Start by marking “Between Facts & Norms: Contributions to a Discourse Theory of Law & Democracy (Studies in Contemporary German Social Thought)” as Want to Read:

"[A] fascinating synthesis of Continental and Anglo-American legal theory. . . full of interesting insights, acute criticisms, and striking passages".
-- Richard A. Posner, "The New Republic" In "Between Facts and Norms" Jü rgen Habermas works out the legal and political implications of his "Theory of Communicative Action" (1981), bringing to fruition the project announced
Published January 9th 1998 by MIT Press (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Between Facts & Norms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between Facts & Norms

John Borthwick
Habermas is a philosopher that I rarely see getting a lot of credit or discussion, and if I do he is usually being criticized. However his political and sociological work have had a huge impact on me and the way I view civilization and power. So I'm writing a review (1.) to say this is a really good book. And (2.) that I think a lot of the criticism of Habermas comes from misinterpretation.

Habermas's magnum opus, "The Theory of Communicative Action", is a sprawling and difficult work to read. I
Stefan Szczelkun
Oct 27, 2014 Stefan Szczelkun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Habermas takes the insights of his Theory of Communicative Action and applies them to a study of jurisprudence. The book loops its argumentation through a wide variety of discourses and can be repetitive. I found this repetition useful as a contemplative device. The aim is to argue for a legal system that is underpinned by a set of inclusive democratic validations. Law and law making that is a dynamic and continually re-evaluated enactment of the peoples will.
As usual with Habermas his refusal
Paul Cisneros
Mar 08, 2013 Paul Cisneros rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social-theory
A very insightful critique of systems theory and a strong call for civil action.
Bookshark
Apr 13, 2016 Bookshark rated it really liked it
This book is a very interesting attempt and I think largely successful attempt to bring together the liberal/rights strain of democratic thought and the republican/popular sovereignty strain. I see a lot of Habermas's thinking in contemporary democratic political theory, although this debt often goes unacknowledged. This book is also dizzyingly complex - if you think you know Habermas from only his essays you have no idea what you're in for. Of the arguments I understood, I found them quite inno ...more
Sorina
I mean I understood about every other page (if I was lucky). But seriously, apart from writing on things that I believed he could have said in much common sense terms, he does make a couple of valid points on discourse theory and law, mostly his discussions in regards to the relationship between law and morality.
Risa
Jun 10, 2009 Risa rated it liked it
Between Facts and Norms: Contributions to a Discourse Theory of Law and Democracy (Studies in Contemporary German Social Thought) by Jurgen Habermas (1998)
Reeder
Dec 08, 2008 Reeder rated it did not like it
Shelves: philosophy, law
Too many long words. Even if he only used the word "hermeneutically" just once that is way too often...
Filip Lubiński
Filip Lubiński rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Annabelle
Annabelle rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2016
João Carlos Bassani
João Carlos Bassani rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2012
Massimiliano
Massimiliano rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2012
Graham
Graham rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2014
Hamed Babaei
Hamed Babaei rated it it was ok
May 26, 2013
aldo zirsov
aldo zirsov rated it really liked it
May 11, 2010
Sharif Farrag
Sharif Farrag rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2014
Andreas Kjeldsen
Andreas Kjeldsen rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2012
Shahram
Shahram rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2009
Kris Dunn
Kris Dunn rated it liked it
May 09, 2013
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
May 28, 2007
David Benbow
David Benbow rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2013
Gregory
Gregory rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2011
Johannes
Johannes rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2011
Christophe Andrades
Christophe Andrades rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2013
Jake Mcnulty
Jake Mcnulty rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2012
Joe Busa
Joe Busa rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2013
Alex Covic
Alex Covic rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2009
Tomasz
Tomasz rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2015
Amandus Klau
Amandus Klau rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2015
Henry
Henry rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2009
Amanda Runnels
Amanda Runnels rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2011
  • Critical Theory: Selected Essays
  • The Democratic Paradox
  • Poetic Justice: The Literary Imagination and Public Life
  • Responsibility and Judgment
  • Case Studies and Theory Development in the Social Sciences (Bcsia Studies in International Security) (Belfer Center Studies in International Security)
  • Inoperative Community
  • Rain Without Thunder: The Ideology of the Animal Rights Movement
  • The Concept of the Political
  • Spheres of Justice: A Defense of Pluralism and Equality
  • Liberty: Incorporating Four Essays on Liberty
Jürgen Habermas is a German sociologist and philosopher in the tradition of critical theory and American pragmatism. He is perhaps best known for his work on the concept of the public sphere, the topic of his first book entitled The Structural Transformation of the Public Sphere. His work focuses on the foundations of social theory and epistemology, the analysis of advanced capitalistic societies ...more
More about Jürgen Habermas...