Start by marking “Hidden Star (Stars of Mithra #1)” as Want to Read:
Hidden Star (Stars of Mithra #1)

Hidden Star (Stars of Mithra #1)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  6,654 Ratings  ·  177 Reviews
She couldn't remember a thing, not even who she was. But it was clear Bailey James was in trouble. Big trouble! And she desperately needed Cade Parris to help her live long enough to find out just what kind.

The moment the coolheaded private eye laid eyes on the fragile beauty, she almost had him forgetting who he was. If Bailey was a criminal, Cade would eat his P.I. lice

Hardcover, Large Print, 295 pages
Published April 1st 2008 by Wheeler Publishing (first published October 28th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Hidden Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden Star

Alp
This was another enjoyable book by Nora Roberts, a sweet romance with a touch of suspense. The author has successfully made me believe in love at first sight.

There was a moment, one blinding moment, when he couldn't seem to speak. He knew he was staring at her, couldn't help himself. His heart simply stood still. His knees went weak. And the only thought that came to his mind was There you are, finally. What the hell took you so long?

I'm floating to Cade...
Saly
This was a really enjoyable book, yeah not logical that our hero Cade took the amnesiac heroine to his house, whose name seems to be Bailey and that it was love at first sight for him, but sometimes you just gotta go with the flow of the book.

Cade is the black sheep of his wealthy family, he tried things their way, even got married but now he's doing things his way, with his PI business when the woman of his dreams walks in when his office is in a disarray, she cries, is carrying a gun, lot of m
Lyndi
Sep 01, 2012 Lyndi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: heroine-ruins-it
This is the 2nd amnesia story from Nora Roberts I've read in two days. So, I kinda expected to find similarities and not really enjoy it. But alas, there were few similarities. Mainly because the character from the other book (Brie from Affaire Royale) wasn't a pussy and Bailey certainly was.

She hires Cade, a private investigator, to figure out who she is and why she has a 100 carat diamond, 1 million dollars, and a gun. But at every turn - every time she makes a little headway in remembering -
Jacob Proffitt
Nov 29, 2016 Jacob Proffitt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, steamy
I took a chance on this late 90s Roberts and was pleased it turned out so well. It's short and light but with a fun story that kept me engaged to the end.

There's a smattering of the supernatural at play, as Roberts sometimes does, and that starts with a touch of insta-love (for Cade, at any rate). Which was kind of necessary as the entire action takes maybe four days. They're intense days, so I actually buy the bond built between Cade and Bailey, even if I had moments of frustration with their m
Andreea Ilie
Această serie are ca subiect povestea a trei stele din Mithra, un fel de diamante albastre, ce, laolaltă, ar putea aduce putere şi nemurire celui care le posedă. Stelele sunt pietre foarte vechi, ce odată se găseau fixate într-un triunghi de aur, aşezat în mâinile unei statui a lui Mithra, zeul antic person al luminii şi al înţelepciunii. Se spune că „cele trei stele sunt un mit, o legendă născută din trinitate, deşi unii savanţi credeau ferm în existenţa lor descriindu-le drept simboluri ale i ...more
Mojca
P.I. Cade Parris has finally met the woman of his life. She's gorgeous, frightened out of her mind, carrying a bag full of cash, a gun, and a huge diamond, and has no idea who she is. The only clue to her identity is a piece of paper with the name Bailey on it.

Now, since she's the woman of his life, and he's finally found her, Cade has no intention of letting her down, but as the two start piecing together clues to Bailey's identity and the reasons behind her strange fear of lightning, it soon b
Lauren
Hidden Star
3.5 Stars

Private detective Cade Parris is not surprised when a beautiful woman with a bag full of cash and a gun walk into his office. What does confuse him is the fact that she has no memory of who she is and just happens to have a huge blue diamond in her bag as well. Who is the mysterious woman - an innocent victim or a dangerous femme fatale?

One of Roberts’ earlier books that is entertaining enough but may not stand the test of time as there is nothing particularly memorable about
Marleen
Mar 30, 2015 Marleen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nora-roberts
As I was looking for something light to listen to in audio-book, I stumbled upon this older Stars of Mithra series by Nora Roberts. Never heard of it before. No wonder, because it’s an absolute disappointment – too cookie-cutter, too maudlin. The plot elements in themselves aren’t bad, it’s the story that is boring and the relationship between the lead characters that is just too flimsy for words. There’s private eye, Cade Parris, and the amnesia victim Bailey who, at the beginning of the story ...more
Wendy
Apr 11, 2015 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I lovvvved this book! It's pace was fast, simple yet complicated and reading it was like a fun ride! I won't stop until I'm done with the trilogy. It has suspense, terror, passion, love, sex and all the elements that makes a book worth reading! Cade's casual indifference towards his family with shrewd and witty comments and Bailey's obsession with being neat and her expert talent at worrying knits their love story into a beautiful and colorful sweater! I'm so glad I got my hands on this book and ...more
Geo Marcovici
Oct 04, 2015 Geo Marcovici rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frumoasa cartea, mi-a placut. Si asta in ciuda numărului mic de pagini...
Marian
Oct 14, 2014 Marian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved these characters, and can't wait for the next book in the Star of Mithra Series
Angela
Jan 08, 2016 Angela marked it as deals  ·  review of another edition
8 January 2016: $1.99 on Kindle
Mike
Dec 02, 2016 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up (on sale) because I'd heard that Nora Roberts sells 20 books a minute or some such ridiculous number, and I wanted to see if I could figure out why.

I couldn't. I'm deeply puzzled, in fact, because this was a bland, mediocre romance, constructed largely out of cliche, with several basic craft issues.

The editing is mostly fine, apart from some oddly placed or missing spaces in words like "belong," "inside" and "eyebrows," and one use of "diffuse" which should probably be "defuse
Quinn's Book Nook
Hidden Star by Nora Roberts, the first book in the Stars of Mithra series, features one of my favorite tropes in romance. Amnesia plots, though so very unbelievable, are just too much fun for me to resist, and Hidden Star is a great example. While Hidden Star isn't quite perfect, and it is slightly dated, it's also a really fun read.

Cade is a private detective, and he's quite happy with his life, even though his former receptionist quick suddenly leaving his office in a bit of a mess. He's not a
Pupottina

Donne con diamante in borsa

È questa la Nora Roberts che preferisco, quella più moderna e originale, ma sempre fautrice di storie appassionanti e di eroine delle quali si sogna ardentemente di poterne vivere le emozioni romantiche.
In DONNE E DIAMANTI, oltre allo scintillio delle “magiche” pietre, amiche delle donne, c’è anche il brivido di emozioni forti, pericolose, dove mistero e imprevedibilità sono tra i punti vincenti della trama.
DONNE E DIAMANTI raccoglie tre romanzi di Nora Roberts, quelli
Sarri
May 18, 2014 Sarri rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Heti aluksi on pakko selventää, että hankin tämän sarjan kirjastolle, mutta en löytänyt mistään tarkempaa selvitystä, oliko tämä sarja dekkareita vai romantiikkaa. Siispä oli pakko lukaista tämä, jotta voidaan laittaa oikeaan osastoon. Voi jösses sitä hampaidenkiristystä, kun luin tätä. Voin lämpimästi suositella tätä sellaisille lukijoille, jotka eivät paljoa jaksa perehtyä juoniin, pitävät nopeatempoisesta kerronnasta ja haaveilevat tuntemattomien, uskomattoman komeiden miesten rakastuvan ja o ...more
Shiran
Jan 19, 2012 Shiran rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, romance, fiction
Hidden Star is the first book in the Stars of Mithra series. The story begins when a young and beautiful woman walks into PI, Cade Parris's office ready to hire him to find her. Bailey has amnesia, a million dollars in a duffel bag and a diamond the size of her fist. For Cade it's love at first sight but before either of them can do or say anything they need to figure out who Bailey is and what happened to her.

Cade is a great character, he is witty and charismatic. I loved that he was the black
Maria
Feb 05, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the fast pace of the book and the characters and how they interacted. There were a few places where the logic was questionable in that I felt the pace was disrupted by unexpected behavior or dialogue on the part of the hero or the heroine, i. e., there was no build up to cause the reader to expect the reaction that one or the other had. It was a bit disconcerting, because Ms. Roberts' main strengths are, in my opinion, the smooth flow of her writing and her imagery. The flow wasn't alw ...more
Katrina
Jan 26, 2016 Katrina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cade Parris takes one look at the beautiful blond that walks unannounced into his office and falls in love. Unfortunately, the stunning woman is there to hire the handsome private investigator to find a missing person: herself. Fragile and clearly vulnerable, Bailey James doesn't even know her own name. Nor does she know why she's carrying a tote bag filled with more than a million dollars in cash, a pistol, and a priceless blue diamond. Fortunately for Cade's heart, Bailey is as undeniably draw ...more
Nitzan Schwarz
Yeah, I'm rating this one even though I didn't finish it.

But I feel like I have too, because the insta love is strong in this one. He sees her, and already he knows he's in love. Same for her. And it takes them three day (view spoiler). And while this insta love is happening, the hero actually doesn't know a single thing about the heroine because SHE HAS NO MEMORIES. And they're fighting or having incomprehensible mood swings ALL THE TIME. So no, I couldn't do
Paraphrodite
Sep 16, 2016 Paraphrodite rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2016
3.5 stars.

A bit dated but with a very interesting and almost cliche start. A beautiful, well-dressed woman carrying a canvas bag walks into the run-down office of a hard-boiled P.I. asking for help to find her missing memory.

It was "Love At First Sight" for the hero even after he discovers the bag contains a huge 50 carat blue diamond, a million dollar in cash and a gun. The hero brings her home where she discovers he's actually mega-rich with lots of convenient contacts and the journey begins
SANDRA
Mar 07, 2011 SANDRA rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was less than what I expected from Ms. Roberts. It was a good story, the characters were well written, but there was some substance missing to the whole of the story.. Cade was great as the leading man, and Bailey forgetting everything from her life it was a good mix of mystery to it. Still no intense story.. :D hope it gets better with the next book. :D
Kylie Holcombe
I would class this more as a 'Mills & Boon' type novel than a thriller. It was passable, but just, only thing is I brought the 3 novels in the series in a Kindle Daily Deal and now feel somewhat obliged to read the other 2.
Susan
Jan 18, 2016 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
We're doing a Private Investigator genre study. I did a search in Overdrive and read this one - apparently I don't like romance. So don't judge this book by me not liking it - I'd rather not read about strong men protecting fragile women.
Ana
Jan 31, 2016 Ana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kobo
Bailey está perdida e não consegue ter a mínima noção de quem é, do que faz e porque tem consigo um diamante fabuloso dentro de um simples saco de lona. Nesta busca de identidade contrata um detective privado para resolver este mistério. É um livro pequeno de rápida leitura.
Fernanda
:) welll... apesar de ser Nora Roberts... ficou bem aquem do é que costume na escritora...
o suspense, o despertar do interesse imediato...
a historia é mais ou menos credivel...se bem que os personagens poderiam ter sido mais "trabalhados"

historia simples sem nada de empolgante.
Beth
Feb 16, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part one of three stories about a group of friends and their experiences with some mythical diamonds. A pretty romance (not realistic due to the magical overtones)mixed with the suspense of a mystery.
Heather Seyer
Jan 20, 2015 Heather Seyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this while on vacation at the beach. It was had to put down and kept me guessing, which I loved. I look forward to reading the next two books in the series. First Nora Roberts book, but not the last.
Tania Martins
Acabei o primeiro livro, achei meio insonso tirando o Cade que era uma personagem com alguma força, a Bailey era meio fraca das ideias! Vamos lá ver se no segundo melhora!
Alexandra
1/8/16 $1.99 for Kindle, $3.49 to add Audible.
  • Vertraute Gefahr (Hunter, #1)
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Royal's Child (The Justice Way, #3)
  • Open Season
  • Linksaufsteher: Ein Montagsroman
  • Dead of Night (In Death, #24.5)
  • Mackenzie's Mission (Mackenzie Family, #2)
  • Bad Blood (Intercrime, #2)
  • My Nerdy Valentine (Nerds, #7)
  • Defiance (Greystone, #4)
More about Nora Roberts...

Stars of Mithra (3 books)
  • Captive Star (Stars of Mithra, #2)
  • Secret Star (Stars of Mithra, #3)

“She was a grown woman, capable of making her own decisions. She wasn't
stupid and she wasn't helpless.”
0 likes
“No, Bailey, you're not a coward, but you're constantly worried that you are. You're a champion
worrier. And a woman, I think, who gives herself very little credit for her strengths, and has very little
tolerance for her weaknesses. Self-judgmental.”
0 likes