Start by marking “No Talking After Lights” as Want to Read:
No Talking After Lights

No Talking After Lights

Long light evenings, swimming and tennis, striped cotton frocks . . . it's summer term at Raeburn. New arrival Constance King hates her boarding school on sight, yet dreams of being accepted by the other girls. Instead, she finds a ferment of frustrated hopes mingled with excited expectations . . .
Published 1991 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about No Talking After Lights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Talking After Lights

Aug 20, 2012 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not normally the type of book I pick up but I was on holiday and had just finished the book I was reading and needed another and this was one of four left in the gite in which I was staying. The other three were much too "chick-lit" for me. It was a very easy fun read and adequate enough for a holiday read but I didn't get a great deal of satisfaction at the end.

The story focuses on a new girl starting at a boarding school in the 1950s plus some focus on the personal lives of the teachers.

I don
Hannah
Jan 12, 2008 Hannah rated it really liked it
This book was a random find in my local library when i was a teenager. It's a grown-up take on the girls' boarding-school story, concentrating on a single term at Raeburn in 1952, where Constance King is the 'new girl'. Having been sent away while her parents go to work abroad, she hates the school on sight and longs to run away, but soon becomes embroiled in mysterious events there. The story deals with the common points of the girls' school story - prep, midnight feasts, bullying and ...more
Angie Swain
Oct 01, 2012 Angie Swain rated it really liked it
A bitter sweet tale of boarding school life in the 1950's.
Constance King is enrolled at Raeburn - which she loathes on sight. Her father has been seconded to Kenya, she must remain in England for her education. She finds it difficult to be accepted by the other girls and has to learn to negotiate her way through the rituals of boarding school life and her new teachers, all the while feeling betrayed by her parents.
It is an intelligent, sensitive tale, very accurate to the period - having been e
Katie Heron
Jun 02, 2013 Katie Heron rated it liked it
Great book, terrible ending. I have read other books featuring Constance and am very fond of her. I enjoyed finding out about her early life.
Marilyn
May 30, 2015 Marilyn rated it it was ok
I found most of this book more suited to teenagers but with a quite macabre strain running through it, and the ending really weak.
Undreya
Undreya rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2012
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2011
Janine
Janine rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2011
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2009
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2009
Romany
Romany rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2011
Paula Dembeck
Paula Dembeck rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2015
Clare Hollowell
Clare Hollowell rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Jo Chambers
Jo Chambers rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2015
Allison
Allison rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2012
Jule
Jule rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2012
Jenn.
Jenn. rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2011
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2014
Lisa Wheatley
Lisa Wheatley rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2013
Sai Krishnakumar
Sai Krishnakumar rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2015
Sheetal D
Sheetal D rated it liked it
May 29, 2015
Gill
Gill rated it it was ok
Oct 10, 2012
Becca
Becca rated it it was ok
Oct 30, 2015
trishtrash
trishtrash rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2009
Rebecca Le quesne
Rebecca Le quesne rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2012
Maia
Maia rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2008
Sue Wright
Sue Wright rated it it was ok
Aug 07, 2013
Angela Maria Helps was born on 14 April 1940, to a English civil servant and a German-born housewife. She wanted to be a writer from childhood. She read politics, philosophy and economics at Oxford. In 1962, she married Martin Lambert, they had a son a daughter, but the union ended five years later, when he left her with two young children to support. She also had other daughter with the ...more
More about Angela Lambert...