Start by marking “The Academy: A Short Story (The Tracy Crosswhite Series)” as Want to Read:
The Academy: A Short Story (The Tracy Crosswhite Series)

The Academy: A Short Story (Tracy Crosswhite 0.2)

Driven by the disappearance of her sister, Tracy Crosswhite quits her job as a high school science teacher to join the Seattle Police Department. While most of her classmates and instructors at the academy want her to succeed, Detective Johnny Nolasco is hell-bent on keeping the boys’ club intact.

The training sessions offer plenty of opportunities for humiliation, but Tra
Published September 9th 2014 by Thomas & Mercer (first published January 1st 2014)

Stephanie
4 stars - great short prequel to Tracy Crosswhite series!

The Academy: A Short Story is a quick read that packs quite a punch. First prequel to the series, if reading in order! (I always attempt to do so, but stumbled a bit here...)

I am so glad that one of the wonderful members of the GoodReads community let me know about this one, when I posted a review of the other prequel to the Tracy Crosswhite series, Third Watch.

This short story focuses on the background of Tracy's time at the Academy -
Jean Coldwell
Aug 05, 2015 Jean Coldwell rated it really liked it
Sometimes a book just sort of “falls” into your hands – or however that happens these days with electronic readers. Anyway, that’s how I came to read Robert Dugoni’s The Academy. I have wanted to read Dugoni for quite a while now, and there was his short story, begging to be read. The Academy is the prequel to his novel, My Sister’s Grave, and now I can’t wait to read that.

Tracy Crosswhite is an accomplished high school chemistry teacher who quits her job to join the Seattle Police Department. T
Christine
Jul 23, 2015 Christine rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Christine by: Brenda/Lynn 5
Shelves: ebooks, novella
The Academy is a neat little short story written by Robert Dugoni as a prequel for his best-selling first entry in the Tracy Crosswhite series, My Sister’s Grave. The Academy takes us back to 1996 and introduces us to the protagonist, Tracy Crosswhite, as she applies for and enters the police academy. After reading this short story, my overall opinion can really be summed up in 4 words: I like Tracy Crosswhite. I like her a lot.

Tracy is not a mental mess. She does not carry a load of demons with
Sue
Jul 27, 2015 Sue rated it it was amazing
“The Academy” by Robert Dugoni, is a short story prequel to “My Sister’s Grave”. Here we get a great introduction to the character of Tracy Crosswhite, who leaves a job as chemistry teacher to apply for a job in law enforcement. In this short story we get to follow Tracy Crosswhite during her training at the police academy. I've already read My Sister's Grave, so I was familiar with the characters. A very involving read that provided more in depth character development, for preparation for ...more
Matt
Oct 21, 2015 Matt rated it really liked it
Dugoni offers a wonderful precursor to his new Tracy Crosswhite series. After suffering the worst experience of her life when her sister was murdered, Tracy Crosswhite sought solace in the classroom, teaching chemistry to high schoolers, where she had control of it all. Choosing to step out of her comfort zone, Crosswhite applies for the police academy, seeking to find justice for Sarah's murder. While the road is long and winding, Crosswhite is determined to make it through the nineteen-week ...more
Emma
Sep 30, 2015 Emma rated it it was amazing
As a short story, this is just right. I'm a sucker for two things: an intelligent and competent woman trying to make it in a man's world, and a 'find out who murdered my sister' storyline. This has both, and it promises more.

Thanks to Agnieszka, my October reading buddy, for suggesting this. It's FREE on the Kindle so get downloading if you want an enticing introduction to Dugoni's work.
Richard
Sep 26, 2016 Richard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Everything you could want in a short story that is a prequel to an increasing popular series.
Readers starting here, with no great commitment of time or resources will be compelled to read on to learn about Tracy's quest.
It is good to find a new author; especially one who is as assurred as Robert Dugoni, it allows you to immediately feel at home and relax into their work. Some writers are like brand new shoes at first; a little uncomfortable and left in them too long you may suffer some discomfor
Ariel
Jul 31, 2016 Ariel rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
A prequel to Robert Dugoni's Tracey Crosswhite series, The Academy: A Short Story introduces Crosswhite as she interviews for and attends the police academy. Tracey, a high school chemistry teacher from a small Washington State town, or - rather - her life, has become an activated complex. A collection of structures in a chemical reaction that maintain while bonds break and new ones form. Seemingly self-assured and straightforward, applying to the academy is a break from how she saw her life for ...more
Sherry Fundin
The Academy is a short story that shows the determination and fortitude in one woman’s story to serve a higher purpose.

After the disappearance of her sister, Tracy chose her mission in life, to become a police officer. Her ultimate goal was to be the first woman detective in homicide.

The need to have a woman on the Seattle police force opened a door her.

The Academy reads as if it is a true story of the good ol’ boy network in police departments all over the country. She held her own against the
Angela DeSilva
May 21, 2016 Angela DeSilva marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the series
Good introduction to the series. I am starting with book one right away, My Sister's Grave.
Brenda
Apr 12, 2015 Brenda rated it it was amazing
This is a short story prequel that entices me to read My Sister's Grave.
Lynn
Apr 16, 2015 Lynn rated it it was amazing
This book is a nice look into Tracey's life at the police academy. I really enjoyed this short story and recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good mystery. I am now looking forward to reading My Sister's Grave.
Chris Patchell
Sep 22, 2014 Chris Patchell rated it it was amazing
Strong female protagonist left me wanting to read more.
Gloria
Oct 28, 2016 Gloria rated it liked it
Colleen Giminiani
Dec 02, 2016 Colleen Giminiani rated it it was amazing
Loved reading the short breakdown of Tracy's days while at the police academy. This quick read sums up the instant clash between Tracy and Nolasco.
Brenda
Dec 05, 2016 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Good preview to the rest of the series

This is a very short story, but is a nice preview to the rest of the Tracy Crosswhite series. X
Shalawn
Nov 06, 2016 Shalawn rated it really liked it
Good Short Read

Really good short read. This was my first time reading one of his ebooks. Will definitely read the other books in this series.
Wendy
Nov 28, 2016 Wendy rated it it was amazing
A very short story of Tracy at the Academy. Gives you information on the relationship between her and Jenny. An easy, quick read.
Tania Pendarakis
Oct 10, 2016 Tania Pendarakis rated it did not like it
I have read another book in the Tracy Crosswhite series and enjoyed it very much. I intend to read additional books in the series. This short story, however, suggests a highly unlikely training scenario. Surely no professional law enforcement officer or trainer was consulted before this book was published. I actually went back to check the date that this book was published. 2014! Not only is it unlikely that the behavior would take place, but there is no freaking way that the behavior of the ...more
Aysis Palacios
Nov 14, 2016 Aysis Palacios rated it it was amazing
Love Tracy!

Love reading about Tracy and seeing her thought process. The author captures her so well. I truly enjoy these novels and short stories. Can't wait for the next ones!
Kasie
Oct 16, 2016 Kasie rated it really liked it
If you like the other books...

... you'll like this one. But don't start with this one. :) It won't mean nearly as much. At least that's what I think.
Dave
Oct 13, 2016 Dave rated it really liked it
A great story. Great character in Tracy Crosswhite. I've enjoyed the series immensely.
Melody Pospisil
Oct 08, 2016 Melody Pospisil rated it it was amazing
Good background

I have read some of the books in this series and wish I had read this first. The background would have been helpful. However each book is pretty good about being able to stand on its own
annemarie_bookaholic
Oct 09, 2016 annemarie_bookaholic rated it really liked it
Great short story...to add to the Tracy Crosswhite books
Natasha
Oct 05, 2016 Natasha rated it really liked it
Ok read

Interesting though short. Now I know how she made the force and how she beat Nolasco record at shooting. A
Terri
Oct 04, 2016 Terri rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this short story.

I enjoyed this short story as a prequel to My Sisters Grave. I cannot wait to get into this series!!!
Lacey
Sep 29, 2016 Lacey rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one. Good to see most of Tracy's supervisors are good people who can smell the bullshit Nolasco is sending out. Loved to see his come-up-ance!
Connie D
It was fun to read about Tracy's beginning experiences with the police, especially Nolasco.
Patricia
Oct 07, 2014 Patricia rated it it was amazing
The first sentence of this short story surely had me doing a drop-jawed double take and wondering just what I had chosen to read. After pulling my surprised eyebrows out of my hairline, I started on the second sentence. Forty-five minutes later, having finished the entire tale, I understood exactly why that first sentence was written in that manner and placed in that spot.

It’s 1996 and Washington State wants more female police officers in their ranks. Tracy Crosswhite, currently a high school ch
Frances
Sep 17, 2016 Frances rated it it was amazing
Love this series! Can't get enough!
  • Ultimate Fear (Ultimate CORE, #2)
  • Open Meetings (Jillian Hillcrest, #2)
  • The Awakening (Project Eve, 1)
  • Cancelled Vows (Mac Faraday Mystery, #11)
  • One Particular Harbour (Jake Sullivan Series, #5)
  • Yucatan Dead (Kate Jones Thriller, #6)
  • Shadow of the Oak (A Sal Van Sleen Adventure)
  • Body and Bone
  • Prime Target
  • Battle Not With Monsters
  • Taken
  • Deadly Dunes (Mac McClellan Mystery, #3)
  • We All Fall Down (Michael Kelly, #4)
  • Gone Wild (Thorn, #4)
  • Last Light (Beacon Falls #1)
  • Natalie's Revenge (Frank Renzi, #3)
  • A Bullet for Carlos
Robert Dugoni is the New York Times and #1 Amazon Bestselling Author of the Tracy Crosswhite series: My Sister's Grave, Bodily Harm, and In the Clearing, as well as the short prequels The Academy and Third Watch. The police procedural featuring Seattle Homicide Detective Tracy Crosswhite has kept Dugoni in the Amazon top 10 for more than two years. He is also the author of the legal thriller ...more
More about Robert Dugoni...

Tracy Crosswhite (4 books)
  • My Sister's Grave (Tracy Crosswhite, #1)
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite #4)