Start by marking “The Heart of Thoreau's Journals” as Want to Read:
The Heart of Thoreau's Journals

The Heart of Thoreau's Journals

The conflict between scientific observation and poetry, reflections on abolition, transcendental philosophy, other concerns are explored in this superb general selection from Thoreau's voluminous Journal. Here are "...the choicest fruits of Thoreau..." — Nation.
Published June 1st 1961 by Dover Publications (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about The Heart of Thoreau's Journals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart of Thoreau's Journals

Larry Hansen
Nov 20, 2014 Larry Hansen rated it really liked it
Shelves: american-lit, science
This book took me several months to read but was worth it. Thoreau jumps back and forth between observations about nature and comments about life, people, society, and politics in an impressive way that only someone free of the rat race could make.
Since reading his journal I have been much more conscious of nature and simple changes and sightings are now interesting, and even fascinating.
Warning: Definitely doesn't read like a novel and doesn't flow like Walden, but it is worth the effort if you
Josh
Feb 18, 2008 Josh rated it really liked it
Thoreau is his usual ornery/visionary self in these journals: always complaining about something. Interesting to think of the different 19th century "journal styles": Thoreau seems closer to Emerson, for example, than the Englishman Francis Kilvert, though all three of their notebooks are similarly obsessed with nature.

Nature for Americans is something to hang your hat on, and that's what so hilarious to me about this book. Here's Thoreau, proto-hippie, inventor of American wilderness, and he t
Emily
Aug 27, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature
Leaves out the naturalists' observations, if which I would have liked a few examples included (but they are easy enough to find online). Some surprisingly heartbreaking passages on broken friendships as he got older. I skimmed thru some of this as I was mostly grabbing excerpts for an assignment, but kept getting caught up and reading bits unrelated to my project, so I guess that means it's pretty good.
michael
Sep 15, 2008 michael rated it really liked it
The blurb says his journals are regarded as his best work. I think that's unfair to Walden. I say read Walden - his great great book - so much more than you expect and so much more independent and rebellious than society's idea of Thoreau would suggest; for more - read the journals.
Heather Garcia Queen
Dec 23, 2008 Heather Garcia Queen rated it it was amazing
I read this book in college, with a professor who has studied Thoreau's work for years. What an incredible experience-- reading it with him but also the piece itself!
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2009
Cynthia Fisher
Cynthia Fisher rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2013
Tompall
Tompall rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2008
John Elvin
John Elvin rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2014
Conor
Conor rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Crystal
Crystal rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2013
Tom Mc
Tom Mc rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Brickrhetoric
Brickrhetoric rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2013
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
May 08, 2008
Christin
Christin rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2013
Joe Ward
Joe Ward rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2015
Brad
Brad rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2015
Kent
Kent rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2012
Richard
Apr 02, 2013 Richard rated it it was amazing
I learned so much about Thoreau from reading this book.
Bebop2
Bebop2 rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2009
Susan Hansson
Susan Hansson rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2012
Spencer
Spencer rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Joshua
Joshua rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2013
Shane
Shane rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
Tiffo Chen
Tiffo Chen rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2015
Landon Loftin
Landon Loftin rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Simplysharon9
Simplysharon9 rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2011
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
May 18, 2016
Jennifer rated it really liked it
May 09, 2013
Marian
Marian rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Henry Thoreau: A Life of the Mind
  • Dr. Bob and the Good Oldtimers: A Biography, with Recollections of Early A.A. in the Midwest
  • Gene Kelly: A Life of Dance and Dreams
  • Letters from Women Who Love Too Much: A Closer Look at Relationship Addiction and Recovery
  • Nothing: Something to Believe in
  • Climbing Anchors
  • The Heart of Tantric Sex
  • Treatise on the Gods
  • Tom Brown's Field Guide to Nature Observation and Tracking
  • Technological Slavery: The collected writings of Theodore J. Kaczynski, a.k.a. "The Unabomber"
  • The Crofter and the Laird: Life on an Hebridean Island
  • Why Religion Matters: The Fate of the Human Spirit in an Age of Disbelief
  • Africa in My Blood: An Autobiography in Letters
  • My Name Is Bill: Bill Wilson--His Life and the Creation of Alcoholics Anonymous
  • From Beginning to End
  • Thinking It Through: An Introduction to Contemporary Philosophy
  • Neither Wolf nor Dog: On Forgotten Roads with an Indian Elder
  • Runes of the North
Henry David Thoreau (born David Henry Thoreau)was an American author, naturalist, transcendentalist, tax resister, development critic, philosopher, and abolitionist who is best known for Walden, a reflection upon simple living in natural surroundings, and his essay, Civil Disobedience, an argument for individual resistance to civil government in moral opposition to an unjust state.

Thoreau's books,
More about Henry David Thoreau...

“As the least drop of wine tinges the whole goblet, so the least particle of truth colors our whole life. It is never isolated, or simply added as treasure to our stock. When any real progress is made, we unlearn and learn anew what we thought we knew before.” 7 likes