Start by marking “The Gun” as Want to Read:
The Gun

The Gun

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  20 reviews
It is the time of Napoleon. The place is Spain, where his troops are busy propping up Joseph, Napoleon's brother, as king. Spaniards hate a master, and rebel. They fight a desperate, protracted, bitter and merciless guerilla war.

Into the hands of a guerilla band falls a remarkable cannon, an 18-pounder that transforms the rebels into a besieging army. With the gun they red

Published January 20th 2001 by Simon Publications (first published 1933)

To ask other readers questions about The Gun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gun

J Deane
Forester’s “The Gun” is a brief but well-crafted tale from the pen a storyteller who obviously had a deep knowledge of the Napoleonic Wars, most particularly the sea war, which he portrays through his hero, Horatio Hornblower. But here, he also shows a mastery of the conditions of the Spanish peasantry and guerrillas who fought against the French invaders during the Iberian Peninsula War. Written in 1933, the book may have served as a model for Ernest Hemingway’s “For whom the Bell tolls”.

The g
Peter
A few years ago I read Forester's Hornblower series of books and thoroughly enjoyed them so when I was given this book I was very enthusiastic about reading it. Sadly I was a somewhat disappointed with it.

The book is the story of an old ornate artillery piece abandonned by the defeated regular Spanish Army, during their battle against the French during the Peninsula War, which is found and pressed into service by freedom fighters as they attempt to harry the French rearguard. Before discovering
John
Wow, is this a boring narrative written for the post WWII adolescent market. All narrative, little dramatic story telling. The main character is a giant bronze gun that Spanish partisans use to slaughter the French Infantry. Forester wrote a bad story, yet, nevertheless, he really knows how to tell a story. Skip this one.
Bill
A classic of military historical fiction, an old school good book. Forester influenced Bernard Cornwall in writing Sharpe, but Forester's books, though fewer, are better.
Toms Murnieks
Jan 11, 2013 Toms Murnieks rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like historical stories
rabbitprincess
Aug 19, 2012 rabbitprincess rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those with an interest in the period
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: LT
* * 1/2

I wavered between 2.5 and 3 stars for this one, but in the end I settled on the description I attribute to my 2.5-star reviews: "Almost liked it, but not quite." At any rate it is probably my least favourite Forester. The story focuses on a big bronze eighteen-pounder cannon that Spanish guerrillas steal from French forces during the Peninsular War and use to great effect on various campaigns. The battle scenes are very well done -- very typically Forester in that regard -- but overall I
Mar 12, 2011 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie
Mike Walker adapts C S Forester's gripping guerrilla warfare story set in Napoleonic Spain. Made famous by Hollywood as The Pride and the Passion.

Partisan groups under charismatic leaders wage a desperate war in which no quarter is given by either side. The hero of The Gun is the gun itself, a massive 18 pounder that is dragged across the mountains and plains of Spain - an epic task. Throughout the story, the gun changes the lives of those who fight each other to the death in order to gain contr
Nate
An interesting discussion of the Spanish insurgency against Bonaparte. The Gun provides a link between several different types of insurgents in a way that probably would never happen in reality, but it exposes to the reader to the undertones of the insurgency in a unique way.
Glen
Wonderful story ... I remember the film ... Think it was called the 'Pride and the Passion' ...
Edward Rosenfeld
They made a rather mediocre motion picture of this book staring Cary Grant and Frank Sinatra.....
Daniel
An almost documentary style look at guerrilla warfare in Spain during the Napoleonic War.
Fernando G.
The idea of making a gun as the main character was quite good and in my opinion innovative. However, I found the characters (human ones) quite plain and flat. I did not like the book actually too much. I found it quite boring.
Tom Davies
A short, gritty Peninsular War novel, similar in subject matter to Death to the French. A good read if you ever find yourself thinking that war could be glamourous -- in fact almost any C. S. Forester is an antidote.
Colin Powell
Set in Spain during the Napoleonic Peninsula War. This book started off a little slow but held my interest. It gradually got more exciting as it went on.
Rosemary
A book thought provoking read. Not exactly my kind of book and yet I found myself unable to put it down until I'd finished it.
Vince
Read so long ago - seems it is only available in hardbound now - try the library - great human struggle book - in a war
John
DNF - I got through the first 110 pages but it was a struggle so I gave up. Too many other books were calling.
☯Bettie☯
Mar 06, 2014 ☯Bettie☯ rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Brazilliant Laura!
Chrisl
One of my favorite Forester Napoleon era novels. Have reread multiple times.
Carey Combe
Not my kind of thing - too much fighting!
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Mahbubul Islam
Mahbubul Islam marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Ninez926
Ninez926 marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Scott
Scott is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2015
Jodie Grimes
Jodie Grimes marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Robert
Robert added it
Mar 15, 2015
  • A Regimental Affair (Matthew Hervey, #3)
  • True Soldier Gentlemen (Napoleonic Wars, #1)
  • A Tradition Of Victory (Richard Bolitho, #16)
  • Tenacious (Kydd Sea Adventures, #6)
  • Under Enemy Colors (Charles Hayden, #1)
  • Fire and Sword (Revolution, #3)
  • The General Danced at Dawn
  • Last Citadel
  • The Odin Mission (Sergeant Jack Tanner, #1)
  • Fighter: The True Story of the Battle of Britain
  • Zulu Hart (George Hart #1)
  • Rapscallion (Matthew Hawkood, #3)
  • Goshawk Squadron
  • Sharpe's Skirmish: Richard Sharpe and the Defence of the Tormes, August 1812 (Sharpe, #14.5)
Cecil Scott Forester was the pen name of Cecil Louis Troughton Smith, an English novelist who rose to fame with tales of adventure and military crusades. His most notable works were the 11-book Horatio Hornblower series, about naval warfare during the Napoleonic era, and The African Queen (1935; filmed in 1951 by John Huston). His novels A Ship of the Line and Flying Colours were jointly awarded t ...more
More about C.S. Forester...
Mr. Midshipman Hornblower (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #1) Lieutenant Hornblower (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #2) Beat to Quarters (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #6) Hornblower and the Hotspur (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #3) The African Queen