Start by marking “Blood Sports” as Want to Read:
Blood Sports

Blood Sports

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  17 reviews
This eagerly anticipated new novel is Eden Robinson’s most satisfying, disturbing, and addictive to date.

A new novel from one of our best young writers, Blood Sports is the tough, gritty story of the brutal cat-and-mouse relationship between two cousins — Tom and Jeremy Bauer — set in Vancouver’s Downtown East Side.

Tom, a young man, hardly innocent, has been caught up over
Published February 20th 2007 by Emblem Editions (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Sports, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Sports

Monkey Beach by Eden RobinsonThree Day Road by Joseph BoydenThrough Black Spruce by Joseph BoydenThe Orenda by Joseph BoydenGreen Grass, Running Water by Thomas King
Best Canadian Aboriginal Fiction
11th out of 36 books — 21 voters
The Book of Basketball by Bill SimmonsSports by Kenneth GoldsmithGame of Shadows by Mark Fainaru-WadaBlood Sport by Tim ElfrinkEarl The Pearl by Earl Monroe
Top Sports Books
11th out of 15 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Lucinda
This book is about as gritty as they come. It tells a rather convoluted story - largely owing to Robinson's decision to dispense with chronology for the sake of building suspense - of a couple trying to cut out the rot of their pasts after getting off drugs and cleaning up their acts. When you surrounded yourself with psychopathic drug-dealers and their thuggish 'friends', well, it is not so easy to start anew. Especially when the psychopathic drug-dealer is your cousin and, at times, showed you ...more
Jeanne
First book I’ve read by Eden Robinson. Very unusual in its format, jumping from present to past to much further past, mixing narrative, letters, and video transcripts. Very gritty story about Tom, his controlling and vicious cousin Jeremy, and Paulie (former junkie, Tom’s current girlfriend and mother of his child, who had been involved with Jeremy in the past). Set in the tough East Side of Vancouver, it is a violent world of drugs, extortion, prostitutes, and torture. Not for the faint of hear ...more
Kate
Read this for my Canadian Literature seminar in undergrad and I loved. I loved the different mediums of telling the story, I loved the characters, I found the subject matter engaging. Also, as a horror film fanatic, I loved the references all the way through.

I said it in my review of traplines and I'll say it again: Jeremy Reiger is the most effed up character ever. He's only present in this book in flashbacks for the most part and he is still just everywhere, watching everything. I'm getting ch
Rueben
this book is brutal. the letter in the beginning is awesome, great premis and set up. i don't know about the camcorder narration, it seemed like a screen play or something, it got annoying. i liked reading about the toddler.
the whole novel was fierce. the characters reminded me of my family. terrifying. i kept expecting the intensity to decrease at some point in the story but it didn't... it just gets worse and worse. gnarly.
Ashley
I have to be honest, crime thrillers aren't my usual genre. I have a weak stomach, what can I say. No matter how well written a novel is I'll find myself skipping over parts of it I find too gruesome; it's the same reason I don't watch horror movies. I generally stick to contemporary for a reason. That having been said, every once in awhile I find myself picking up a crime novel, a novel that describes itself as gritty, and giving it a shot. I have yet to fall in love with one of these books, Bl ...more
Crystal
I read Eden Robinson's other novel, Monkey Beach, and so I was really drawn to read her other novels. This one was much, much different. I liked the story, characters, and setting, but I did not like how it was written. It's strange because part of why I loved Monkey Beach was because of the writing style. Blood Sports jumps from letters, films, regular novel writing, and it doesn't follow a chronological flow. Everything is all mixed up and I found it really difficult to navigate through the no ...more
Jesse
I wanted to like Blood Sports so very much. Robinson's "Monkey Beach" had been on my favourite books of all time booklist for sometime and I had highly anticipated the release her latest book. I knew that it would be different. The setting of the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver is not exactly the same as a small town on the coast where talking Ravens are just par for the course.

Blood Sports is a dark novel, about a person facing some pretty fucked up shit. So murder mysteries aren't really my th
Lester
Oh man..what a story of disturbing proportion! Vancouver East Side is like a very small country..everything in human life happens there..and we never really know or are willing to admit the most painful things that go on in all walks of life. Eden Robinson is an excellent story teller. One day I hope to see and hear her in person.
Thank you.
Vivienne
Apr 30, 2009 Vivienne rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: PNW'ers - not sure it will translate well to others
After a choppy disjointed start caused by the author's writing and my own preconceptions ("Downtown East Van" = Serial Killer = not what this book is about) this book was fascinating. The narrative swung from brilliantly rendered snatches of real life as told by a hard working, smart, poor, young father protagonist, to "what the hell?" moments where every other character in the book is the antagonist. Very dark but also uplifting.

I was sucked in the by this dynamic story which, unfortunately I
Orenda
Overall - it's OK. The changing styles made it interesting, but I just couldn't understand WHY time was so dynamic. One minute it's the present, the next it's the past. Occasionally I think it was he future. Anyway, the ending sucked. Not because it was unfinished. That I could handle. But it was predictable. And I wasn't expecting that in this book.

The content was dark, which I wanted. It was gritty. Which I wanted. But I don't think this was a Home run for her. Maybe traplines will be better.
Danya
This was a gripping (but very disturbing) read.
Susan Armstrong
This book is not for the faint of heart. But it had me in its grip till the end. I was tense throughout, and although not a book one relaxes with, I loved it. It is painful, but real, it reveals life experiences for some that most don't want to acknowledge. Some excellent writing by Eden.
Geoff
Not half as good as Monkey Beach. Kind of all over the place. Confusing, ugly and dark. The raw energy is fun, but all of that heart and style could stand to profit from restraint and an editor.
Louise
I LOVED Traplines and I LOVED Monkey Beach, but I did not like Blood Sports at all. What was a great story in Traplines, become overly long, boring, and unlikely in Blood Sports.
Hanna
Brilliant author. I highly recommend this book.
sara
this book frightened me.
a lot.
Lorna
Too gritty for me.
A Yao
A Yao marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Lela
Lela marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Judith
Judith marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
B.
B. marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Victoria Law
Victoria Law marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
  • This All Happened
  • The Angel Riots
  • Finnie Walsh
  • Bottle Rocket Hearts
  • Darkest Light (Half World, #2)
Eden Victoria Lena Robinson (born 19 January 1968) is a Canadian novelist and short story writer.

Born in Kitamaat, British Columbia, she is a member of the Haisla and Heiltsuk First Nations. She was educated at the University of Victoria and the University of British Columbia.

More about Eden Robinson...
Monkey Beach Traplines Sasquatch at Home: Traditional Protocols & Modern Storytelling Terminal Avenue So Long Been Dreaming: Postcolonial Science Fiction and Fantasy