Start by marking “Flyaway” as Want to Read:
Flyaway

Flyaway (Max Stafford #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  280 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The disappearance of Paul Billson, clerk in an engineering firm, seems a minor matter to security consultant, Max Stafford. But when routine enquires result in Stafford being beaten up, he goes after Billson, who has impulsively taken off for the Sahara, where his air ace father had crashed during the London to Cape Town air race forty years earlier. A recent newspaper sme ...more
Published 1979 by Fontana Books (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Flyaway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flyaway

Ajitabh Pandey
This edition was published in 1979 when I was still in Kindergarten. I borrowed this book from my Father-in-law's shelf during my vacations. It is highly refreshing to read an adventure packed thriller from those times without the gear which is commonly used in today's publications like mobile phones, computers, Internet, GPS and so on. Characters navigating in the middle of Sahara with the help of tyre tracks, camel tracks, stars, sand dunes and old compass - which had to be cleverly used becau ...more
Chris Scott
Geographically authentic, fast-paced thriller set in the Hoggar, Tenere and Tassili of the central Sahara. This is Tintin for grown-ups, where laconic heroes like Burne say “what the hell…” a lot and casually swap diffs’ during sandstorms while chased by mysterious assassins. Women are usually somewhere else and “strangely attractive”. Compulsively entertaining departure lounge stuff and ten times better than Cussler’s terrible Sahara. The secret? Bagley actually went to many of these places to ...more
Rik
Brilliant! Like most Bagley books this is not fast paced, and indeed starts with normality, but slowly he draws you in with the intrigue and mystery of the story. The action feels based in reality, and the setting must be based on his experience, as I Googled the Tassili plateau to find it is as described. (worth doing to visualise the story). This book didn't reveal all until the very last page; great writing!
Ed
I got tiered of ready high paced,over-action-packed thrillers and decided I wanted to go back to less complicated times. Flyaway did just that. I've started rereading my old thriller books and this is the first.
Traveling across the Sahara desert, Max Stafford is pursued by people who have a definite interest in the same airplane that crashed in 1936, he is looking for. No cell phones. No internet. No GPS, and at times no water, make this an exciting read. Paced at the speed of a camel, it is no
Elly
This is the first book I read by Desmond Bagley and I was hooked. Bagley has the knack for taking you along on the adventure he's writing about. I read High Citadel while I was in the middle of Africa and yet I felt the chill of freezing in the 'Andes'. That's how good he is!
If you have lived in Northern Africa at all, like I have, you will enjoy this book immensely.
Suburbhater
One of my desert island books. This is a great adventure and suspense story that I reread regularly. Max Stafford is hired to find out what happened to Alex's less that able brother. The story takes us across the Sahara and through major life changes for Max as he searches for a long missing airplane and tries to stay alive in a desert full of enemies.
Susan
Another mystery by the author set in the Sahara desert with geographical and geographical details that made me understand the desert is not just sand. Does have one unfortunate reference to old fashioned racism in England that reveals past attitudes, thankfully now much improved, but still needing our attention and insight.
Suby
An aircraft lost on a record braking flight through Sahara desert has its own story to tell. Flyaway Peter, who was an aviation pioneer, is lost during the 30s and after much adventure the plane is found intact. The story of how he lost control of his aircraft is what this story is all about.
Highly readable.
Andy
Magnificent - a really simple idea but beautifully crafted by a master and played out with great, flawed characters and description of the environment that drew in right in!
Edwin Kort
Lekker leesbaar boek. Mooi plot.
Kate
Kate added it
Mar 12, 2015
Macnab
Macnab added it
Mar 11, 2015
Widy Šįmőñõ
Widy Šįmőñõ marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Tommy Verhaegen
Tommy Verhaegen marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Espionage Aficion...: Desmond Bagley? 7 10 Jan 14, 2015 09:19AM
  • South by Java Head
  • Wild Justice
  • Only When I Larf
  • Terminal (Tweed & Co. #2)
  • A Prayer for the Dying
  • Vayam Rakshamah
  • Vertical Run
  • The Rose of Tibet
  • S.E.A.L. Team Omega Flames of Betrayal
Desmond Bagley was a British journalist and novelist principally known for a series of best-selling thrillers. Along with fellow British writers such as Hammond Innes and Alistair MacLean, Bagley established the basic conventions of the genre: a tough, resourceful, but essentially ordinary hero pitted against villains determined to sow destruction and chaos in order to advance their agenda.

Bagley
More about Desmond Bagley...

Max Stafford (2 books)