Start by marking “In One Year and Out the Other: A New Year's Story Collection” as Want to Read:
In One Year and Out the Other: A New Year's Story Collection

In One Year and Out the Other: A New Year's Story Collection

"It's not just another midnight...." Celebrate the start of something new with

"In One Year and Out the Other"

...a sparkling New Year's Eve story collection by today's rising fiction stars!

Cara Lockwood puts self-improvement to the test with 528 rules to live by -- not least of which is "Do not sleep with married men" -- in "Resolved: A New Year's Resolution List..".

Pamela
Published November 28th 2006 by Pocket Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about In One Year and Out the Other, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In One Year and Out the Other

Wanderlust by Kitty FrenchMidnight in Death by J.D. RobbNot Another New Year's by Christie RidgwaySecrets of a Perfect Night by Stephanie LaurensMidnight Kiss by Robyn Carr
New Year's Eve Romance
17th out of 50 books — 15 voters
Gone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled HosseiniA Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareThe Sun Also Rises by Ernest HemingwayThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Seasons and Weather in Titles
190th out of 663 books — 81 voters

More lists with this book...

Dec 01, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
The Good: This was a funny chick lit anthology revolving around the New Year. Resolutions, New Years Eve celebrations, and the aftermath of the choices made. You get pretty much what you expect going into it. Entertaining stories coming from Cara Lockwood, Pamela Redmond Stratan, Kathleen O'Reilly, Beth Kendrick, Libby Street and Eileen Rendahl.

The Bad: Anthologies are always a mix of good and bad, especially when it's a collection written by a variety of authors. Lockwood had moderate success d
Barbara Elsborg
May 12, 2012 Barbara Elsborg rated it really liked it
I've been disappointed so many times by collections of short stories - either because they weren't good or they felt like should have been longer or they were rip off bits of longer pieces by those authors. The erotic shorts sometimes seem to have too much sex in them - probably haven't - but I do like a bit of plot with my sex. 'get in there and take your knickers off- wham bam bang' doesn't really work for me. This book did. No sex to speak of but a very clever little collection of stories tha ...more
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
A wonderful collection of great chick lit stories that was perfect to read over the New Years holiday weekend. With many different characters at the center of varying stories from women who are married to women who have been single for quite some time and are ready to celebrate a New Years with someone special.

I fell in love with each story and wanted more when I was finished with each one. It was also perfect to make a list of authors to follow and check out.

I would absolutely recommend this
Meredith Miller
Oct 17, 2011 Meredith Miller rated it really liked it
I am usually not a fan of short stories and did not realize that is what this book was until I received it as a gift, but was pleasantly surprised. I loved the novelettes, or short stories. They were fun to read, and gave me exposure to authors I have not read before. I was familiar with Cara Lockwood and Pamela Satran, but others were new treats to explore. I highly recommend this as a light, fun read. Now I am off to explore the other novels of these clever women. Enjoy!!
Michelle Molinari
Jan 12, 2014 Michelle Molinari rated it really liked it
I don't usually care for short stories but I really liked the authors listed in this one so I took a chance. Besides, it was the new year and I thought the book was appropriate. All of these stories were wonderful. Not a bad one in the bunch. Still not a short story fan but any one of these could be novel material.
Christy
The individual contributions were hit-or-miss, but it was over-all a fun collection of short stories, all of them--as you can tell from the title & cover art--centered around New Years Eve (one of them was even a Christmas Carol retelling!)
Loida
Feb 05, 2009 Loida rated it really liked it
This is a collection of some really cute short stories. Some are better than others. My favorite one is "The Luckiest People" by Libby Street. I started it a while ago but finally finished the last story today.
Kusmadewi
It's quite good.. and I think it's OK when you find some stories are beyond good and others just good. The special one for me is the story about a girl who end up with an actor.. it's like a sweet dream to me.
Tarah
Jan 30, 2015 Tarah rated it liked it
I wanted to read some mindless chick lit this month and this satisfied my need well enough. I'd give it a 3.5. There were 2 or 3 short stories I wasn't fond of but I enjoyed the rest.
Wendy Richards
Oct 13, 2014 Wendy Richards rated it really liked it
I really don't read short stories if I can help it. That being said, I loved most of the stories in this! I wished most of the stories were their own book, I didn't want them to end.
Allison  Junkans
Jan 04, 2012 Allison Junkans rated it liked it
This is a fun book of chick-lit short stories, all involving New Year's Eve. I enjoyed all the stories except for one.
Jen
Mar 03, 2013 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Best stories for me were those by Cara Lockwood and Beth Kendrick. The others ranged from so/so to cute.
Melissa
Sep 10, 2014 Melissa rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. Some stories cute, others weird. Enjoyed the funny ones a lot.
Michelle
Feb 21, 2016 Michelle rated it it was ok
As with all anthologies with multiple writers there are some winners that you wish could be longer and some that you count the pages till the end. I think part of the problem is that I started reading with certain expectations, the main one being that it would be light and silly with stories that would have me laughing, There were a few like that but there were others that were a little depressing and real downers. It's an OK collection but I don't think that I will keep it to read again as I do ...more
Danielle
Mar 15, 2016 Danielle rated it it was amazing
I got this book for Christmas and I read it in one day, it was that addicting.
The Bad Breakup Regime by Beth Kendrick was pretty good and a little misleading.The story is about a man and woman who live together after their mates dumped both of them for the others mates.

Resolved: A new Year's Resolution List by Cara Lockwood was also pretty good and I love the other books that Cara Lockwood has written.The story shows a woman who is far from perfect and she has to sort through her issues.

The Futu
Jenny Indarto
Hmft *sigh*
Ashley
Aug 12, 2016 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit
Very cute short stories! Each story focuses on a different set of (mainly) women as New Year's Eve approaches. Each woman faces her own dilemma as one year ends and another begins. The stories are quick to get through, but still funny and entertaining. I would have loved to pick this book up right around New Year's, as that probably would have made the stories even more relatable, however still great all around!
Melea Rose-Waters
Jan 24, 2010 Melea Rose-Waters rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, 2010
This is a collection of short stories that center around the theme of New Years Eve. I thought all of the stories were really enjoyable and this is a perfect book for someone to read in December or early in a new year!
Vanessa
Sep 07, 2009 Vanessa rated it liked it
It's little stories in one book. Although some of the short stories were good, they ended when they were just about to get interesting so I was frustrated alot.
Christin Natalia
May 31, 2014 Christin Natalia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Cerita-ceritanya ngebosenin banget. Gak ada satupun yang ada 'isi' nya ataupun berkesan. Saya pun bacanya longkap-longkap saking gak sabar untuk nyeleseinnya.
Jessica
Aug 20, 2007 Jessica rated it liked it
This book is comprised of short stories. While they are great stories, I found myself wishing some of them had been their own books.
Kate
Apr 13, 2013 Kate rated it liked it
Some stories are good, some not really a page turner. I can't help exclaiming "that's it?!" every time I turn a page.
Robynne Zipperer
Mar 09, 2008 Robynne Zipperer rated it really liked it
Too funny - lot of fun - no brainer book. You'll laugh out loud - lots of short stories
Wendy
Mar 02, 2009 Wendy added it
A fun read - I don't usually like short stories but I definitely enjoyed the book.
Eli
Nov 20, 2012 Eli rated it it was ok
Short-stories of varying degrees of writing skill & reading enjoyment.
Caroline
Dec 31, 2010 Caroline rated it liked it
cute and fun with morals and romance. perfect new year stories.
Jessica
Jul 07, 2013 Jessica rated it it was ok
Not a huge fan of the short stories...
Mulva?
Sep 23, 2009 Mulva? rated it did not like it
lame.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
  • On the Couch
  • Hating Valentine's Day
  • Blondes Have More Felons (December Vaughn, #1)
  • Fashionably Late
  • The Velvet Rope Diaries
  • Balancing in High Heels
  • Rocked: Joe and Liss (Rocked #1-3)
  • The Ways of Grace
  • I Gave You My Heart, but You Sold It Online (Domestic Equalizers Book 3)
  • I Take This Man
  • If Andy Warhol Had a Girlfriend
  • Loving a Lush (Lush #2)
  • Edible: The Sex Tape
  • Charmed & Deadly (Bronwyn the Witch, #3)
  • Nightcap (Harlequin Blaze, #394) (Those Sexy O'Sullivans, #3)
  • Icy Temptation (Angels of Rock #1)
I'm the USA Today bestselling author of more than a dozen books. I've written in a number of genres: chick lit, romance, suspense and young adult. My debut novel, I Do (But I Don't) was made into a Lifetime Original movie.

I grew up in Mesquite, Texas, which for those of you who like livestock shows, is the home of the Mesquite Rodeo. Ironically, Mesquite was named after Mesquite trees, only none o
More about Cara Lockwood...