Start by marking “When Eight Bells Toll” as Want to Read:
When Eight Bells Toll

When Eight Bells Toll

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  4,207 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Millions of pounds in gold bullion are being pirated in the Irish Sea--and investigations by the British Secret Service, and a sixth sense, have brought Philip Calvert to a bleak, lonely bay in the Western Highlands. But the sleepy atmosphere of Torbay is deceptive: many mysterious disappearances have occurred there, and even the unimaginative Highland Police Sergeant seem ...more
Published 1970 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 1966)

To ask other readers questions about When Eight Bells Toll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Eight Bells Toll

Checkman
Jul 20, 2011 Checkman rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of adventure novels
Back in the early eighties, between my 12th and 15th years, I read numerous Alistair MacLean novels as well as Jack Higgins, Colin Forbes, Hammond Innes, Desmond Bagley and Ian Fleming. Couldn't get enough of the British suspense novelists.But then I got older, my perspective and tastes changed and I stopped reading them. Eventually I got rid of the books and , in many respects, forgot about them - with the exception of watching the ocassional movie based on their novels.Most notably the movie ...more
Dennis Wales
What a good story! From the first page there is action that only stops long enough to make one hold his breath. Nonstop! And besides, how refreshing to read a rugged spy novel without any profanity! I had forgotten that they exist. I'll have to read a few more from MacLean.
Cphe
There is espionage on the high seas and Philippe Calvert of the British Secret Service investigates. This is an engaging and solid espionage novel. It is a little dated now but still remains an action packed read. I really enjoyed Calvert's sense of humour and there were some very amusing quips. A well presented cast of characters, good dialogue and some wonderful and fast paced action scenes.

A rollicking good yarn.
Marina Finlayson
This book is so old that my copy has pictures from the movie on the cover, showing Anthony Hopkins looking young and dashing. James Bond-like, even. I didn’t realise he was ever leading man material – I’ve only seen him play old or, at best, middle-aged characters.

The story begins rather like One Shot by Lee Child, with a detailed description of a gun. The writing is more lyrical and the sentences more traditionally structured than in One Shot, but there is still a lot of gun-related information
Achtung Englander
This one falls into the category - the film is better than the book.

That is not to say the book has some excellent qualities to it - the premise of hijackings, espionage and grand theft along the Scottish coast, with a Bond-lite skeptic secret agent is every teenage boys wet dream. Except the film does it better. Alastair MacLean style of writing is dated. All the female characters (both of them) are written as feeble creatures who need the guidance of a level headed spirited man. His scatters
Gwen Burrow
I remember liking the first scene. It had a Colt .45, after all. And the dry, understated prose was funny--for a while. Then I wanted to shrug my shoulders and be free of it. MacLean should have tried short stories. He's easier to stomach in small doses.
Seema Dubey
Alistaire MacLean was the standard fare during the long and hot summer months (when school/ college would be closed for 2 months). MacLean was one of the authors that the Book Library that I went to had. I would cycle to Hazratgunj practically daily to get a book, that meant reading a book a day. I read MacLean "coz they were available and 'coz everybody I knew was reading him and 'coz he did weave such fantabulous stories! Racy, full of adventure in some far off place that one could not envisag ...more
Shelley
It was ok, not too good but not too bad either
Sara F.
This was the first Alistair MacLean book I ever read - read it many years ago when I was in jr. high school, and I loved it. I've since read most of his other books and loved most of them as well. I think the reason I love this book so much (I pull it out and re-read it every now and then) is because it grabs you from the start. The tension from the first-person perspective, the beautifully-written descriptions of the Scottish coast, the sarcastic tone at times, and even some well-placed humor.. ...more
Ms_prue
No confusion over why this story got made into a movie so quickly. Guns, boats, helicopters, bad guys, death lurking around every corner. In fact, if the protagonist had been better-looking and had more of a chance to look dapper in a suit on three continents, instead of being stuck off the coast of Scotland, he might be in the running to usurp James Bond. Remember this is set in the 1960s, and it shows. Treat it as the historical novel it now is and just relax and enjoy. A lot of the key plot e ...more
When I picked up this book three years ago, I promised myself that I would never read it. Now, why would I do a crazy thing like that?

Because I wanted to be able to keep it with a clean conscience. I’d never heard of the book before and had no clue what it was about. But its beautiful blue cover with gold gilding demanded that I add it to my collection, and I was not going to read it so that it could stay there. (The cover picture to the right is not the same edition as my copy.)

But then, I saw
Richard Hemingway
One thing about an Alistair Maclean novel is that they are always informative. In the opening page of this novel we lean about the Peacemaker Colt. So called, I would guess, because if it’s fired at you it will blow an ugly hole in your body. Whatever anger you may have had will be gone after the bullet rearranges some of your body parts. Suddenly at the end of page one we learn that the hero has one pointed at him as he tries to calculate his changes of getting out with his body parts intact. ...more
Cherry Williams
Any reader of David Morrell should consider reading the opening first paragraph of this book to see how a master does it. Don't get me wrong for I really like David Morrell and he is the closest comparison I can think of to offer. For any who saw the movie version, Anthony Hopkins had nothing to work with. This is a book you are compelled to read in one sitting on the edge of your seat one minute and smiling the next.
Kent
This was when MacLean was at his prime, and a very, very good book! I just saw I didn't have anything on my "Espianage" shelf, so I'm going to add several of MacLean's and several others of the genre that I read when I was in my youth, and still enjoy re-reading occasionally.
Thomas Strömquist
A MacLean from his mid-60-early-70's period, when the books read very much like action-movies (of the time). Fast paced, suspenseful, do not expect any deep character portraits or analysis.
Ed Williams
A typical hard boiled MacLean thriller. No romance and rather one dimensional characters - heroes all jolly tough and laconic, enemies degenerate and louche. Great fun.
Darren Harrison
I saw the 1971 movie with Anthony Hopkins so I had to read the book. It did not disappoint. A really thrilling novel of suspense set in Scotland.
David
I really liked this novel; Pirates in the Irish Sea. Lots of details of Scottish Islands. I got a big kick out of this one. It was made into a pretty cool movie staring Anthony Hopkins. They considered doing a series, hoping to cash in on the James Bond audience after Sean Connery left. But when Connery returned, they dropped it. Someone posted the film on You tube so you can watch it in ten minute increments. Listen to the music. Very Bondish.

Reviewed by, David Feeney, author; Terror on the hig
Peter
This was a good read with a twist at the end, I liked this book, but a bit slow in places.
Wilde Sky
A secret service agent, Phillip Calvert, looks into the disappearance of a ship laden with gold bullion around the Western Isles. Is it related to the disappearances of numerous other vessels, some carrying valuable cargoes, some simply working / pleasure vessels?

The beginning of the book starts with Calvert deeply involved the plot and it takes a hundred odd pages to understand what is happening. The story proceeds at a cracking pace and it’s an engrossing read.

I would recommend it to anyone w
Doc Brown
Love Alistair Maclean books and this is one of the best
Huw Collingbourne
Not one of his best. A bit of a pot-boiler, frankly.
William
Mar 23, 2008 William rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller fans
Recommended to William by: My dad
Shelves: thrillers
This is my favorite of all of MacLean's thrillers, and not just because it is set in my native Scotland.

MacLean's books often rely of a big twist near the end. In many of the lesser books, Bear Island for example, you can see it coming from far away. But in WEBT, he keeps things taut, and the action moves so fast and furiously it doesn't give you time to think.

The other great thing about this one is the beginning. It starts right in with a great suspense scene, and just ranks up the tension from
Electric Landlady
You have to give Alistair MacLean credit. He was really, really good at what he did. Despite reams of infodump provided by at least 2 characters on 2 separate occasions and an unfortunate habit of "if I had only listened to X" foreshadowing, this book is pretty darn gripping. Our hero & narrator is a bit like James Bond if James Bond had a self-deprecating sense of humour, more things went wrong for him, and he wasn't such a tomcat.

Worth picking up if you like MacLean and/or thrillers set in
Philip
Good MacLean, but not great MacLean, subsequently made into a mediocre Anthony Hopkins movie, back when he was drinking heavily (and when Hollywood was looking to miscast him an action hero). Overall, you're better off with his war books -- Where Eagles Dare, Guns of Navarone, Force Ten, or the classic HMS Ulysses -- or his more famous spy novels like Ice Station Zebra, (which still hold up very well, and was made into a much better movie with a "Secret Agent"-era Patrick McGoohan).
Dylan Michael
Cracking adventure yarn from a master of the genre, When Eight Bells Toll opens in the midst of of the action and never really lets up.

Having seen the film a number of times I knew what to expect plot-wise, but must say that this in no way detracted from my enjoyment of the book, as MacLean's famously brilliant descriptive skills, along with the inner asides of slightly reluctant hero Calvert, made this alternately thrilling and highly amusing.

Timothy
It's been a long time since I read this, but there was a time I was hooked on Allistair MacLean books. They were decent suspense mysteries and I remember this one stood out as among my favorites. I can't say exactly when I read this so I'm taking a round number guess. It has to be close.
Ram
Just finished reading "When Eight Bells Toll" a gripping sea thriller from Alistair Maclean, who is one of my favorite writers. Maclean unleashes the suspense in the end but keeps letting in the secret bit by bit as the story unfolds, the big one coming in the end.
  • Alistair MacLean's Air Force One Is Down
  • The Snow Tiger
  • Alistair MacLean's Red Alert
  • Dark Justice
  • Landfall
  • The Devil's Alternative
  • XPD
  • Firefox (Mitchell Gant, #1)
  • The Salzburg Connection
  • The Rhinemann Exchange
  • A Matter of Honor
Alistair Stuart MacLean (Scottish Gaelic: Alasdair MacGill-Eain), the son of a Scots Minister, was brought up in the Scottish Highlands. In 1941, at the age of eighteen, he joined the Royal Navy; two and a half years spent aboard a cruiser were to give him the background for 'HMS Ulysses', his first novel, the outstanding documentary novel on the war at sea. After the war he gained an English Hono ...more
More about Alistair MacLean...
Where Eagles Dare The Guns of Navarone Ice Station Zebra Force 10 from Navarone HMS Ulysses

“I should have listened to Hunslett. Again I should have listened to Hunslett. And again for Hunslett's sake. But I didn't know then that Hunslett was to have time for all the sleep in the world.” 2 likes