditional Mother Goose characters such as Jack, Jill, etc
Setting: various
Intended audience: preschoolers, kindergartners

With illustrated animals as the vehicle for conveying the rhymes and plain white backgrounds on every page, Scarry's presentation of the classic verses is a bit too simple. The pictures, composed of pen and watercolor, are juvenile and unstimulating, and require minimal thought on the part of the reader. The lettering used for the text is no different. Each page c
Pam
This is, I think, my favorite children's book of all time. Our copy has no ISBN number (it was published before they existed!), is about 12inches x 12 inches, and is completely broken on the spine. Many pages are coming out (but none are missing). And features poetry by little Pam, plus written commentary by little Pam ("I lik the cut kitten." - must've been before I learned "silent e".) It also has a page of fashion design drawings I did, probably around age 8. So many memories of being read th ...more
Mandee
Part I
Rhyme Answer or completion Anthology/Page

In what rhyme is the hour of one o' clock important?

Hickory, Dickory Dock

The Real Mother Goose illustrated by Blanche Fisher Wright pg. 125

Child Craft Vol. 1 Once Upon a Time, pg. 11

Mother Goose a Collection of Classic Nursery Rhymes Selected and Illustrated by Michael Hague, pg. 26

When we ride a cock horse to Banbury Cross, what are we going to buy?
A Galloping Horse

A penny white loaf, a penny white cake, a two penny apple pie.

Century Co. , The Ce
Loretta Kramer
Best Mother Goose Ever contains fifty mother goose nursery rhymes artfully illustrated by Richard Scarry. The illustrations are large because this is a BIG Golden Book, unlike most Golden Books that are smaller in size. One nursery rhyme fills two pages, which makes this perfect for read aloud.

Best Mother Goose Ever is pleasing to the eye because of Richard Scarry’s animal illustrations for each of the nursery rhymes. Preschoolers will appreciate the sweetness in the characters faces and enjoy
Rodricucuz Vaughn
1. Mother Goose

2. The illustrations are large, detailed, varied, and fanciful; I would compare it them to a combination of Norman Rockwell, Walt Disney, and Salvador Dali. My favorites include "Jack Be Nimble" with Jack as a grasshopper, and "Simple Simon" as a monkey and the pieman as a gori

3. Critique
A. If you like Engelbreit's artistic style, this book is for you. Has some uncommon rhymes for example "Three Little Ghostesses" and "Terrence McDiddler". However, some illustrations do not fit
Margaret
Apr 28, 2013 Margaret rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Memoria Press Junior Kindergarten
CMM-JrKindergarten-Review-Button-FINAl

Through the recommendations of Memoria Press in their curriculum package it is amazing what is possible to provide in a pre-school or Junior Kindergarten experience and I’d say the bulk of the best of it is within the literature and poetry section. Since there are 33 weeks and 34 literature selections, let me start with telling you about the poetry because of this, there is really only three. Two, however that you use on a regular basis throughout the year of curriculum in the lesson plans. The

Cheeri
I purchased this old book (copyrighted in 1964 & 1970) at a used book store because I fell in love with Richard Scarry's illustrations. I read many books illustrated by Scarry throughout my childhood. He brings animals to life, dresses them up in human clothing, and puts them in human environments. I think a little rabbit in a sailor suit can be much more endearing to a child than an illustration of a boy in a sailor suit. This book contains the traditional Mother Goose rhymes with detailed, ...more
Anne
This is my current favorite Mother Goose/Nursery Tales compilation. In addition to the kid-pleasing Richard Scarry-ness of the illustrations, I love the actual feel of this book. If you know me in real life, you know that I am easily prejudiced against a book if it doesn't feel right in my hands while I'm reading it... Weird, I know. This one contains all the traditional stories and nursery rhymes but also meets my standards of hold-ability. The binding is loose enough that it stays open while y ...more
Mackenzie W
This book is a collection of well loved nursery rhymes set in the world of Richard Scarry. Many readers (and parents alike) may recognize the characters from the Richard Scarry TV show or the "Busytown" computer game. The pages are filled with large full-color illustrations portraying the nursery rhymes in action. Most of the rhymes are confined to one or two pages, and there are no titles.

Overall, I found this book to be lighthearted and entertaining, but the lack of titles and page numbers ma
Shiloah
My favorite book growing up. Still a classic in our home.
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Read by: Annie
Author: Richard Scarry
Genre: Traditional Literature
Interest Level: K - 2

This book contains most of the familiar Mother Goose rhymes, as well as many unfamiliar (and strange!) ones. It's a little too long to teach as a single lesson; better to break it up or pick and choose specific rhymes. Some of the language is quite outdated, which could be skipped or made into a mini history lesson. This book contains excellent, literal illustrations that children will like. This would make a g
Amy
Good grief, I loved this book when I was a kid! I wore it out! This book is so synonymous with nursery rhymes for me that when I recite nursery rhymes with my niece and/or nephew, an inordinate number of Richard Scarry cats, pigs, rabbits, and dogs parade through my head as we speak the words. Jack Sprat will forever be a skinny little tomcat in my mind, and Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater? Yeah, he's a rabbit.
Eva Leger
Jul 16, 2009 Eva Leger rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Eva by: found at the store
Shelves: julias-books
Some of these are the classics that I heard as a kid and some I've never heard. Most are fine but a few I skip over because they just don't seem all that kid friendly if you know what I mean.
I don't think I'm over the top with what I don't allow Julia access too but some of these are a little crazy. I can't see sitting in bed at bedtime reading to Julia about violence- whether it's a cat playing pretend or real- same thing in a 3 year olds mind.
Niamhirl
These rhymes were read to me and my brothers when we were very young. We then all read them ourselves and it required much sticky tape repairs due to our love of it, when my two younger siblings were born this book was dug out again and much loved by both of them. It has also been read to my nephews when they were old enough to appreciate it - I will make sure to buy a copy when I have my own children and hope the get the same joy out of it as I did.
Natalie
Someone devoted some time to pointing out the differences between the 1963 and 1991 editions of The Best Word Book Ever. Some of the changes are in the name of respecting cultural identity or gender equality but others are just weird. Like, no more jumping out windows. Bummer.
Meredith
Mar 24, 2009 Meredith rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preschool aged kids and up
Shelves: children-s, library
Richard Scarry is a classic, and it's nice to see nursery rhymes that haven't been dumbed down for kids. These are the originals, and they're as wonderful and the illustrations. Definitely better for preschool aged kids. We only checked it out because my toddler found it at the library and refused to put it down.
Dolly
Aug 16, 2008 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
As always, Richard Scarry's illustrations are very cute. The narration includes standard Mother Goose rhymes, although they have not been edited at all and can be a little brutal. "Be he alive or be he dead, I'll grind his bones to make my bread." and "She whipped them all soundly and sent them to bed." Ugh!
Cindy D
A good selection of Mother Goose nursery rhymes. This book brings nursery rhymes more modern with the use of Richard Scarry's illustrations. This book offers a variety of opportunities to incorporate lessons in the classroom from phonological awareness, to rhyming patterns, to counting.
Katie
Oct 13, 2008 Katie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: little teeny kids
Recommended to Katie by: Santa Claus?
I can still recite all kinds of stuff from this, and so can both my parents. Of course, the same is true for anything that rhymes and was published in English between 1969 and 1974. The pictures are fantastic. Hector Protector was dressed all in green, Hector Protector was sent to the Queen...
Mark
Feb 01, 2010 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any children
"I just don't want to grow up ..." is a lyric to an ad jingle I used to hear back in my childhood. Reading this pretty and colorful book always made me remember that jingle. Those who grew up with Richard Scarry's books will agree with me.
Danny
Amazing illustrations, made me laugh over and over as to what type of animal Richard Scarry would choose to represent the various Mother Goose characters. Lots of good times with the kids with this book.
Mandy
This is a great compilation of 50 Mother Goose rhymes illustrated by Richard Scarry. I was surprised that there were many rhymes I did not know at all or that I did not know the additional verses to.
Carrie Wilson
Jan 19, 2010 Carrie Wilson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any child
Recommended to Carrie by: my mother
Scarry's books were some of my favorites as a child--I "read" his illustrations as a toddler before I learned to read as a preschooler. I still remember his unique and humorous drawings.
Elizabeth
This book is so much fun that I am considering purchasing a copy. It has every nursery rhyme I can think of and more, including many that I did not know that I knew (thanks, Mom!).
Alida
Dec 03, 2007 Alida rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: k-3
This is a great resource to have. I found it at a garage sale. It has a bunch of nursery rhymes that kids know and love. I would use this when talking about poetry nursery rhymes.
Stephanie
This is one of the most comprehensive Mother Goose collections I've seen, besides being so winsomely illustrated. My one-year-old loves it. Recommended for all homes!
Stephanie Marie Bray-Voorhes
I loved this book so much growing up that when I thought my mother *might* have gotten rid of it I went out and bought it again as an adult (no i dont have kids).
Beth
A child tells me that The Queen of Hearts doesn't look like the one from Alice in Wonderland. No she doesn't, but she did get her tarts back from The Knave of Hearts.
Gail
My two year old couldn't get enough of this book. i think it was the pictures, but she may also have been responding to the rhythm and rhyme.
  • Mother Goose (Little Golden Book)
  • The Jolly Barnyard
  • Seven Little Postmen
  • Baby Animals (A Little Golden Book)
  • Good Night, Little Bear
  • Love Waves
  • Daisy Comes Home
  • Prayers for Children
  • The Fuzzy Duckling (A First Little Golden Book)
  • The Fire Engine Book
  • Baby Dear (Little Golden Book)
  • Tomie dePaola's Mother Goose
  • Mama Panya's Pancakes: A Village Tale from Kenya
  • The Happy Man and His Dump Truck
  • Here Comes Mother Goose
  • Zack's Alligator
  • I Am a Bunny
  • Miss Bindergarten Celebrates the 100th Day of Kindergarten
What Do People Do All Day? Cars and Trucks and Things That Go Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever! Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever Richard Scarry's Please and Thank You Book