Start by marking “Letourneau's Used Auto Parts” as Want to Read:
Letourneau's Used Auto Parts

Letourneau's Used Auto Parts (Egypt, Maine #2)

In this “assured, complex and memorable tale” (Publishers Weekly), Chute once again makes a tiny corner of the world her own,a kind of Oz turned upside down with a wizard named Big Lucien, head of the Letourneau clan, another ragtag family that inhabits Egypt, Maine, and the nearby Miracle City.
Published March 10th 1995 by Mariner Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Letourneau's Used Auto Parts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letourneau's Used Auto Parts

Suzanne
Jun 16, 2008 Suzanne rated it liked it
Recommend reading "The Beans of Egypt Maine" first. The author continues the development of some loveable but often flawed characters here as well.
Judy Vasseur
Aug 29, 2011 Judy Vasseur rated it it was amazing

We learn of Big Lucian, small of body and big of soul, as he seeks to shelter and protect the individuals in his extended clan. Like a biblical bearded leader, with his own faults and trials, he is full of life, in fact larger than life.

Like flipping through a thick family photo album, each chapter is a snapshot of a powerless poor working class vernacular: Celebrating life cheaply by eating yellow cake, drinking Kool-Aid, and smoking almost non-stop because they are living in the moment with n
Alison
Apr 08, 2008 Alison rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Thinkers
Recommended to Alison by: PBZ
Letourneau is a poor man, do-gooder, rich in love. The story is how the lives of most everyone in their tiny run-down town revolve around one man.

He collects auto parts and people, working with both to help put them back together.
Anesa
Mar 12, 2014 Anesa rated it really liked it
Chute concerns herself with degradations of the working class and working poor in northern New England. Amid material hardships, the message for the female half of the human race seems to be: "Latin men will never be cruel, but they'll sleep with every woman they can get their hands on." This proves true of the Letourneau men and others of Acadian descent.

By contrast, Anglo Saxon men may appear faithful and steady, but they are unabashed sadists prone to molest their daughters (the Blackstone t
Janet Gardner
May 21, 2013 Janet Gardner rated it liked it
This one was a bit of a disappointment. It takes us through several years in the lives of the complexly-interconnected residents of the tiny fictional (I think) town of Egypt, Maine and the surrounding rural area, including a ramshackle, unlicensed trailer community dubbed “Miracle City.” The people are compelling and believable, and their circumstances--grueling poverty feeding ignorance, suspicion, and violence--feel all too real. I wanted to care about these people, even if I couldn’t quite ...more
Jane Anne
Mar 17, 2013 Jane Anne rated it it was amazing
Just loved this book. Kudos to Chute for reminding us that there ARE ppl who don't live for status, trendiness, upward mobility (other than that which can be found beneath the seats of a junk car!). Did wonder though if dear ole Maine has the following: Child Protective Services, Animal Rescue. Having grown up in the 50s-60s (when nobody had much), I'm alws interested in clothes. Do ppl have enough, and where did they get what they do have? In this world, the staple of most of the mens' wardrobe ...more
tamarack
Feb 10, 2008 tamarack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the little bit of hick in us all.
unfortunately i didn't read "The Beans of Egypt Maine" first - and i have to wonder if i stumbled awkwardly into the second in the series. no matter, i really enjoyed having some redneck pulp fiction to read. it's not to racy, so don't get overly excited. enjoyable enough to make me put another book of hers ("Merry Men") on hold at the library immediately after finishing this. recommended bedtime reading.
Cindy
Aug 13, 2013 Cindy rated it liked it
I liked it with reservations. Really enjoyed her first in the series (The Beans of Egypt, Maine or something like that) but this one makes me feel like I want to really wash my hands or clean the kitchen floor. The characters are sort of foul, ignorant and insensitive...just, um, trashy. You know, the ones that put cars up on cement blocks, have yapping dogs, big ones, chained in a grassless yard. Front doors standing wide open. Can't help but feel sorry for many of the characters.
Kyrie
Feb 05, 2014 Kyrie rated it it was ok
It covers Egypt, Maine, but centerson the LeTourneaus nstead of the Beans. It felt grittier and uglier. Maybe it was meant to be that way- poverty is gritty and ugly, but no one seems to rise above it.
Melissa McCauley
Apr 28, 2011 Melissa McCauley rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
I guess you can include me in the list of unwashed heathens who didn’t think this book was a work of literary genius. I found the non-exploits of the Letourneaus and the Babbidges to be beyond boring, and I could not force myself to finish.
Linda Broussard
Jan 14, 2016 Linda Broussard rated it liked it
Interesting story about the offspring of Big Lucien Letourneau, their mothers, and all the people who turn to him for help. It takes time to adjust to the author's writing style.
Amy C
Apr 29, 2008 Amy C rated it really liked it
Images from this book have stayed with me for years like the metaphor of the chained up dogs. The clash of suburbia meets hill people in Maine...happening everywhere now.
Jean
Nov 17, 2013 Jean rated it really liked it
Chute's characters are amazing. A glimpse into poverty that you are able to feel,smell, touch. A great social commentary.
Olivestarr
Aug 15, 2013 Olivestarr rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. There were parts that reminded me of Faulkner's Sanctuary. If you liked Beans, you'll like this one too.
Robert Mooney
Robert Mooney rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2008
Laura rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2008
Susan Willey
Susan Willey rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2011
Kendra
Kendra rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2014
Jo-Ann
Jo-Ann rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2014
Kate O'connor
Kate O'connor rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2011
Ted
Ted rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2012
Julie Marindin
Julie Marindin rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2012
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2014
Mary Volland
Mary Volland rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2012
Robert Pruchniewicz
Robert Pruchniewicz rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2010
Blechy Becky
Blechy Becky rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2007
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was ok
Jul 01, 2012
Poppy
Poppy rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2008
Susan Fetterer
Susan Fetterer rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2011
  • Chang and Eng
  • Safe Harbor: A Murder in Nantucket
  • Fishboy: A Ghost's Story
  • Cimarron
  • The Weight of Winter (Mattagash, #3)
  • Before
  • Loon Lake
  • Disaster: Hurricane Katrina and the Failure of Homeland Security
  • The Journey's Echo: Selections from Freya Stark (Travels)
  • Innovation Nation: How America Is Losing Its Innovation Edge, Why It Matters, and What We Can Do to Get It Back
  • This Cold Country
  • Reflections on a Marine Venus: A Companion to the Landscape of Rhodes
Chute's first, and best known, novel, The Beans of Egypt, Maine, was published in 1985 and made into a 1994 film of the same name, directed by Jennifer Warren. Chute's next two books, Letourneau's Used Auto Parts (1988) and Merry Men (1994), are also set in the town of Egypt, Maine.

Chute also speaks out publicly about class issues in America and publishes "The Fringe," a monthly collection of in-d
More about Carolyn Chute...

Egypt, Maine (3 books)