Start by marking “The House of the Wolfings” as Want to Read:
The House of the Wolfings

The House of the Wolfings

The story of how the Wolfings fight, and eventually destroy, the invading Roman legions. Newly designed and typeset in a modern 6-by-9-inch format by Waking Lion Press.
Published July 30th 2008 by Waking Lion Press (first published December 1st 1888)

To ask other readers questions about The House of the Wolfings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House of the Wolfings

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollThe Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank BaumDracula by Bram StokerPeter Pan by J.M. BarrieThe King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany
Pre-Tolkien Fantasy
87th out of 221 books — 208 voters
The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. TolkienThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeA Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le GuinWatership Down by Richard Adams
Best Literary Fantasy Novels
75th out of 96 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Mel
This is a moving tale about the Goths fighting off a Roman invasion. There was prophecy and doomed romance and heroic acts of self sacrifice. The characterisation was a little light, but I still felt for everyone at the end. There were strong women characters who were full of wisdom and spirit who took an active role in defending their homes even though it was just the men who went to battle. There were hints of fantasy with dwarfs who hated mankind and people who were not quite human. It was a ...more
Eric
Nov 27, 2016 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably more of a 4.5 for me. I loved it. The elements that influenced Tolkien are clear, but the story stands up on its own. The poetry and song craft is uneven, but that didn't take away from my overall enjoyment of the storytelling.
Lydia
Jan 02, 2013 Lydia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is honestly very straight forward, the Wolfings and the Kindreds of the Mark are defending their homeland from the invading Romans. But then come the human interactions and the wiles of life that add depth and heart to an otherwise straight forward story. Perhaps the most interesting question the story ponders, is could you fight for your kindred knowing you would die, or could you send the one you love the most into battle knowing he would die? And what would you do to prevent it?

One

Stan
Jan 15, 2015 Stan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like many others I read this book after learning it was one of the works that influenced Tolkien. And, the influence can clearly be seen.

One obvious connection is that Morris' forest is Mirkwood. I found it interesting that Morris actually uses the term mid-earth once. And, three of four of Morris' charaters have names which are similar to names Tolkien used in The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings.

So, from that standpoint alone, The House of the Wolfings is very interesting.

The House of the Wolfi
Curtis
Oct 21, 2014 Curtis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, novel, mythgard
William Morris discovered the most tedious way to tell a story, and he demonstrated his discovery in "A Tale of the House of the Wolfings." I find it hard to believe that he was once offered the office of Poet Laureate of Great Britain and Ireland, upon the death of Lord Tennyson, given how poor the meter and rhyme of his verse in this book is — perhaps the council which presented it to him did so in jest. I applaud Morris for turning it down on the pretense of political differences rather than ...more
Cynthia
Jan 06, 2016 Cynthia rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I was happy to find this tale and others that are forerunners of Tolkien's novels. The beginnings of Rohan are here, in language that is similar to Tolkien's, if not as satisfying. Unlike the Rohirrim, they have a clear picture of the afterlife of warriors, namely the feasting hall of the gods depicted in the Norse legends. All things are done for the benefit of the whole of the House, or the people, and death is not feared, just accepted as part of a larger whole. The supernatural has a place, ...more
Fer
Sep 24, 2013 Fer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Umha leitura longa e complexa, nalgumhas ocasions bocado árida. Tenho que admitir que os cantos épicos no médio da narrativa enajenavam-me muito da história. Porém o livro no seu contexto representa o primeiro agromo da literatura fantástica que daria lugar a peças como o Senhor dos Anéis, e esses traços iniciáticos som claramente visíveis. O texto caminha entre as beiras das sagas mitológicas autênticas e esse começo de literatura fantástica. Também é destacável como essa aridez geral do texto ...more
Nathan Shumate
Jun 06, 2014 Nathan Shumate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An almost forgotten book of historical fantasy from 1888 (free on Gutenberg.org), of a Gothic tribe defending themselves against Roman invasion. Both influential on Tolkien and drawing from common sources with him (you can see a definite kinship with Rohan, plus place names such as "Mirkwood"). The text is lyrical in the true sense of "meant to be read or recited aloud," with large sections of dialogue rendered in verse. Highly recommended.
Shala Howell
Feb 06, 2008 Shala Howell rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldnt_finish
I picked this up because I read somewhere that Morris inspired Tolkien, invented the Celtic fantasy, etc. etc. Seemed important. Sadly it is written in a faux-epic style that I'm willing to put up with when reading, say, Beowulf, but it remains to be seen whether I can stomach this just for the sake of reading an author reputed to have inspired Tolkien. Right now it seems to me most likely that he inspired Tolkien in the sense that Tolkien read Morris and said, "Hey I can do this MUCH better!"
Luke Sineath
Oct 01, 2014 Luke Sineath rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 19th-century
Hard to review. I read this because of Morris' massive influence on Tolkien, and while it was ok, his writing, at least in this book, does not come close to Tolkien's greatness. I enjoyed the archaic language, yet his world did not feel persistent nor realised with any great depth. There was but a patina of otherworldliness and faerie, but no abiding substance; and at times the language felt off. Great reading for historical interest in the development of a genre, but not satisfying in itself.
Joseph Raborg
Great Immersion into the Viking Age

I heartily recommend this work to all who love sagas and the Viking age. Few writers convey the feel of a saga to the extent as William Morris does here. At points the story is slow, but the book has some wonderful poetry and thrilling battles. Be sure to have a dictionary by your side to decipher some of the more poetic words.
Aaron Meyer
Nov 18, 2010 Aaron Meyer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
An idealized account of the lives of the Germanic Gothic tribes. It is very engrossing if you can get yourself into the flow of the story, very poetic. I really enjoyed it but I feel that many today would find it rather out of fashion or to romanticly inclined in vision. I would say, though, give it a chance for a few chapters if you are not hooked by then you never will be.
Kevin
May 27, 2011 Kevin rated it did not like it
Very disappointed. Put it down a third of the way through. The verse bits are just unbearably plodding. You know a book has failed you (or you it, I suppose) when you give up in the middle of a battle scene. *yawn*
Ron Gray
Jun 17, 2011 Ron Gray rated it really liked it
The language is thick... too thick... WAY too thick. It's written in Ye Olde Story-Telling style. "Dost thou wouldst wherewithal and thine wain sheep..." yugh.

Anyway, despite all that, it's a good story and worth the trouble if you can stomach it.
Jake Yaniak
May 04, 2015 Jake Yaniak rated it really liked it
Not for small kids, this interesting fantasy recounts the battles between the 'Markmen' - primarily those of the House of the Wolfings - and the Romans. The author does an excellent job crafting the setting. All the dialogue is in verse, but it is not clumsy or forced. Truly impressive.
Tabitha Ormiston-Smith
Aug 30, 2011 Tabitha Ormiston-Smith rated it did not like it
I can't really say much about this book, because I found it very boring and only managed to finish it with the aid of OCD. I could have told the story so much better in a haiku:

Romans invaded
House of Wolfings fought and won
But their War Chief died.

That is literally the whole story.
Randy
Aug 31, 2013 Randy rated it really liked it
I started reading Ivanhoe and was put off by the archaic language. This book is more readable, and directly connected to the modern fantasy genre. It was quite good.
Patrick
Dec 30, 2015 Patrick rated it really liked it
Great story. For all of the complaints, the verse dialogue really worked for me. The battle scenes aren't quite as exciting as some other fantasy works, but overall I really liked it.
Don Standing
I found this more interesting than enjoyable: the language was beautiful but occassionally too dense for me.
Seth
Seth rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2016
Dr. Andrew Higgins
Dr. Andrew Higgins rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2011
Kristi Israel
Kristi Israel rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2014
Bob
Bob rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2011
Samuel
Samuel rated it really liked it
May 08, 2016
Brett B
Brett B rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2016
Mike Furious
Jan 13, 2016 Mike Furious rated it liked it
More fantasy than anything.
Rory
Rory rated it it was ok
Apr 25, 2012
Lucienne Boyce
Lucienne Boyce rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2012
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Aaron Masters
Aaron Masters rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Book of Wonder
  • Swords Against Darkness (Swords Against Darkness, #1)
  • Diana of the Crossways
  • Wagner the Werewolf
  • Cranford & Selected Short Stories
  • The Lancashire Witches
  • The Marvellous Land of Snergs
  • Looking for the King (Inklings, #1)
  • Tales Before Narnia: The Roots of Modern Fantasy and Science Fiction
  • The Worm Ouroboros
William Morris was an English architect, furniture and textile designer, artist, writer, socialist and Marxist associated with the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood and the English Arts and Crafts Movement. Morris wrote and published poetry, fiction, and translations of ancient and medieval texts throughout his life. His best-known works include The Defence of Guenevere and Other Poems (1858), The Earthl ...more
More about William Morris...

“Whiles in the early Winter eve
We pass amid the gathering night
Some homestead that we had to leave
Years past; and see its candles bright
Shine in the room beside the door
Where we were merry years agone
But now must never enter more,
As still the dark road drives us on.
E'en so the world of men may turn
At even of some hurried day
And see the ancient glimmer burn
Across the waste that hath no way;
Then with that faint light in its eyes
A while I bid it linger near
And nurse in wavering memories
The bitter-sweet of days that were.”
9 likes