The Kid Who Named Pluto: And the Stories of Other Extraordinary Young People in Science

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Which of the following were discovered or invented by kids?
a) Television
b) Pterodactyl fossils
c) Braille
Answer: All of the above! These important contributions to science and many others were the result of the efforts of curious and smart kids who often started with only a simple idea or sketch. This fascinating book tells the stories of nine such kids, all of who made las...more
Published February 1st 2004 by Chronicle Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Kid Who Named Pluto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kid Who Named Pluto

Nicole
This was an easy-to-read non-fiction about several kids who've made contributions to science, some more significant than others. Chapters include:

The Boy Who Dreamed of Mars
The Math Whiz Who Calculated the Movement of the Moon
The Fourth-Grader Who Out-Smarted Medical Experts
The Blind...more
Veronica
Very good tales of children who hepled science. Did you know that Louis Braille was only in his teen years when he made the Braile -- How blind people read with raised dots, that Pluto was named by a 14 year old girl, or that the first drawings of a tv were made by a 14 year old boy? Well this book is really good.
Jen
This book wasn't quite what I expected, but fun just the same. Reading about the Science Fiction writer helped me to realize that my 7year old was an aspiring sci-fi writer. IT is always fun to read about the neat things people can do. even at young ages.
Missy
Apr 09, 2013 Missy added it
Definitely read this to or with a young child who loves science or math! this book tells the stories of nine remarkable children's contributions to science. Some modern day examples and some from 19th century. Five stars from us!
Mary Alise Herrera
This book has been sitting on my shelf for a few years and I'm glad to have picked it up tonight! I loved how the author combines kids we will know and recognize, and others who are much less famous!
Grace
For the science geek in us all. Who wouldn't want to read about the kid who invented television or the girl who named Pluto. For kids of all ages that need a little inspiration.
Carol
The book consists of short biographies of five young people who makes a difference with their inventions. It is an encouraging and inspirational book written in easy English.
Cwoods
A fun book that demonstrates how children and young adults are naturally curious and can actually contribute to scientific and mathematical findings.
Donalyn
A fascinating look at nine remarkable children whose early interests led them to important scientific contributions.
Debrarian
A fun read. Includes the kid who invented TV; Mary Anning; Louis Braille; a modern math whiz; etc.
Theresa
wow a lot of facts, i did not know who invented the television or any of the other stories with in
Jeni
My kids greatly enjoyed reading the bios of children who contributed to science in this book.
Brianna
It was interesting. Small and I read it for school but still a nice story.
Susan
Susan added it
Aug 08, 2014
Suzette
Suzette marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Jill
Jill added it
Jul 15, 2014
Vy Nguyễn
Vy Nguyễn marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Lisa Swope
Lisa Swope marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2013
Rachel Piven
Rachel Piven marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
Marci Romney
Marci Romney marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Everyday Life in the 1800s: A Guide for Writers, Students & Historians (Writer's Guides to Everyday Life) Descriptionary: A Thematic Dictionary Damn! Why Didnt I Write That?: How Ordinary People are Raking in $100,000.00 or More Writing Nonfiction Books & How You Can Too! The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life from Prohibition Through World War II The Writer's Digest Sourcebook for Building Believable Characters