Start by marking “Mission To The Stars” as Want to Read:
Mission To The Stars

Mission To The Stars

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  235 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The colonies of Fifty Suns, hidden for eons in an ocean of stars, are finally traced by the warship, Star Cluster, of Imperial Earth. Torn By rebellion, Fifty Suns must crush the titanic Earth forces or submit to the domination of the Great Galactic Union. It falls to one man, Peter Maltby, brilliant leader of the feared Mixed Men, to unite the warring factions of his gala ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 191 pages
Published November 1st 1956 by Berkley (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Mission To The Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mission To The Stars

This was the first A.E. van Vogt novel I had ever "tried to" read. Being unfamiliar with any of his work except a for a hand full of unusual short stories, this book threw me for a loop. "This ain't no Heinlein," I thought, and tossed it aside after a couple of chapters, for it appeared to be a prime "text-book" example -the very justification, of what I was "told" was "bad pulp SF."

Some time later, after having read many other novels of this era (1939-55) I took another crack at that really coo
Set 15,000 years from now, an Earth ship has spent the last ten years in the Greater Magellanic Cloud looking for a space empire that calls itself the Fifty Suns. They are a group of mutated humans who left Earth many years previously to get away from prejudice and discrimination.

Earth promises a benevolent leadership; the Fifty Suns will generally be able to rule themselves. But Earth makes it very clear: Join Us or Be Destroyed. Long ago, Earth decided to not allow any other star empires to ex
Matteo Pellegrini
Un gigantesco incrociatore spaziale della Terra Imperiale, in esplorazione astrografica nella Grande Nube Magellanica, scopre prove evidenti di una civiltà sconosciuta che si estende su settanta pianeti, ritenuti disabitati. Ma questi pianeti non possono essere identificati perché sparsi in mezzo a un numero sterminato di altri pianeti, e i loro abitanti, discendenti di una razza mista di esseri umani e robots, cioè Umanoidi, si oppongono a prendere contatto con la civiltà della Terra. Si ha cos ...more
Finished it while my computer was getting fixed.
Van Vogt's books have decent plots but leave something to be desired in the dialogue department. In my experience this is typical for 40s & 50s pulp sci-fi.
On a side note: For some reason I love when sci-fi of this era has anachronistic things like slide rules & whatnot.
Picked this book up at a random book sale because of the cool cover and title. Isn't a bad book, once you get into it. I've never heard of read of anything by this author before, and I might again, but I'm definitely not jumping at the chance.

This book is about the discovery of a very well hidden race of intelligent life that almost comes to an end because of Imperial Earth. They are called the Mixed Men and are the offspring of Dellian Superhumans and human beings.

These Superhumans ca
Roddy Williams

‘In the far distant future the spaceship Star Cluster is searching for certain inhabited planets lost somewhere in the teeming wilderness of outer space. The inhabitants of these planets know the ship is searching for them but they refuse to reveal their location.
Why don’t these people want to be found?
What is their secret?
Discover the astounding answers as you read this gripping classic tale of interstellar adventure by AE Van Vogt, one of the all time great names in adventurous scie
Sep 14, 2015 Delta rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2015
I've never read anything by van Vogt, but I was pleasantly surprised by his writing. The plot was complex, but not overly difficult to understand. The characters were well developed and you could understand their motives. I enjoyed the setting as well, but it took me a while to understand the history of this future setting.

I listened to the audio version and I thought the narrator did an excellent job. His voice really works for the sci fi genre.
In the Greater Magallenic Cloud, the people of the Fifty Suns have hidden themselves since their flight from Earth 15,000 years ago. Now a mighty battleship, the Star Cluster has come to find them and make them, by whatever means necessary, rejoin the Terran Empire.

This book follows themes that readers of van Vogt will be familiar with: that of the hidden group of supermen within a civilisation. While being no 'Null-A', the story is nonetheless interesting and kicks along at a decent pace. One t
AAAAAAA!!!! I was half way through and lost it on the subway! Good read, too!!! But what really pisses me off is this was an awesome 70's trade paperback- silver foil, and a whole gang of Mixed Men on the cover, with rainbows coming out of their eyes!!! Everyone was so jelly I was reading such a cool-looking book, that was most of the fun. ARRRRRGGGGGH.

UPDATE! Found the book at my new favorite NYC bookstore : Singularity & Co. Finished it up and wow. I'm loving AE Van Vogt, in spite of his b
Jun 01, 2015 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
1983 grade B
This book is pretty tyipical for A. E. van Vogt. Tehre is a race of supermen, who everyone hates or fears. There's lots of crazy scientific gadgets. It was reasonably well written, especially at the beginning but the ast half felt sloppy to me.
Classico della space opera vanvogtiana: grandi astronavi, super-uomini, viaggi intergalattici...tutto sommato ben scritto, con colpi di scena ogni 2-3 pagine, che tengono incollati al libro fino alla fine.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Not one of his best (those would be the Null-A books, Isher, Space Beagle and Slan), it's the same old Van Vogt theme of mental supermen in hiding.
A classic Space Opera. But not the best work by Van Vogt.
Fantascienza decisamente troppo datata.
Megan Lynn
Megan Lynn marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
James Trulove
James Trulove marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Gordon marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
  • The Star Kings
  • Earthlight
  • The Listeners
  • Noir
Alfred Elton van Vogt was a Canadian-born science fiction author regarded by some as one of the most popular and complex science fiction writers of the mid-twentieth century—the "Golden Age" of the genre.

van Vogt was born to Russian Mennonite family. Until he was four years old, van Vogt and his family spoke only a dialect of Low German in the home.

He began his writing career with 'true story' ro
More about A.E. van Vogt...