I Do -- But I Don't

I Do -- But I Don't (Crandell Sisters #1)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  5,546 ratings  ·  112 reviews
"She creates perfect days."In spite of her incorrigible curly hair, Lauren Crandell is a neat-freak and organizational guru, qualities that make her the perfect wedding planner. But when two weddings in one day go haywire, and hunky firefighter Nick Corona comes to the rescue -- twice -- Lauren realizes there are a few important details in her own life she hasn't been tend...more
Published August 31st 2004 by Downtown Press (first published 2003)

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingSomething Borrowed by Emily GiffinThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Chick-Lit
413th out of 1,343 books — 3,448 voters
Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaSomething Borrowed by Emily GiffinBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingTrust by Cristiane SerruyaThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella
Chick lit
36th out of 229 books — 254 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephanie
Such a fun read, the last 5 chapters had me laughing hysterically out loud. A slow start with a drawing introduction but picked up pace as it went on.

Any woman with an obsessive compulsion for organization (as I do) will easily bond with Lauren, the main character if the book. Reminiscent of a combination of romantic-comedy movies like "The wedding planner", "hitch", and "sweet home alabama", this book was a fun read snd only got better as the story went on.
Mojca
Chick-lit is hit-and-miss for me. First person POV chick-lit even more so—okay, not counting Kristan Higgins it’s mostly a miss. And this book was no exception.

I hated the heroine’s guts and given the book was written in her POV I hated the book. Some fellow reviewers say she was written that way to make us see her growth toward the end. I didn’t see it like that, and I didn’t see any significant growth. Lauren spent the entire book feeling sorry about herself, mostly to do with her hair, using...more
Angela
I wanted to like this book as I had just come off of planning my wedding. But it was only OK. I found the main character a little annoying and wanted to pull her out of the book at times and slap some sense into her. But as others have commented, that's also part of her development and the author explains why she is the way she is. Also, I kept thinking of the movie "The Wedding Planner," while reading it. Even though the two have no connection, the plot lines are similar.
Karla (Reads and Thoughts)
Another random book i picked out of nowhere. I guess i'm just pretty bored these past few days and i decided to find some books to read and TADA! I found this one. I'm really a big sucker for books that has great covers and this one definitely caught my attention.

I'm hoping this one would not be another story with a typical plot wherein The boy meets girl-get to know each other-conflict-and live happily ever after blah, But i guess i was wrong, it was just another typical chick-lit/contempor...more
Alex
Wild hair aside, Lauren Crandell likes to think she has everything under control, she is, after all, the junior wedding consultant at Forever Weddings, doing everything short of standing on her head to make sure all her brides get the weddings of their dreams, even though he own perfect wedding ended in divorce a year ago.

So, as Lauren spends her days creating perfect days for others, she ends up meeting Nick Corona, a gorgeous firefighter who comes to the rescue during two of her weddings. At t...more
Anna Marie
With the intellectual depth of a rubber duck, Cara Lockwood tried to entertain me in a lighthearted novel of mistaken identity and comedy... and utterly failed.

First, there's the rampant stupidity. Then there are the tedious in-head explanations of said rampant stupidity. Most of which is more painful than funny. And of course the heroine is a complete idiot that everything just *happens* to go wonderfully for, and she snags the man hotter than People Magazine's Hunk of the Year.

*Sigh*. I really...more
Vaishnavi
What did i think? Well i've always loved anything related to weddings. SO obviously i enjoyed this one too. It was the usual cute romance, a breezy read and nice characters. What i liked about it most and what i found unique was how towards the end Lauren stood up and kinda let it clear that weddings are not important than marriages, i mean you should be able to marry the person even in a cattle shed and still be happy because you are going to spend your life with your loved one..and not just wo...more
Kelly
I really liked this book. I love the way Lauren comes into herself and learns to stand up for herself. She learns that not everything is going to go exactly as planned and every once in a while, things work out for you, not against you. It's a little annoying how she feels sorry for herself all the time, but in the end I think it's important in the development of her character. Lauren is always jumping to conclusions and believing everything that she hears, which makes for really funny drama. Th...more
Charity
This was a frilly sort of read for me. I was looking for a comedy to read and picked this up from the library. It did turn out to be pretty funny and I liked the story line and it even made me wonder if I could be a wedding planner in the future. The only annoying thing about this book was all the parenthesis thoughts. I kept skipping over them and had to come back and read them. They were thoughts like "...my hair is completely out of control (and you would think I'd been blown away by a jet pl...more
Kelly
Somewhere between 2.5 and 3 stars. Let's say 2.75

I read this one a long time ago and completely forgot about it until I came across it browsing on this site. That fact alone prevents it from getting a 4 or 5 star rating.

What I do remember about this novel is that it was fluffy fun. There was nothing outstanding about it, but it managed to keep me entertained enough during its length. I got it from a library sale, every book you could fit in a giant paper bag for $10. I think the value of each i...more
Afida Razuna
pas inget filmnya,curiga ada novelnya.trus bacaa.agak beda laah ama novelnyaa.kasih poin 3 of 5 aja buat cara lockwood,author yg novelnya catchy bget buat teenager.buat yg udah baca.nonton filmnya yaa.Nich itu hot fireman,dude.Gosh... i like it.lebih suka filmnya sih dibandingkan novelnya wkwkwkwk.but,one thumb up!
Indiaskye
"I Do" is a light, fluffy and funny beach read, but nothing more than that. It did make me laugh out loud a few times, and towards the end of the book there is a truly hilarious wedding from hell.

What bothered me, though, was how the main character, Lauren, kept making assumptions and jumping (or rather leaping) to (wrong) conclusions without ever trying to find out what she'd been told was fact or fiction. Definitely a very annoying habit for any character in a book.

On the plus-side, the male...more
Audrey Lester
I absolutely loved this book! It's an adorable story line and romance novel. It reminds me I simple falling in love can be. P.S. Watching the movie made me read this book.
Gillian
Super cute book and so much better then the life time movie. Light fun and enjoyable
Tanya
This is *not* something I would normally read but my sister loved it and begged me to read it, too. What a chore that was. I truly enjoy good chick lit. Good being the operative word. For me, it's silly books like this that give chick lit a bad name. Stupid, insecure protagonists who are walking doormats are a major pet peeve of mine. No, not everyone oozes self confidence but come on... get a backbone already. Plus, the whole mistaken identity/misunderstandings/hijinks ensue plt gimmicks leave...more
Joy
Jul 19, 2009 Joy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Joy by: Lauren
Shelves: chick-lit
I have to say that I enjoyed this book. Yes, it's frilly and your typical chick-lit, but I thought it was really funny at times. In an outlandish, but still realistic way. Lauren, a wedding consultant, finds herself in trouble when she begins to fall, unwittingly, for one of her clients. His actions throw Lauren completely off her feet (quite literally!) and suddenly she doesn't know what to do or think. It's amusing and I found myself laughing out loud; especially towards the end, when things g...more
Striratna  Nityahayu
Really liked it. In fact, kalo ada bintang tiga setengah, nah itu dia yang pas x)
Gatau sih, semacam agak love-hate gitu sama buku ini. Ada bagian yang kurang gereget tapi balik ke hal selanjutnya langsung seru lagi. Dan bagian kebakaran di akhir cerita rasanya agak terlalu dipaksa masuk, sih....
Tapi super duper suka sama Nick yang kirain teh pas awalnya kelewat sempurna, eeh ga taunya punya flaw juga x) (nggak suka Gary Stu soalnya). Dan kehadiran seekor kucing di buku ini juga nambah poin bagi...more
Barbara Elsborg
Fluffy fun with an at times annoying heroine but it made me laugh and when you're feeling sick, that's a plus. Yes, it was full of implausibilities (have I spelt that right? Lot of 'i's - but I don't think the author intended us to take it seriously. To be honest, I didn't really 'feel' the growth of the heroine - from put upon - to becoming her own woman. We were told rather than shown but I didn't even care too much about that. It was just an enjoyable read in bed while I coughed and sneezed.
Titah
you know what?
I love this book so very much..
And before someone complains bout how mess this review, I officially
announce that I am really,
really not good in this review think, so let's see
I really enjoyed my time finishing this book. Seriously. I kept shuffling while following how mess Lauren's life.
And just a little note, do not read this novel while tryin clog your ears with a headset-or whatever was it name-or you would realize that you giggling, by yourself.
Alison
This book wasn't anything amazing, ground breaking or new - but it didn't need to be. It was just a good 'chick lit' book with believable characters (mostly), and a fantastic sexy man - any woman who enjoys romance novels & chick lit will enjoy this book :)

I'd also like to add that the raunchier scenes in this book definately did a good job, they weren't too much or too full on, but just the right amount of excitement that leave you getting just a little flushed in the face :)
Wee!wawaLAA!!!
Lauren-a self-conscious wedding planner, divorced, and a heck of a boss (as in horrible, horrible), until she has to work on Darla's wedding. As she looks through the file, she realizes that Darla is getting married to a "James Nick Corona", thinking that James was Nick Corona, the firefighter guy, and feels guilty for flirting with him.
Then the truth comes out, along with the strangest SCANDALS evveerrr ._____."" (the creepiest things i could ever imagine)
Julie
This book was very interesting to me because once I started reading it I realized that it was set in Austin! So it was fun to read about lots of places I have been to or heard about. The book wasn't particularly exceptional, but a good enough "chick lit" to pass the time; another weddingish relationship book although in this one the main character is a wedding planner dealing with a difficult boss, difficult brides, a difficult family and a difficult ex-husband.
Meaghan
cute story about crazy bosses, cranky cats, psycho brides-to-be and mistaken identities...
Poorna Rajaraman
I like reading chick-flicks and this is one of them. I like it for its light, a bit too much descriptions at some parts. I dont like the fact that there are lot of paranthesis explanations about what Lauren thinks which gets too much at some point. On the whole, I liked the story. I thought it would be over once they sorted out about Darla first time, but when it actually ended after the (called off) wedding, I wanted it to really go on and on!
Xanmarknayden
Jul 22, 2008 Xanmarknayden rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: chick lit lovers
Recommended to Xanmarknayden by: Kristen Gross
My little sister read this and told me I would enjoy it, and that I did. I thought it was a cute story, with a couple of nice make-out scenes.My vision of Nick was pretty great, but I thought Lauren to be kinda sad and pathetic, I mean sometimes I loved her and other times I was like can you just think logically for a second and stop assuming stupid things!YOUR COMMUNICATION SKILLS WITH MEN SUCK! Anyway over all a great fun little summer read!
Allison  Junkans
Chick lit has a bad reputation for being stupid and silly. However, I think many chick lit books are well written and contain great characters. However, this book is stereotypical chick lit. The sexy firefighter rescued the girl 3 times in one day and then they date. This book is full of silly misunderstandings between the characters the whole book. The end is a cluster****. This book is just not good enough to recommend.
Hpitcher
so i found this book at the library and started to read the back of it and i started thinking that the story sounded extremly familiar. then when i looked at the cover it said that it was now a movie and that i had seen it a little while ago with my friend. so i read it anyways and of course the book was A LOT better than the movie haha. but anyway, the actual story is fairly interesting all in all.
Nikki Pennell
I think this book would have flowed more smoothly if it wasn't for all the parentheses. It was told from a first person POV so the inner monologues really didn't need to be in parentheses. Other than that, I found that there were quite a few dull moments and several cheesy lines. I can honestly say that I enjoyed the TV movie version better than I enjoyed the book. I was kind of disappointed.
Mary
This book was actually entertaining enough that I didn't want to put it down! When the mother of an 11-month-old will stay up until 3:30 a.m. (after having worked for 8 hours) to read a book, you know it's pretty good. It has a similar premise to "The Wedding Planner," but it is more intelligently written. It also had me laughing out loud more than once.
Dhini
This book is a light and enjoyable reading. Although I found some parts that are too annoying. Lauren tendency to overly organized even though it is required in her job. And also her denial of her ex-husband affair and her tendency that want to give a good impression to everyone even if they are annoying. Apart of that,it is a fun reading.
  • A Total Waste of Makeup (Charlize Edwards, #1)
  • Exes and Ohs
  • Slightly Married (Slightly, #4)
  • Scot On The Rocks: How I Survived My Ex-Boyfriend's Wedding With My Dignity Ever-So Slightly Intact (Brooke Miller, #1)
  • Little White Lies: A Novel of Love and Good Intentions
  • A Promising Man (and About Time, Too)
  • The Bachelorette Party
  • Frenemies
  • Diary of a Mad Mom-to-Be
  • Dog Handling
  • A Hopeless Romantic
  • Playing James
  • See Jane Date
  • With or Without You
  • Secrets of a Shoe Addict (Shoe Addict, #2)
  • True Love (and Other Lies)
  • Just Friends
  • Monkey Business
I grew up in Mesquite, Texas, which for those of you who like livestock shows, is the home of the Mesquite Rodeo. Ironically, Mesquite was named after Mesquite trees, only none of them now exist in the city, which is about fifteen minutes east of Dallas. No, I don't own a pair of cowboy boots, although I do own quite an impressive collection of black shoes. My Dad is a third-generation Japanese-Am...more
More about Cara Lockwood...
I Did (But I Wouldn't Now) (Crandell Sisters, #2) Wuthering High (Bard Academy, #1) Dixieland Sushi Pink Slip Party The Scarlet Letterman (Bard Academy, #2)

“True love is taking the risk that it won't be a happily-ever-after. True love is joining hands with the man who loves you for who you are, and saying, "I'm not afraid to believe in you.” 154 likes
“...sometimes you just want the comfort of knowing that somebody really does care about you (even if they show it in peculiar ways).” 29 likes