Start by marking “The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd” as Want to Read:
The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd

The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot #4)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  55,803 ratings  ·  3,085 reviews
Considered to be one of Agatha Christie's most controversial mysteries, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd breaks all the rules of traditional mystery writing.

The peaceful English village of King’s Abbot is stunned. First, the attractive widows Ferrars dies from an overdose of veronal. Not twenty-four hours later, Roger Ackroyd—the man she had planned to marry—is murdered. It is
Published 1967 by Mead (first published 1926)

To ask other readers questions about The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Mohamed El-Kazzaz congrats this question did spoil the end for me .. thank you
Jennifer Oberth I would also say yes, they'll appeal to you. It's not like trying to read Shakespeare where you need a translation for every line. I just finished…moreI would also say yes, they'll appeal to you. It's not like trying to read Shakespeare where you need a translation for every line. I just finished reading 'Mousetrap' and had no problem following everything and I didn't struggle to do so. I highly recommend Agatha Christie.

And don't watch that 'Doctor Who' episode until you've read 'Murder on the Orient Express' - spoilers.(less)

Madeline
I went into this book with a bit of an attitude. Roger Ackroyd is the only Agatha Christie book featured on the list of 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die, and I was skeptical about the List's claim that this was the only Christie book worth reading. But, as much as it pains me to say this, I think the List is right on this one. At least a little - I'm definitely not suggesting that you should read this book and then never pick up a Christie novel ever again, but if you find yourself in a s ...more
Ebookwormy
Just finished a re-read of this classic. I remember the first time I read it, the twist at the end knocked my socks off! My second thought was: "Agatha Christie understands evil in a way that is a little frightening!"

This time through, I remembered how it turns out (which is not always the case!), and was able to watch the clues with the murderer in mind. An astonishingly masterful piece of work.

When it was first published, in 1926, this book caused quite a stir, because no one had ever used thi
mark monday
Choose Your Own Adventure!

You are a country doctor living in a cozy English village - and your friend has been murdered! Suspects abound. Whispers and secrets and dastardly blackmail surround you. Your sister prattles on. The situation becomes increasingly aggravating and even worse, your nosy and very foreign neighbor decides to make your private business his own. His bizarre Belgian behavior soon becomes quite intolerable. Whatever is a country doctor to do?

If you decide to take a nice long tr
Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 4* of five **THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE AGATHA CHRISTIE'S POIROT EPISODE AS WELL AS THE BOOK**

The Publisher Says: In the village of King's Abbot, a widow's sudden suicide sparks rumors that she murdered her first husband, was being blackmailed, and was carrying on a secret affair with the wealthy Roger Ackroyd. The following evening, Ackroyd is murdered in his locked study--but not before receiving a letter identifying the widow's blackmailer. King's Abbot is crawling with suspects, includin
Josu
Leída en dos sentadas, es una de las novelas de misterio que más me han gustado. La verdad es que no es un género que lea normalmente, pero sí que me va conquistando poco a poco, y creo que es la novela justa para hacer que me enamore del género y continúe con él durante más tiempo.

A Agatha Christie tan solo la había catado con Diez negritos, y pese a gustarme, eché en falta un final que cambiase completamente la historia. Y El asesinato de Roger Ackroyd lo ha conseguido. Cada detalle está medid
Mashael Alamri
قررت ترتيب مكتبتي ( المخربطه ) فسحبت الرواية هذه وقلت في نفسي من زمان عن أغاثا كريستي (مع إني كنت مغرمه فيها ) جلست ع الأرض جنب المكتبه قلبت في الكتاب قليلاً وبعدين بديت أقراء لم أعيده إلا حينما عرفت من قتل (روجر أكرويد) فعلاً أغاثا عجيبه في الحبكات الكل متهم والكل لديه دوافع قتل التفاصيل الصغيره للجريمة تهتم بها الغوص داخل أعماق الشخصيات الحس الفكاهي اللذيذ الوصف الدقيق غير الممل للأماكن كل ذلك يجعل من روايات أغاثا كريستي أفلام على الورق :)

إستمتعت وتمنيت لو أنني أقتني باقي روايات أغاثا كريستي
Kat Kennedy
She got me! That cheeky beeotch! She got me!
Barry Pierce
Another all-round enjoyable Christie novel and the first time that I've ever guessed whodunnit! I'm getting good at these. Memorable for a twist ending that may cause kidney failure in the unknowing reader.
Ashley
Up until the ending, I really did not understand why this book is widely considered to be the best (or at least the top five) of Christie’s books. Then it happened, and I was like WHAT!?

Actually it was more like a double what, because not only was it a really daring ending, especially for being published in 1926, but I actually guessed the murderer! That has never happened to me before. I am THE WORST at guessing mystery endings. I am gullible and trusting and passive as a reader. Authors: take
Abbey
Ahhh, the infamous Roger Ackroyd! Christie got ENORMOUS press for her plotting in this one, and a lot of it was NOT good - loads of her regular fans were really PO'd at her for using a twist that "nice" mystery writers of the day (mid-1920s) didn't use. There was even a list of the "Don't" things for a writer including her particular hook in this book, and her flouting that convention angered many other writers (and readers) who felt she didn't "play fair". But the brouhaha really spiked her sal ...more
Chiara Pagliochini
« Prendiamo un uomo, ad esempio, un uomo comune. Un uomo che non ha alcuna idea delittuosa nel cuore. Ma in lui, nelle profondità del suo animo, c’è un punto debole, una tara morale. Questa tara non è mai affiorata e forse non affiorerà mai... »

Credevo che la mia opinione su Agatha Christie, vecchia compagna di liceo, fosse ormai consolidata, cristallizzata. La mia personale classifica piazzava nelle prime due posizioni “Dieci piccoli indiani” e “Assassinio sull’Orient Express”, capolavori indis
Brad
Sep 13, 2010 Brad rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chris Simkulet
I love it when a mystery fulfills my desires rather than my expectations, and I have always loved the way that Agatha Christie planted clues so that the careful reader could figure out the mystery. At around page 110 I figured out who the killer was (and I have NO problem with that), but I rejected the thought because, well, it just didn't make sense with what I know about 20s' mystery writing.

Which, apparently, isn't much at all.

Agatha Christie gets much stick for being a bit of Stephen King
Branwen *Blaidd Drwg*
"You mock yourself at me," said Poiro,t smiling; "but never mind. The old ones they laugh last sometimes, when the young, clever ones do not laugh at all."

Whooooooo was this a whopper of a mindfuck mystery! It had me fully entranced and kept me guessing (wrongly, as usual) as to who the killer was the whole time. And what a surprise the ending was! This book is pure mystery genius. If you read just one book by Agatha Christie, make it this one!
Sanjay Gautam
A mystery that lasts till the last page and ends with an unprecedented plot twist.
Jenna
I guessed the killer. I feel like a smarty-pants right now :P
Katy Dickinson
From my November 13, 2007 blog

Defending Agatha Christie

A dear friend of mine is no fan of Agatha Christie (1890-1976). He and I are both delighted by Dorothy Sayers (1893-1957) and her creation Lord Peter Wimsey. We have discussed them for many years. But the charm of Dame Agatha and her most famous detective, Hercule Poirot, eludes him. This defense is to present what I have come to like in Agatha Christie's mystery books.

My mother used to read Agatha Chr
Nada MH
إنها حقا مدهشة...
تمتاز قصص أغاثا بالإثارة و باحتوائها على عبرة مفادها أن الشر لابد خاسر..لكن هذه القصة هي أجمل ماكتبت أغاثا على الإطلاق برأيي المتواضع..
تمسك بيدك وتُعرّفك رويدا رويدا على سكان القرية الطيبين مشاكل بعضهم و نزوات بعضهم الآخر ..لكن آخر ما يخطر ببالك أن يُقتل فلان و هنا تبدأ رحلة البحث عن القاتل ...لكل من الشخصيات وجه مخفي ...رغبة دفينة ..ومصلحة ما قد تتحقق باختفاء هذا الشخص..أو تهديد ما قد يزول بزواله...تقنعك بأن القاتل أمامك هاهو ...وتلف حبل المشنقة حول رقبته رويدا ..رويدا ...لكنك
Manju
Ms. Christie is famous for her Hercule Poirot series. this is my third book by her and I loved it.

One of the most shocking thing about this book is of course the murderer and how the crime was planned and then executed. I never suspected that person so when it was told who the murderer was, I wondered how could I miss all the signs that were there.

The other thing that I liked in the story was a part where Poirot made everyone confess about a secret that they were trying very hard to hide from
Angela

This was my first Agatha Christie story and, being completely in the dark as to any details, inhaled ‘The Murder of Roger Ackroyd’ like a breath of fresh, slightly cocoa scented air. This little gem was a swift read, not only because it was utterly enthralling but the writing is comforting, stylish and uncomplicated.

M. Poirot, our hero among men, romanced me with his idiosyncrasies and sexy moustaches (how does he grow not one, but two of those things?). I was amused by this gentleman and follow
Dirk Grobbelaar
As far as I understand, this is one of Agatha Christie's best known works, alongside Murder on the Orient Express and The Mysterious Affair at Styles. There's a lot of hooh-hah surrounding this book, and it is one of the most influential crime novels ever written. Despite the rather formulaic approach I haven't yet come across a Poirot novel I didn't enjoy. These works succeed both as crime novels and period novels and Dame Christie stands alongside Sir Arthur Conan Doyle as one of the greatest ...more
Harini
I hate Agatha Christie for doing this. She always plays with my head as if it was her personal board. I thought that I was smart and that I had figured the real murderer but I was just humoring myself. There is no way that anyone will ever guess the ending of the book… Never Ever Ever Ever. The ending will take you by surprise and you will laugh at yourself because the whole thing was right in front of you all the time. It was that simple. Its only when you re read a few passages you see that an ...more
Nikki
I really didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I did. I mean, I like crime/mystery fiction, especially as something to take a break from literature or heart-breaking stuff (Guy Gavriel Kay, I'm looking at you). But I didn't expect to like Agatha Christie's writing so much. This first exposure to her work is due to my Crime Fiction class, which now I'm really excited about, and I'm probably going to look out for more.

It was cleverer than I expected. I'm generally able to guess the plot and motiv
Jon
Mar 07, 2010 Jon rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jon by: KC Public Library 2010 Adult Winter Reading Program 'Readers in
I almost gave this book three stars (or less) because of the ending. I was disgusted with Agatha Christie's cleverness. Up until the last couple of chapters, she strung me along, had me guessing, had me re-reading previous chapters to double-check facts. And them BAM! the last couple of chapters just made me cringe. I won't spoil the ending or what frustrated me so thoroughly.

All the characters were vividly drawn and enthralling. The plot and storytelling delivered page-turning fervor and middl
Linda Inês
Haha! Já precebo porque é que Agatha Christie foi considerada a melhor escritora de livros policiais do século XX! Mal posso esperar para ler mais livros dela.
Dina
Gail
Jun 19, 2011 Gail rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all who love a great mystery
Perhaps the best and certainly one of the most notorious mysteries of all time, Ackroyd is my favorite of them all. A truly twisted denouement of the plot stirred controversy and earned this book a well-deserved outstanding reputation. Although I've read Ackroyd at least 12 times over the last 40 years, it still charms me. When you know the plot resolution, you can enjoy the hints, the characters, and the setting. The characters are unusually well-developed for a Christie book. A+ for this outin ...more
Anushka

I.DID.NOT.SEE.THAT.COMING.

There is not even a single fault in this book, even if you will sit and try to nitpick, you won't find anything at all. Everything was just PERFECT! I've read a Thriller/Mystery after a gap of several months and boy, do I regret it! I've wasted my time reading those puny YA Fantasies for all this time while I could have been reading these masterpieces. No, I am not making that mistake ever again.
Ivonne Rovira
Forget The Labours of Hercules. Forget Death on the Nile. Forget Why Didn't They Ask Evans?. Forget The Body in the Library. Even forget Murder on the Orient Express. This is Dame Agatha Christie’s best novel. Sadly, I have to acknowledge it bests my personal favorite, 4:50 from Paddington, due to its ground-breaking twist.

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is the novel for everyone who thinks they don’t like love Dame Agatha.
Nancy Oakes
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd has long been one of my favorite Christie novels, not so much for Poirot's detection skills, but for its classic ending. This time around was my second reading of this book, and knowing the ending, it was still fun watching the solution to this rather baffling crime unravel.

Because of the nature of the story, I can't really give an in-depth summary here. If you decide to read this book, believe me, you'll thank me later. In the quiet English village of King's Abbot, R
Could you really guess who did it? 84 625 Aug 21, 2015 04:13AM
Do you think the ending was a cheat? 72 514 Aug 07, 2015 12:27PM
Review of the Murder of Roger Ackroyd 1 15 Jun 22, 2015 12:06PM
Excellent detective Novel. 2 18 Jun 20, 2015 10:40AM
The Agatha Christ...: Top 10 Agatha Christie Mysteries 29 60 Feb 17, 2015 08:11AM
  • The Nine Tailors (Lord Peter Wimsey, #11)
  • Vintage Murder (Roderick Alleyn, #5)
  • Murder by the Book (Nero Wolfe, #19)
  • Trent's Last Case (Phillip Trent, #1)
  • The Three Coffins (Dr. Gideon Fell, #6)
  • The Poisoned Chocolates Case (Roger Sheringham Cases, #5)
  • More Work for the Undertaker (Albert Campion Mystery, #13)
  • Brat Farrar
  • The Moving Toyshop (Gervase Fen, #3)

More about Agatha Christie...

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)
  • Three Act Tragedy (Hercule Poirot, #11)
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17)

“The truth, however ugly in itself, is always curious and beautiful to seekers after it.” 144 likes
“It is completely unimportant. That is why it is so interesting.” 86 likes