Start by marking “Tucker Peak (Joe Gunther #12)” as Want to Read:
Tucker Peak (Joe Gunther #12)

Tucker Peak (Joe Gunther #12)

The tony ski town of Tucker Peak, Vermont is experiencing a rash of condo burglaries. Normally this wouldn't be a case for Joe Gunther and the newly-formed VBI, but when high-profile people have their high-value possessions stolen, names get dropped and strings get pulled. Turns out it's just as well they called in Joe, since once they begin investigating the case suddenly ...more
Published September 1st 2002 by Warner Books (NY) (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Tucker Peak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tucker Peak

Yvonne (It's All About Books)
brtuckerpeak
Finished reading: January ? 2015
Rating 3

"Cat's out of the bag. You nail this bastard or I'll make you sorry you didn't."

(view spoiler)
Maddy
Dec 26, 2015 Maddy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
PROTAGONIST: Lieut. Joe Gunther
SETTING: Vermont
SERIES: #12 of 25
RATING: 3.75
WHY: There's been a string of burglaries in the Tucker Peak ski resort area. The resort itself is under siege by a group of environmentalists, and the financial picture is bleak. VBI (Vermont Bureau of Investigation steps in to help the local authorities. Joe and colleague Sammie go undercover at the resort. I thought this was overkill based on the alleged crimes. As always, Mayor does a great job with setting, character
Andrew
Mar 15, 2013 Andrew rated it liked it
first of all, the fact that i gave 3 stars to this compared to 4 for some of mayor's books doesn't mean i didn't like it...now i've been wanting to write about mayor for a while now not just because he comes from the same state i live in, vermont, but because his books are so sharp and suspenseful.. like ed mcbain's wonderful 42nd precint novels, mayor's joe gunther books use the same characters centrally to the story in each one....the police procedural thus emerges. Those of us that aren't fas ...more
Rebecca Boehringer
Another good story from Archer Mayor. I like the Joe Gunther series because it is well written, the stories a plausible and the characters are believable.
LJ
Tucker Peak - Good
Archer Mayor - 12th in series
Now the agent-in-charge in Brattleboro for the newly formed (and fictitious) Vermont Bureau of Investigation, Gunther looks into a string of condo burglaries at Tucker Peak, a local ski resort. In tracing a stolen watch to Marty Gagnon, an elusive small-time thief, Gunther's detectives discover someone else is looking for Gagnon, too, threatening and killing his friends. To find the connection between Gagnon and troubled Tucker Peak, Gunther and VBI
Ed
Dec 13, 2014 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: law-enforcement
#12 in the Joe Gunther series. Joe heads a four person team for the VBI (Vermont Bureau of Investigation), an organization that gets involved in crime investigation only if they are requested by the police department of the appropriate jurisdiction. This allows the venue for series entries to vary widely. This series is known for having a well deserved 'sense of place' and the flavor of VT comes through in each book.

Joe Gunther and the VBI are requested to look into some felony burglaries at the
michelle schumacher
Love this series

I am going through them so quickly because they are great books. I enjoy the characters and d e development and change in relationships. It gives a great flavor to the series. Like the freshness of the stories and not staying in Brattleboro has also helped to keep me reading more and more of these people. Keeping each story separate but keeping the characters makes me like the books. I did like Tony Brandt though and feel he should be in these books now as well.
Ned
Dec 03, 2012 Ned rated it really liked it
This is one of the Joe Gunther series that I've actually read before and I must say, I liked it better the second time, probably because I now have a good feel for the characters in particular Willy Kunkle, who's quickly becoming my favorite character in the series. Unlike many of the other settings of the Archer Mayor Vermont books, this one is vague, but I still found myself envisioning Bromley!
Dennis Fischman
Archer Mayor is always good with character and setting, and over the course of this series, minor characters like Willy Kunkle and Sammie Martens have started to stand out on their own. The problem, for me, is that one book will focus on human frailty and the economic conditions that bring it to the fore, and I will love that book--and then the next one (like Tucker Peak) will turn into a series of shoot-em-ups and chase scenes in the snow.
Nfloodtularosa.net
A nice selection of villains in this book

A nice selection of villains in this book from embezzlers to thieves to mobsters that take you on a spin through Vermont. All our favorite characters are back. No slow spots where the plot drags in this one - just a nice steady build up until all the loose ends are neatly tied. .
Rose Zamy
Apr 16, 2015 Rose Zamy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very ejjoable. . . I think I will read more of these. Though I really prefer less violence (expecting that in a murder myster is a tad sill, I will admit), more like cozies.

But I like the protagonist.
E
Oct 21, 2015 E rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, another good Joe Gunther mystery! I like the setting in Vermont and all the main characters. Joe's position with the Vermont Bureau of Investigation is adding some new twists to the stories. Ready to read #13.
Bob
May 10, 2010 Bob added it
A Joe Gunther novel, with many of the elements in any Gunther novel. The usual characters appear; the setting is a fictional ski resort in Southern Vermont. Mayor pretty much nails the ski resort environment, with a twist, burglaries and murder.
Anne
Jul 10, 2015 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
Archer Mayor provides another reliably good police mystery. This one is set in the Vermont ski industry and the industry details are interesting, especially if you are a skier. The plot is good, and his characters are always enjoyable. As always, Vermont is really the star of this show.
Brandy
Mar 29, 2008 Brandy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really slow. I got this for one of the boys at work and now I know why he never finished it. The story was good. I do enjoy a good murder case but this lost me sometimes because it just didn't move fast enough to hold my attention.
Maureen
Jan 10, 2017 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read..always enjoy Joe Guenther and the vbi working in Vermont.
Steve
Aug 04, 2014 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, but not the best Joe Gunther by any means. A little slow.
Steve Clark
Mar 04, 2013 Steve Clark rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Who knew there could be so much crime at a small Vermont ski resort?
Linda Scott
Really like this series!
Liz
Dec 01, 2014 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good fun read, decent mystery. The second in the Gunther series that I've read. Not as good as the prior book, but good enough I'll keep reading the series.
Terry Langlois
Mar 06, 2013 Terry Langlois rated it it was amazing
another great episode for Joe Gunther.... This would make a great series...

Mayor out does him self, over and over and over again.
Winifred
Aug 14, 2012 Winifred rated it really liked it
All Archer Mayor's Joe Gunther series mystery books are page turners. As soon as I finished one I began another.
Wil
May 12, 2010 Wil rated it liked it
another in a great series: the joe gunther mysteries. a liitle more action in this one.
Jon
Jon rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2010
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2017
Sam
Sam rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2014
Lise
Lise rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2008
Robert Rose
Robert Rose rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
Nina
Nina rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2007
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2013
  • Blunt Darts (John Francis Cuddy, #1)
  • Quoth the Raven (Gregor Demarkian, #4)
  • Games to Keep the Dark Away
  • The Shortest Day: Murder at the Revels (Homer Kelly, #11)
  • London After Midnight : A Tour of its Criminal Haunts
  • No Good Deed (Sonora Blair, #3)
  • Death on the Nevskii Prospekt (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #6)
  • Death by the Book (Jack Susko, #1)
  • Karma (Jill Smith, #1)