Start by marking “The Kid Who Named Pluto: And the Stories of Other Extraordinary Young People in Science” as Want to Read:

Which of the following were discovered or invented by kids?
a) Television
b) Pterodactyl fossils
c) Braille
Answer: All of the above! These important contributions to science and many others were the result of the efforts of curious and smart kids who often started with only a simple idea or sketch. This fascinating book tells the stories of nine such kids, all of who made las
Published February 1st 2004 by Chronicle Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Kid Who Named Pluto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kid Who Named Pluto

Nicole
Jan 02, 2011 Nicole rated it it was amazing
This was an easy-to-read non-fiction about several kids who've made contributions to science, some more significant than others. Chapters include:

The Boy Who Dreamed of Mars
The Math Whiz Who Calculated the Movement of the Moon
The Fourth-Grader Who Out-Smarted Medical Experts
The Blind
Kelly
I thought this was a great book, encouraging kids to work hard for what they believe in. My 8 year old thought it was a bit boring for some reason.
Yahya
Aug 25, 2016 Yahya added it
Veronica
Jun 09, 2009 Veronica rated it it was amazing
Very good tales of children who hepled science. Did you know that Louis Braille was only in his teen years when he made the Braile -- How blind people read with raised dots, that Pluto was named by a 14 year old girl, or that the first drawings of a tv were made by a 14 year old boy? Well this book is really good.
Jen
Aug 15, 2008 Jen rated it really liked it
This book wasn't quite what I expected, but fun just the same. Reading about the Science Fiction writer helped me to realize that my 7year old was an aspiring sci-fi writer. IT is always fun to read about the neat things people can do. even at young ages.
Missy
Apr 09, 2013 Missy added it
Definitely read this to or with a young child who loves science or math! this book tells the stories of nine remarkable children's contributions to science. Some modern day examples and some from 19th century. Five stars from us!
Mary Alise Herrera
Jul 03, 2012 Mary Alise Herrera rated it really liked it
This book has been sitting on my shelf for a few years and I'm glad to have picked it up tonight! I loved how the author combines kids we will know and recognize, and others who are much less famous!
Grace
Nov 10, 2008 Grace rated it really liked it
For the science geek in us all. Who wouldn't want to read about the kid who invented television or the girl who named Pluto. For kids of all ages that need a little inspiration.
Carol
Dec 24, 2007 Carol rated it it was amazing
The book consists of short biographies of five young people who makes a difference with their inventions. It is an encouraging and inspirational book written in easy English.
Cwoods
Aug 15, 2010 Cwoods rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun book that demonstrates how children and young adults are naturally curious and can actually contribute to scientific and mathematical findings.
Donalyn
Dec 02, 2010 Donalyn rated it really liked it
A fascinating look at nine remarkable children whose early interests led them to important scientific contributions.
Debrarian
A fun read. Includes the kid who invented TV; Mary Anning; Louis Braille; a modern math whiz; etc.
Theresa
Sep 15, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
wow a lot of facts, i did not know who invented the television or any of the other stories with in
Jeni
Oct 26, 2012 Jeni rated it it was amazing
My kids greatly enjoyed reading the bios of children who contributed to science in this book.
Anu
Anu rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Michele
Michele is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2016
Kassy
Kassy rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Yostina Hanna
Yostina Hanna marked it as to-read
Sali
Sali rated it it was amazing
Ayesha Alsuwaidi
Ayesha Alsuwaidi marked it as to-read
AlReem
AlReem rated it it was amazing
Feb 29, 2016
Harib
Harib marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Ahmed Lutfl
Ahmed Lutfl rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2016
daria ann pachovsky wang
daria ann pachovsky wang marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Averywittry
Averywittry marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016