Start by marking “The Bancroft Strategy” as Want to Read:
The Bancroft Strategy

Robert Ludlum

The Bancroft Strategy

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,187 Ratings  ·  214 Reviews
Two Americans find themselves facing a shadowy organization
working to twist global politics toward an unsavory end….

Todd Belknap, a field agent for Consular Operations, is cut loose from the agency after a job gone wrong. But when his best friend and fellow agent is abducted abroad and the government refuses to step in, Belknap decides to take matters into his own hands.

Me

Published (first published January 1st 2006)

Ramakrishnan M
Apr 26, 2010 Ramakrishnan M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting. The book is supposed to be written by Robert Ludlum; the cover merely mentions "Robert Ludlum"... no "and XYZ"...or "inspired by Robert Ludlum" etc. Yet, when I do a simple google search, I discover that Ludlum apparently started this work, but did not finish it. The Ludlum estate found a "qualified author and editor" to complete the work.

Well what the hell...give the devil it's due. This is a pretty good "Ludlum" (irrespective of who really wrote each page). It has all the hallmark
Bev Taylor
Apr 27, 2015 Bev Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
todd has been a cia operative for over 20 years and has a best friend, jared

andrea has just been given 12million $ to join the board of the bancroft foundation - her family. their aim is to improve lives all over the world,using money, intelligence and computer savvy

but at what cost and who is genesis.

nobody is whom they seem and r on different sides to how they appear

andrea and todd form an uneasy alliance to get to the truth of the matter - at great cost

couple of questions. surely todd, wi
Andrea
Mar 21, 2013 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Don't know how I missed this when I was in my Robert Ludlum period.
I found this in a used book store and didn't recognize as having read before so I picked it up.

The book was published in 2006, 5 years after Robert Ludlum died. This book is written by Robert Ludlum TM (trademark), and is attributed as a "posthumously published novel". it's a long book (708 pages) due in most part to the complex plot with world-wide locations. The main characters are Todd Belknapp, a field agent for Consular Oper
Trilby
Aug 12, 2009 Trilby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, spy
The 16 CDs in the audio version of this book kept me awake while driving all 1,200 miles from Pittsburgh to Grand Marais. For that, I thank Ludlum. However, I would never have finished this book in paper form. The muscle-bound, clever spy! the adolescent with the 150+ IQ! the slimy villains! the unspeakably beautiful and clever heiress! the romance! the treachery! the numerous international locales! Is there a cliche that Ludlum doesn't like? I enjoyed the Bourne series on film, but listening to ...more
Andrew
May 28, 2008 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carolyn Browne
Jan 23, 2016 Carolyn Browne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the tradition of such Ludlum classics as The Chancellor Manuscript and The Icarus Agenda , The Bancroft Strategy is a compelling novel of intrigue, where two figures find themselves facing a shadowy organization working to twist global politics to their own unsavory ends. When Todd Belknap - a legendary field agent for Consular Operations with a reputation as something of a cowboy - is cut loose from the agency after an operation goes wrong, his best friend and fellow agent is abducted in Leb ...more
Brendon
This was my first experience with an audio book and that may have tainted my thoughts and review of the book. First, I want to comment on the actual format of audio books. I don’t think I am completely engaged as I would be if I actually read the book. The narrator takes away some of my imagination due to voice inflection, pauses, and character voices. Plus I get distracted when I am driving and find myself not paying attention at some points in the story.

The writing itself, I did not find that
Carl Alves
In this novel, US Intelligence agent Todd Belknap is in Lebanon trying to find an agent who has been kidnapped. On a separate story line, Andrea Bancroft, a hedge fund analyst has been put on the board of her family’s foundation, which has some potentially nefarious dealings. The two story lines intersect in a mess of conspiracy.

One of Ludlum’s weakest points is that many of his novels just have no basis in reality, and this novel suffers from some of these same flaws. Naturally, the Bancroft fo
Céline
Pour être claire, ce livre m'a pris trois mois à lire, parce que je n'arrivais vraiment pas à rentrer dedans. Le problème: une mauvaise répartition du savoir entre les personnages et le lecteur.
Pendant les 150 premières pages, je me suis demandée pourquoi je continuais à lire ce livre. On patauge. Les personnages me paraissaient plats ( Andrea qui venait de rompre avec son petit ami, bref, grand classique) et les dialogues...terribles ( l'engueulade entre le patron et Todd, ça m'a tuée. Personne
Yvann S
Oct 30, 2011 Yvann S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“We have taken possession of the package, the note said. Enjoy your stay. Yet what truly made his blood freeze was the sign-off: GENESIS.”

Todd Belknap, experienced field agent for an undisclosed governmental agency, is incensed when his plans go awry and he is fired. On the same night that his own operation goes off course, his mentor and best friend is kidnapped on a similar assignment. Belknap refuses to abandon him and sets off to track him down.

Andrea Bancroft has long been separated from he
Carol
Todd Belknap, experienced field agent goes on a mission that goes awry at the same time his best friend, Jared Rhinehart, and fellow agent is kidnapped and will probably be tortured and killed. The State Dept decides not to rescue his friend and it is up to Belknap to rescue him.

Andrea Bancroft is offered a lucrative position on the family philanthropic foundation. She takes the position but the more she finds out about the foundation, the more endangered her life becomes. At one point she meet
Renae Salisbury
Since I read AMBLER WARNING and enjoyed it, I decided to grab another Ludlum off the library shelf. Again the ghost writer(s) created a fancinating story that takes readers across the globe and into terrifying worlds peopled with very scary individuals. Scary because they could be the assassin next door or because they perform their evil deeds under the illusion that they are making the world a better place.

This time, however, I noticed that Ludlum's ghost writers must subscribe to the handbook
Vardan Partamyan
Aug 19, 2013 Vardan Partamyan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In preparation for my next novel, I have read a variety of old and new school conspiracy thrillers and I have to say that I am very impressed with Robert Ludlum's mastery of the genre and his ability of smoothly navigating waters much threaded through before and after him. Ludlum is able to ratchet up the tension to a point where the reader himself is basically at a loss at what can be done to save the hopeless situation and then he comes up with a perfectly plausible (well, plausible in the con ...more
Bookworm Amir
Jan 14, 2012 Bookworm Amir rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Even though the cover and the title of t he book may sound boring, and sound like 'just another James Bond, or more likely, Jason Bourne rip-off', think again.

I really wonder how and when does Robert Ludlum get the time to craft such details, research such intricacies, and write and envision such stories. They are a web of mystery upon thrillers! This is why I feel that the money I spent on this book, was worth it (especially since the book is 520 pages long!)

First of all, I finished reading th
David
Oct 30, 2014 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jan
Apr 29, 2014 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Robert Ludlum book, how can one not like it!

Story: Secret Agent man, meets Andrea Bancroft, while he is investigating a mystery. Webs of lies, deceit and betrayal run through the story. Who is Genesis?
Why has his government betrayed him and out to terminate him? Will good take over evil? Why is for the greater good, bad for all? And sadly it starts all over again.

Excellent read.
Sanjana Argula
Mar 23, 2014 Sanjana Argula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Amazing book.....SHEER brilliance as expected. The story revolves around two nicely scripted and well portrayed characters who take our breath away till the very end. Everything-from the subtle storytelling to the awesome characters, from the winding mazes of Uruguay to the wide streets of New York and LA, every pace manages to appeal to the thrill and suspense of the reader. To all those people reading this book out there, you're in for a joyride (wink)...
Jerome
May 11, 2012 Jerome rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, thriller
This was the fifth and final book which was outlined by Robert Ludlum before his death and then finished by another author. In keeping with my opinion from the other of those five books which I've read, it is among the weakest of his novels. This one was partly saved by some interesting twists and turns over the second 2/3 of the book, but even with those, I pieced together the major points about the ending with around 100 pages left. Still keeping it from being more than just an enjoyable way t ...more
Ambar Parashar
Gr8 book, Ludlum seldom gives readers a loose point in this novel.Basically an espionage story about a protagonist(spy from American secret agency) searching for his friend and colleague.It seems in manner in which writer describes scenario that he must have been spy himself.Novel takes you to the journey of countries around the world and his description of places and people is just enchanting.Each page gives out something new twists and turns although novel have many characters(as it should be ...more
Ben Campbell
Dec 16, 2011 Ben Campbell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two months of off-on reading, mostly at bedtime yet The Bancroft Strategy didn't deprive me of sleep. Because the story was so lengthly I'll be concise.

Suspenseful, mysterious, murderous; romancing, spying, globe hopping; sometimes exotic; muscular handsome men, well appointed woman, genius philanthropic child; deceitful, lecherous, and cunning expose into the world of physical and digital espionage politics and more, more and more deceit, murder and lying.

Even though I'd figured out the ending
Abdulsamiu
Not a bad read.

Lots of mystery to keep you interested, but the character of Todd and everything he can do/has happen to him is just WAY too unbelievable.

Andrea on the other hand is much more interesting, but there isn't really much on just her or her life.

It had potential, but for me it just constantly shifted from over-the-top to underwhelming and back again.
Seth
Jun 05, 2013 Seth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find that my favorite books are the ones that are able to successfully blend an enjoyable story with a deep moral or philosophic idea as the main theme. The Bancroft Strategy does this with a story with action, suspense, intrigue, (and strangely enough, romance), while at the same time discussing the concepts of government intervention and the greater good. I loved the globe-trotting, the sudden twists and turns in the plot, but I especially liked the characters: humane villains, secret allies ...more
Eunice Korczak
Another by one of my all-time-favorite authors, Robert Ludlum. This may not be one of his best, but his less-than-best are pretty great. This may have a co-author and may have been completed after Ludlum's death, but I believe the story was developed and outlined by Ludlum. It is a good book. I liked it.
Rhod
Jul 05, 2014 Rhod rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ludlum writes action packed stories that nearly tire you out. Liked this book and his characters, but thought he would spend a bit more time toward the end with the love interest. Since it was over 500 pages, maybe that was best. I plan to read more of his novels.
Mike
Dec 04, 2015 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely solid, fun story. This type of story is pretty much exactly why I read Ludlum in the first place. Some parts can be a little over-the-top or outlandish, but it's a good time all the way through.
Lewis Alderton
I read better - I've read worse. Todd's character doesn't work very well and the author ( whoever ghost wrote it ) lacks imagination for getting him out of situations.
Chadillac
Sep 11, 2015 Chadillac rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
My expectations were that this would be less of a serial novel than it was. All in all it was a great serial spy thriller with the exceptions of the numerous typos.
Barry
Sep 17, 2014 Barry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
It appears the quality of Mr Ludlum's writing declined after his death. Whoever wrote this came close to Mr Ludlum's voice, but fell a little short, and several times the writing felt forced and awkward. Additionally, there were several typos in the version I read, including two in a three page span. Typos are pretty much inexcusable in this day and age, and it made the book come across as quickly thrown together in an attempt to make money.

The plot of this story eerily resembled the last book o
Jerry-Mac
Apr 23, 2015 Jerry-Mac marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Bonnie Tharp
Jul 17, 2014 Bonnie Tharp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read a Ludlum in a long time. This one I listened to on tape and it was quite good. If you're in for a thriller I'd say go for it.
reading 2 12 Apr 05, 2014 03:38AM
  • The Bourne Sanction (Jason Bourne, #6)
  • The Ares Decision (Covert-One, #8)
  • The Janson Command (Paul Janson, #2)
  • Edge of Danger (Sean Dillon, #9)
  • Vicious Circle
  • The Navigator (NUMA Files, #7)
  • The Hunters (Presidential Agent, #3)
  • The Coil (Liz Sansborough, #2)
  • Avenger
  • The Sands of Sakkara
  • Wings of Fire (Patrick McLanahan, #10)
Robert Ludlum was the author of twenty-seven novels, each one a New York Times bestseller. There are more than 210 million of his books in print, and they have been translated into thirty-two languages. He is the author of The Scarlatti Inheritance, The Chancellor Manuscript, and the Jason Bourne series--The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy, and The Bourne Ultimatum--among others. Mr. Ludlum ...more
More about Robert Ludlum...