Start by marking “Queenie” as Want to Read:
Queenie

Queenie

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  1,704 ratings  ·  31 reviews
The seductive and beguiling story of Dawn Avalon, who when wrongfully accused of a crime she didn't commit, flees her homeland to London where she becomes 'Queenie', a star of both the stage and screen.
Published January 24th 1992 by Pan (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Queenie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queenie

♥ Marlene♥
This was another book that I loved when i was younger. I still have the Dutch copy. Might tell my daughter to give it a try. She loved Lace by Shirley Conran. (I did too)

Back in the days I loved reading books like this. Judith Kranz,Jacqueline Susann, Jackie Collins and Harold Robbins come to mind. That is what is great about goodreads. You click one book and then you see other books which reminds you you have read those as well.

Well if you are not easily offended by sex scenes and you want to r
Dana
When I was young my mom kept telling me I remind her of a miniseries she watched years ago before the war but couldn't find again called Queenie starring the enchanting Mia Sara.

Years later, I told a friend of mine who was obsessed with books and movies about it and he got me the book, first edition, I kept on searching until I got two copies one on VCR and another on DVD as a surprise to my mother, I was 16 at the time, we only had half of the miniseries before and to me watching the whole thi
Nancy Rossman
First a disclaimer: my husband bought this for me as a joke because of its title alone. Once a few years ago in a moment of contention my husband blurted out that I was "such a princess" to which I replied, "No, Queen."

Anyhow, as these things go with married couples some things that were once angry become funny and reappear from time to time. Thus his nickname of me as Queenie has stuck. And so this year on our anniversary when he was out of ideas this book became one of my gifts.

We shared a goo
Michelle
I read this book a long time ago, but the story has stuck with me and I keep looking for it so I can re-read it. It is both tragic and joyous and paints a very realistic picture of the "dark side" of fame.
JoAnne Pulcino
QUEENIE

Michael Korda

Goodreads has given me another reason why I love their site so much. When reading reviews and comments by my friends, I'm constantly reminded of books I've read and loved before there was a goodreads. This is one of those books.

Beautiful, seductive, Anglo Indian Dawn Avalon flees the street of Calcutta for London when she is wrongfully accused of murder. She uses her intelligence and beauty to become a bona fide movie star mainly by marrying a charismatic director and their u
Philip
I first read QUEENIE when it was published in 1985, and remember it as a juicy, hard-to-put-down roman a clef about Hollywood's legendary Merle Oberon. All the author did was change the names!

Michael Korda knew his subjet well - by virtue of her marriage to his uncle, film producer Sir Alexander Korda, Oberon was for a time the author's aunt.

And with its pedigree, why shouldn't it be a juicy, hard-to-put-down book? The author, after all, was at the time Editor-in-Chief of Simon & Schuster, a
Ashira
Michael Korda doesn't know how to write for a woman. Queenie is a hollow shell of a character that fails to impress throughout the entire book. It's a droll journey through mediocrity that fails to live up to the stories potential.
Aliza Feinstein
I got caught reading this book in Navi Class (bible study) when I was in fifth grade. They called my mom to school and she had to leave work in the middle of the day to retrieve the filth from the school building- not me the book. I was a baaaad girl.

The truth is, it wasn't really that good.
I'm sure I used to have this book on my bookshelf about 25 years ago, the cover is so familiar! I probably have read it and probably enjoyed it so three stars ;)
Dawn Wells
First read in 1980. Would have originally given it three stars
Maya
I enjoyed this, though it certainly had a bit of 80s camp about it--even though it was about colonial India, 30s London, and 40s Hollywood! I got interested in this after reading Korda's memoir about being an editor, and it is based on his aunt Merle Oberman, who I saw in part of a movie once. Anyway, not great literature, but a fast and entertaining, if not a little guilt-inducing, read, especially for 632 pages!
Khristine Doiron
I really enjoyed this book, from the start to the finish. I was drawn in right from the start and even though there were many characters, which I do not like in books, I did not have a hard time keeping them all straight. If you are looking for a happy go lucky book, than this is not the book for you.
Luckngrace
A mysterious childhood in India, career of fame and fortune, and hints of story links to a real movie star's life combined to make this a very satisfying read. I saw the TV movie years ago and, naturally, the book was better.
Elynn
Read this book when I was about 12 (not many books available where I grew up) and found it fascinating and inspiring. It made an impression on me that has stayed with me throughout my teenage and adulthood.
Mrs. M.
Huh, sainpas vihdoin luettua. Tuntui, ettei tämä lopu koskaan. Aikamoista jaarittelua ja kiinnostavia tapahtumia vain harvakseltaan. Ei nyt oikein uponnut, vaikka sinnikkäästi loppuun asti luin.
Anya
What I think? sheesh this took foevaaaaa. Left it aside after I got about 1/3 through the book. Picked it up about a year later and finally finished it one summer.
Carol
One of my favorites
Celene Swagler
Loved this book!! I have read it over and over and even own the VHS mini-series starring Mia Sara and Kirk Douglas.
Ruth
I had absolutely no idea that the author had based this book on his aunt, Merle Oberon. You learn something everyday!
Susan Baker
I read Queenie in the late 80's, and then again in the late 90's, and found it fascinating, both times...
Sarah Firestone
Even though the story line has been done a million times this one was a good read & kept me interested
Samantha Dube
I couldn't put it down and yet I couldn't finish reading it. Loved it, the ending was sad though :(
Deepika
love this book very nice and well written , i cud not stop reading till the end once i began
Diane
Did not like this book, too long and to hard to get into.
Marilyn
The story moves slowly like an old movie.
Bell Joy
  • Naked Came the Stranger
  • The Second Lady
  • A Season in Purgatory
  • Bling
  • The Lord Won't Mind (Peter & Charlie Trilogy)
Hero: The Life and Legend of Lawrence of Arabia Ike: An American Hero Horse People: Scenes from the Riding Life With Wings Like Eagles Clouds of Glory: The Life and Legend of Robert E. Lee

“It must be nice, Queenie thought, to be one thing or another, to know where you belonged.” 3 likes