Start by marking “Tucker Peak (Joe Gunther #12)” as Want to Read:
Tucker Peak (Joe Gunther #12)

Tucker Peak (Joe Gunther #12)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  299 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The tony ski town of Tucker Peak, Vermont is experiencing a rash of condo burglaries. Normally this wouldn't be a case for Joe Gunther and the newly-formed VBI, but when high-profile people have their high-value possessions stolen, names get dropped and strings get pulled. Turns out it's just as well they called in Joe, since once they begin investigating the case suddenly ...more
Published September 1st 2002 by Warner Books (NY) (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Tucker Peak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tucker Peak

Yvonne
brtuckerpeak
Finished reading: January ? 2015
Rating 3

"Cat's out of the bag. You nail this bastard or I'll make you sorry you didn't."

(view spoiler)
Ed
#12 in the Joe Gunther series. Joe heads a four person team for the VBI (Vermont Bureau of Investigation), an organization that gets involved in crime investigation only if they are requested by the police department of the appropriate jurisdiction. This allows the venue for series entries to vary widely. This series is known for having a well deserved 'sense of place' and the flavor of VT comes through in each book.

Joe Gunther and the VBI are requested to look into some felony burglaries at the
michelle schumacher
Love this series

I am going through them so quickly because they are great books. I enjoy the characters and d e development and change in relationships. It gives a great flavor to the series. Like the freshness of the stories and not staying in Brattleboro has also helped to keep me reading more and more of these people. Keeping each story separate but keeping the characters makes me like the books. I did like Tony Brandt though and feel he should be in these books now as well.
Andrew
first of all, the fact that i gave 3 stars to this compared to 4 for some of mayor's books doesn't mean i didn't like it...now i've been wanting to write about mayor for a while now not just because he comes from the same state i live in, vermont, but because his books are so sharp and suspenseful.. like ed mcbain's wonderful 42nd precint novels, mayor's joe gunther books use the same characters centrally to the story in each one....the police procedural thus emerges. Those of us that aren't fas ...more
LJ
Tucker Peak - Good
Archer Mayor - 12th in series
Now the agent-in-charge in Brattleboro for the newly formed (and fictitious) Vermont Bureau of Investigation, Gunther looks into a string of condo burglaries at Tucker Peak, a local ski resort. In tracing a stolen watch to Marty Gagnon, an elusive small-time thief, Gunther's detectives discover someone else is looking for Gagnon, too, threatening and killing his friends. To find the connection between Gagnon and troubled Tucker Peak, Gunther and VBI
Anne
Archer Mayor provides another reliably good police mystery. This one is set in the Vermont ski industry and the industry details are interesting, especially if you are a skier. The plot is good, and his characters are always enjoyable. As always, Vermont is really the star of this show.
Rose Zamy
Very ejjoable. . . I think I will read more of these. Though I really prefer less violence (expecting that in a murder myster is a tad sill, I will admit), more like cozies.

But I like the protagonist.
Ned
This is one of the Joe Gunther series that I've actually read before and I must say, I liked it better the second time, probably because I now have a good feel for the characters in particular Willy Kunkle, who's quickly becoming my favorite character in the series. Unlike many of the other settings of the Archer Mayor Vermont books, this one is vague, but I still found myself envisioning Bromley!
Steve
Good, but not the best Joe Gunther by any means. A little slow.
Bob
Jun 01, 2010 Bob added it
A Joe Gunther novel, with many of the elements in any Gunther novel. The usual characters appear; the setting is a fictional ski resort in Southern Vermont. Mayor pretty much nails the ski resort environment, with a twist, burglaries and murder.
Brandy
Really slow. I got this for one of the boys at work and now I know why he never finished it. The story was good. I do enjoy a good murder case but this lost me sometimes because it just didn't move fast enough to hold my attention.
Liz Wright
A good fun read, decent mystery. The second in the Gunther series that I've read. Not as good as the prior book, but good enough I'll keep reading the series.
Terry Langlois
another great episode for Joe Gunther.... This would make a great series...

Mayor out does him self, over and over and over again.
Winifred
All Archer Mayor's Joe Gunther series mystery books are page turners. As soon as I finished one I began another.
Wil
another in a great series: the joe gunther mysteries. a liitle more action in this one.
Tessa
Tessa marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Joe
Joe is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2015
Gail
Gail added it
Jun 20, 2015
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
  • Games to Keep the Dark Away
  • Karma (Jill Smith, #1)
  • Lost Stories
  • Divine Inspiration (Homer Kelly, #10)
  • Zero Break
  • Happy Are the Clean of Heart (Blackie Ryan, #2)
  • The Moonstone and The Woman in White
  • Death on the Nevskii Prospekt (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #6)
  • Better To Rest (Liam Campbell #4)
  • Blackman's Coffin (Sam Blackman, #1)
  • Dying on the Vine (Gideon Oliver, #17)
  • London Noir
  • Circles of Confusion (Claire Montrose, #1)
  • Thunder Bay (Cork O'Connor, #7)
  • Motherhood Is Murder
  • Kindred Crimes
  • A Dead Man's Tale
  • Quoth the Raven (Gregor Demarkian, #4)
52067
Over the years, Archer Mayor has been photographer, teacher, historian, scholarly editor, feature writer, travel writer, lab technician, political advance man, medical illustrator, newspaper writer, history researcher, publications consultant, constable, and EMT/firefighter. He is also half Argentine, speaks two languages, and has lived in several countries on two continents.

All of which makes mak
More about Archer Mayor...

Joe Gunther (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Open Season (Joe Gunther #1)
  • Borderlines (Joe Gunther #2)
  • Scent of Evil (Joe Gunther #3)
  • The Skeleton's Knee (Joe Gunther #4)
  • Fruits of the Poisonous Tree (Joe Gunther #5)
  • The Dark Root  (Joe Gunther #6)
  • The Ragman's Memory (Joe Gunther #7)
  • Bellows Falls (Joe Gunther #8)
  • The Disposable Man (Joe Gunther #9)
  • Occam's Razor (Joe Gunther #10)
Open Season (Joe Gunther #1) Borderlines (Joe Gunther #2) The Skeleton's Knee (Joe Gunther #4) Tag Man (Joe Gunther #22) Scent of Evil (Joe Gunther #3)