Start by marking “True Love: Stories Told to and by Robert Fulgham: True Love: Stories Told to and by Robert Fulgham” as Want to Read:

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  987 ratings  ·  57 reviews
In his third book, Uh-Oh, Robert Fulghum shared some short and somewhat unconventional love stories from his own tales to tell, he would love to hear them. To his surprise, his mailbox was soon stuffed with thousands of real-life love stories sent to him by his devoted fans. He used his nationally syndicated newspaper column to solicit additional material and he also sat i ...more
Audio, Abridged, 0 pages
Published January 28th 1997 by HarperAudio (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about True Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True Love

Esther Warnke oakes
This is a wonderful collections of love stories, even though most of the stories told are not love stories in the common use of the phrase. It's a feel good book with anecdotes on every aspect of love.
Jess Driscoll
page 4: People sometimes said they had a story but needed to get permission from someone else before they could share it. One example was a middle-aged man in suit and tie, carrying the Wall Street Journal both times I met him. The second day he came back to give me a pale blue envelope--perfumed--the kind used for personal correspondence. He said, "Before you read this, you should know that I've had it for at least ten years, that it's from my wife, to whom I am still married." Inside the envel ...more
Rav
The collection of stories in this book is admirable, however I only enjoyed a few of the stories. Love is a topic very dear to me, and a lot of my life and ethics are based around the idea of romantic love, and I must admit, my personal values and biases unfortunately influenced my enjoyment of the book.

On the positives, it is a very easy book to read; light reading, with numerous happy stories of love. There is a good mixture of stories, ranging from childhood puppy love, to deep emotional con
Theresa ♫
May 03, 2012 Theresa ♫ rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fellow humans in search for a varied assortment of love stories
Yup, I read through all of these stories! I didn't skip a single one!

WHOOOOOOOO HOOOOO my first Robert Fulghum book! I've been wanting to read a book of his since I saw this huuuuge picture frame in my biology classroom.
It was the main article of "All I Really Needed To Know, I Learned In Kindergarten". MY FAVORITE ARTICLE EVER!

So anyway, this book...this book...this book...
Is pretty short.

It's made up of these short love stories (short meaning "2-4 pages long each") that have been sent to the a
Michael John
Eh... That pretty much sums this one up. The fact that money from the sales of this book go to Habitat for Humanity earned the book it's second star. Most of the stories were pretty forgettable. The one that stands out in my mind was about a student who tracked down the former owner of a used textbook and became friends with her. She was much older but in the end she said if they both had been the same age, they might have gotten married. You see, as I have gotten older, I have found that love i ...more
Jenny
Imagine PostSecret, but more than just a sentence, and without pictures.

Robert Fulghum invited people to tell him true love stories - not stories they'd read about, but stories they had experienced. He's compiled a group of them for this book. The stories are short - a page or three at most, and cover all different aspects of love... the beautiful and the painful.

It's a great book to pick up and set down - the stories taken all at once are a bit overwhelming. That being said, I read it in two
Tony
I'm changing my review! I decided to re-read three of Fulghum's books that I had not liked at first. This is one of them. 15 years later, I'm finding that I really missed the boat on this little gem. Unlike Fulghum's other books, this is a compilation of stories sent in by readers / fans of his previous books. These stories are short, true essays on everyday people's experience of love. Some are touching...some are heart-warming...some are heart-breaking and most put a smile on your face. I'm gl ...more
Amanda
One of the few authors who can truly write for any age. I love everything about this book, especially his method of collecting the stories. As with all of his books, it's something you can read starting in the middle, put down for a month, and come back to start somewhere completely different. And every bit that you read makes you feel more human and more content. I always feel like I have truly gotten "it," whatever it is, after reading Robert Fulghum.
Anthony
Having come out of my first real relationship, I've naturally gravitated towards anything love related. Experiencing love as I had in this relationship was like no other experience I've had before, and it's left me intrigued/enchanted/enamored with the feelings and concepts of love (both positive and painful). This book was the perfect choice for me given my mindset. Fulghum relates personal anecdotes from all sorts of strangers, from toddlers to seniors, about love in all of its manifestations. ...more
Jacqueline
Love this book still read it to this day. It opened my eyes to many forms of love. It also helped me to look for love is the strangest of places.
Meg
I reread these stories all the time. The romantic in me cannot get enough of this book.
Simone
A cute, funny collection of love stories told to the author, and an interesting look at the different ways people define love. I mostly just picked up the book because it contains one of my favorite quotes about love (which I've seen mistakenly attributed to Dr. Suess many, many times):

Jessica Raissa
Saya betul-betul menikmati kisah-kisah cinta yang dimuat didalam buku ini.

kisah cinta yang mengharukan, mendebarkan, unik, lucu dan bahkan sangat singkat benar-benar mengubah pandangan saya secara keseluruhan.

kisah-kisah yang disuguhkan didalam buku ini benar-benar membekas dalam hati saya. bagaimana saya bisa lupa cerita cinta mengharukan yang tumbuh diantara lansia dipanti jompo (salah satu favorit saya), atau kisah tentang seorang wanita yang merasakan perasaan bahagia saat melihat pria asin
Christie Bane
To get the stories for this book, this guy sat outside a coffeeshop with a sign that said he would buy people coffee if they would tell him their love stories. Then he took those stories and turned them into this book.

I have read a better collection of love stories than this one, though I can't remember the name of it. The thing I didn't like about this one was that about half of them seemed to be stories about what I would NOT consider true love. Things like, a crush on the woman who makes your
Brittany
This is a wonderful collection of short stories that Robert Fulghum has gathered, some told to him over a cup of coffee, some sent to him anonymously, all dealing with a type of love that’s been experienced. After reading this collection it's amazing to find how that one little word inspires different emotions amoung all who it touches and how they decode that feeling.

Love.

It evokes different reactions among people we know, among the strangers we pass on the street. While some of these stories
Lisa Kislingbury Anderson
Lovely stories about love with reflections by the editor. Put me in a great mood each time I picked it up.
Faith
There were a lot of stories that I wasn't crazy about, but it was a quick read, and there were enough good ones that it was worth it. (I definitely recommend the advice about only reading a few at a time.)
Elesa Hagberg
This book was still very Robert Fulghumy, but about about Love, and I really liked it. Best of all, at the end of the book they asked for more love stories to be submitted by readers to possibly be published in a sequel book, and I submitted one! I was 19, I think, and very much in love with some guy who didn't care two shakes about me. Ha! It makes me laugh whenever I think of it. What a funny memory for me.
T.
"My dearest Harry: I hate you, I hate you, I hate you. Respectfully, with all my love, Edna."

I bought this book when I was so much younger and impressionable. But the stories do stand the test of time, and youth, and idealism, and the world. Which is why this book matters, and why I will still read it, years from now, after I have been battered and bruised and got the shit kicked out of me by love.
Claudia Harrington
I wish I could give it 3 and 1/2 stars but I can so I gave 3. 4 would be to many for my own taste. But at the same time how do you rate other peoples experiences. This book has a bunch of "True Love stories" written or told by ral people some of them cute, some suprising and some very endearing. It very entretaining. If you like to read stories you'll like this book.
Danijel Brestovac
Iskrena ljubezen

str. 70- ljubezen se nikoli ne konča - vedno ostane nadaljevanje ali upanje nanj.

Str. 89- vsi smo malo čudni. In tudi življenje je malo čudno. In ko najdemo človeka, čigar čudaštvo je združljivo z našim, se mu pridružimo in zapademo v skupno čudaštvo, ki nas zadovoljuje - in to imenujemo ljubezen - iskrena ljubezen.
Pam
May 31, 2013 Pam rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is a slightly different road Mr. Fulghum took, but I enjoyed it! If I recall, he asked people to tell him a 'love story', then he would proceed to give us his thoughts and comments. Simple idea, but because of the author, it was just as priceless as his previous writings.

Dome ^O^
It's a collection of love stories from many people. There're wonderful, lovely stories in this books. This is the book you will love. Each story has its own charm and memory. You'll love this book like me,check it out!
Kattie
You'd be better off finding a chicken soup book on love stories...they're a little more consistent, though the project of finding some of the best love stories seemed like it was a good idea.
Tami
i read the large print version and with these disconnected pieces it was a little more challenging to enjoy the book as much. but right before my wedding this weekend, the perfect thing to read.
Kevin
This book is a good one to give to young kids getting married. My wife and I read it some time in the first year of our marriage, and it really helped get over some rocky spots.
Slow Symphony
sometimes i wonder if these stories were real ... especially the couple who married after 15 years after a random encounter that didn't last too long ...
Gina Kearney
This is one of my all-time favorite books! I read snippets of this book over and over again, whenever I want that warm fuzzy feeling. :)
Kelly
A lovely collection of love stories, with some of the best quotes I adore. This book is marvelous. A must have for my classroom library.
Yim Ch.
Dec 30, 2008 Yim Ch. is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
As in the book said, read this book slowly and dun go straight on through. Too much true love stories(of others) really do cause heartburn.
  • Long Life: Essays and Other Writings
  • Sesame Street Unpaved: Scripts, Stories, Secrets and Songs
  • The Science of Happiness: How Our Brains Make Us Happy-and What We Can Do to Get Happier
  • Bizarre Books
  • The Unitarian Universalist Pocket Guide
  • Roads: Driving America's Great Highways
  • Real Love: The Drawings for Sean
  • Hello, My Name Is Mommy: The Dysfunctional Girl's Guide to Having, Loving (and Hopefully Not Screwing Up) a Baby
  • Sherlock Holmes for Dummies
  • Celebration, U.S.A.: Living in Disney's Brave New Town
  • Riverwalking: Reflections on Moving Water
  • An Exaltation of Larks: The Ultimate Edition
  • Gardening for a Lifetime: How to Garden Wiser as You Grow Older
  • Cast Member Confidential: A Disneyfied Memoir
  • White Trash Cooking
  • Coming Apart: Why Relationships End and How to Live Through the Ending of Yours
  • The Art of Kissing
  • Green Chic: Saving the Earth in Style
19630
Robert Fulghum is an American author, primarily of short essays.

More about Robert Fulghum...
All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten It Was on Fire When I Lay Down on It Uh-oh - Some Observations From Both Sides Of The Refrigerator Door Maybe (Maybe Not): Second Thoughts from a Secret Life From Beginning to End

“We’re all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness—and call it love—true love.” 18690 likes
“We're all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness — and call it love — true love.” 1292 likes