Start by marking “Linux System Programming: Talking Directly to the Kernel and C Library” as Want to Read:
Linux System Programming: Talking Directly to the Kernel and C Library

Linux System Programming: Talking Directly to the Kernel and C Library

This book is about writing software that makes the most effective use of the system you're running on -- code that interfaces directly with the kernel and core system libraries, including the shell, text editor, compiler, debugger, core utilities, and system daemons. The majority of both Unix and Linux code is still written at the system level, and Linux System Programming ...more
Published September 25th 2007 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Linux System Programming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Linux System Programming

br
Jan 29, 2015 br rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015

"В наборе компиляторов GNU (DNU Compiler Connection, GCC)"

Качество перевода, количество опечаток и отсутствие редактуры удручает. По возможности избегайте книг, изданных издательством "Питер".
Lehaleha
Oct 15, 2016 Lehaleha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It started well, became a bit boring to the end, but it's book about API after all, not exactly action-packed topic :) It does its job well.
Murray Cumming
Sep 09, 2015 Murray Cumming rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
This book was a great chance for me to become more familiar with a lower level of Linux programming, which I usually manage to avoid unless absolutely necessary. I've gained a sense of the APIs used by system level software, such as daemons and services. I've also realized what extra tricks are available even to a regular application that wants to ask the Linux kernel to optimize for its own behaviour when dealing with large amounts of memory or lots of I/O.

After the excellent introduction, it b
Arun
Jun 21, 2012 Arun rated it really liked it
Shelves: cs
I really loved Love's Linux Kernel Development (LKD) book (I have read it couple of times) and I read this book in delirium immediately after I gobbled up the LKD book. This books can be kept as a reference on Linux system programming and one has to go to it periodically to check up facts while doing coding. In a way it is most helpful when u have a computer handy so u can type the example programs side by side while u read from the book (I didn't do it that way!). From my own investigation ther ...more
Paul Ivanov
Oct 13, 2011 Paul Ivanov rated it really liked it
A wonderful way to dive into systems programming and start getting a handle on the standard things the kernel does for you. Though Linux is in the title, Robert Love does a good job of covering the commonalities and departures from other unix-like systems out there. Parts of the book read a bit too much like man pages (I tended to mostly skip the paragraph long descriptions of each possible errno that can be set by each new call - that'd be useful as a reference, but not on your initial read-thr ...more
Dee
May 23, 2015 Dee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly readable, entirely useful.

O'Reilly books tend to have a very high standard of clarity and general smartness and accuracy. This book was no surprise.

With nonfiction and technical writing it is always a pleasure to find what you were seeking and then to find some more, which you didn't even know you wanted to know.

As an intermediate programmer who is interested in systems programming in the C language, I am utterly satisfied by this book
Edward Llewellyn
Nov 15, 2014 Edward Llewellyn rated it it was amazing
A very readable book for a programming manual - he not only goes over the API, but has well thought out suggestions as to when or how you should use particular programming interfaces, as well as which ones are most portable.

He also gets into some of the internals of the latest Linux version so you can write efficient programs for your applications.

Steve
Jun 21, 2008 Steve rated it really liked it
A very clear, if sometimes excessive look through systems programming on Linux. I think many of the individual functions and flags that weren't being discussed in-depth could have been left for the reader to dig through the man page.

Other than that, I definitely recommend it.
Alex
Jul 06, 2014 Alex rated it it was amazing
Almost no fluff, very detailed and at the same time not that huge in confront to Rich Steven's book. Great syscalls and low level linux design explained from one of the kernel devs. Linux Kernel Development is another his book which is already in my reading queue.
Paul
Nov 23, 2016 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Странная книжка: подробно разжёвываются очень очевидные вещи вроде известных по K&R вызовов, которые есть в стандарте, в то время как более специфические моменты рассказаны вскользь. Перевод корявый. Примерно через год надо будет перечитать, т.к. для запоминания одного прочтения мало.
Tudor Ștefănescu
Jan 23, 2014 Tudor Ștefănescu rated it really liked it
some good insights about the internal stuff that happens behind the standard library calls.
Sherif Shehab
Nov 20, 2012 Sherif Shehab rated it it was amazing
It's the best book ever when It comes about Linux internals, stuff like Multi threading, timers, IPC is perfectly explained in this book.
Kirill
Mar 24, 2012 Kirill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming, unix, linux
Для новичка в Linux типа меня по-моему вполне дельно, пусть и слишком много пересказов манов
Knr
Knr rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2017
Nicolas Kaiser
Nicolas Kaiser rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2013
Andy Delcambre
Andy Delcambre rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2014
Navid
Navid rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2014
Santiago
Santiago rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2015
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2008
Alan Silva
Alan Silva rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2015
Ema Jones
Ema Jones rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2017
Sebc
Sebc rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2014
Robert Love
Mar 08, 2015 Robert Love rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
wally
wally rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2013
Rina Yulius
Rina Yulius rated it it was ok
Apr 29, 2013
Philip
Philip rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2013
Jovany Agathe
Jovany Agathe rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2016
Anil Waghmare
Anil Waghmare rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2014
Swapnil Bhave
Swapnil Bhave rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2015
Vasu
Vasu rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2012
  • Learning Python
  • Classic Shell Scripting: Hidden Commands that Unlock the Power of Unix
  • Code Simplicity: The Fundamentals of Software

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Google, Android, the Linux kernel, book author, Boston
More about Robert Love...