Start by marking “Dollanganger Boxed Set: Flowers in the Attic / If There Be Thorns / Petals on the Wind / Seeds of Yesterday / Garden of Shadows(Dollanganger, prequel-4” as Want to Read:

Dollanganger Boxed Set: Flowers in the Attic / If There Be Thorns / Petals on the Wind / Seeds of Yesterday / Garden of Shadows(Dollanganger, prequel-4 (Dollanganger #1-5)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  3,250 ratings  ·  147 reviews
Including a free poster of the family tree for the Dollanger Saga, this set features Flowers in the Attic, If There Be Thorns, Petals on the Wind and Seeds of Yesterday.
Boxed Set
Published August 15th 1991 by Pocket Books (first published 1979)

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Book of Ruth by E.J. BenardRed Roots by Stella PurpleDollanganger Boxed Set by V.C. AndrewsBlack Snow by Stella Purple
Incest is Fine
4th out of 26 books — 21 voters
The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny HanAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsIt's Not Summer Without You by Jenny HanThe Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares
Summer Break Books for YA
431st out of 541 books — 480 voters

More lists with this book...

Alexa
I stumbled upon these books when I was ten or eleven. My poor mother had nooooo idea! I was immediately obsessed with V.C. Andrews, and devoured every series. This one is the best, though. Even now, more than twenty years later, I can remember the mood of the novels, the dread, the longing, the forbidden passions.

Now, since reading these, I have gotten a degree in literature, so I can in no way endorse these as life-changing or intellectually stimulating. But they are perfectly 'what they are' -
Deepthought
Why wasn't Garden of shadows included ?I have written an analysis of the first tow book on the Dollanganger series Fita and Potw read that first. This is the second part of my review. For good measure I included GOS.

***Book 3 -If there be thorns.

The technique Andrews uses here is of a second, third narrator to discredit Cathy in case you didn't get the hint

Bart's transformation into a killer echoing some of their ancestor Malcolm, Catherine, Garland, the second Corinne.

Jory's growing awareness t
Aby Ramos
I read this book when I was in elementary school and I had no idea it was for adults. I thought is was some type of mystery book but then I realized it was very twisty. I like the whole series and sometimes I forgot that the two lovers were related. They are teenagers trapped in an attic and are forced to grow up in order to take care of there siblings...so I guess the incest would be justified....somewhat.
Kerry Kenney
Did anyone else sneakily read these books in grade school and love every forbidden minute of it?
Bernie
I was griped by the story when I read the first book Flowers in the Attic. After that I had to read the rest of the series. It is not a heart warming tale and shows how dark some religious people's souls are to children by treating them with such indifference. By regarding them as the "Spourn of Satan" and locking them in an attic for years shows how dark it gets. It has a few sub-stories such as the mother and father's relationship. The background to the mother's life and the grandfathers influ ...more
Amanda
I can't help but love these books so much, out of every book I've read in my life time, these have been the only ones I just can't put down, the drama, the love, the hate, and the passion, the lies, and the truth finally coming out during the prequel. So great, I love the setting, I love the plot, I CRIED when I finished the first four books because I felt like I actually got to know Cathy, and be with her for awhile, I think about these books DAILY, it's such a haunting story, one you can never ...more
Allison
Aug 10, 2011 Allison rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Allison by: a school friend
Read these books whilst still in high school and have gone back to read them countless times. At the time I was reading mainly Danielle Steel and this ws something of a shocking read to me then. Something in me was really touched by the characters of Catherine and perhaps Christopher even more. The last book made me cry so hard. Absolutely loved these book.
Jessica B
Imagine having a great life and having it taken away from you in the snap of a finger. In the book, Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews, Cathy, Chris, Cory, and Carries lives are ruined when a tragic car accident kills their father and leaves them with their now widowed mother. Join the journey of four kids trying to stay alive while watching their mother turn on them. You’ll feel their pain, struggle, and lust as you read along.

Chris, Cory, Carrie, and Cathy are four siblings who love there l
debbie vowell
ok, In flowers in the attic the mother came back to get back into her fathers good graces. The reason being is she had married her uncle. YOU NEED TO READ GARDEN OF SHADOWS! I though it explained everything! Anyway yes she married her uncle but, her mother did not want her father to know about the kids or her would not take the daughter back into the family. the father would have though the children (even though they turned out perfect) were devil's spawn. Don't want to give to much of it away i ...more
Suzanne Stewart
These books I read long ago. The whole series is so gripping and I couldn't put them down! I love 90% of all the VC Andrews books and she's again, another of my favorite authors. When I found out shed passed away. I never thought there would be another as good as VC Andrews! But her daughter took over. I believe, and they're still my "go to" books...for old times sake!
Stacey Speers
I really enjoyed the switch in perspectives from the boy to the mother, but the boy (Bart) seemed unrealistically disturbing and the contrast to Julian surprising. I guess I just didn't like the story as much.
Im impressed I still remember the names though, seeing as it was a few years ago I read it!

Certainly a memorable book.
Jennie
Sep 02, 2008 Jennie added it
I read these in jr. high, which is so screamingly inappropriate I can't even stand it. They still live in my mind as some of the trashiest, kitschiest, most overblown, overdramatic drivel ever written. Therefore, they have a very special place in my heart.
[3.6 rounded up] yea some of the content was messed up but I loved the series, the writing was so captivating I couldn't stop reading them, when I finished the series I couldn't help but feel like I had missed it ------
For the record I went into reading these books without knowing anything about the series
I felt really emotional so many times through out the series, it was well done, her writing is amazing

The only things that bother me was that in the last 2 books there were some things left un
Laniece
I'm a huge VC Andrews fan!! Yes, I realize every single VC Andrews book is the same as every other VC Andrews book...but that's kinda what I like!
Jocardo
Okay...I read these books years ago but they were SO MUCH FUN!!!! May not be the best written, or the best plot but they sure are compelling!
tracy
I read these books as a teenager but probably should'nt have the subject matter was more adult.
Michelle Moloney King
Christ, these books terrified me and yet I loved them as a YA.
Carolyn James
Up till about 2006, I almost read exclusively V.C. Andrews. They were twisted, they were dramatic, and they were like reading a soap opera. Looking back, I’m glad I branched out. These were pretty dark and formulaic. Every series had an incest relationship, someone going from rags to riches, a crazy mother who has a mental breakdown, and someone who would end up in a wheelchair. The Dollanganger series is the original template for this pattern. In one way it’s better because it’s before Andrews ...more
Nico
one of the best, most loved series/authors of all time. V.C. Andrews books are something so easily recognizable and new books continue to evolve to go with the times and bring in a whole new generation of loving readers
Fiona Stewart
I read all these books a very long time ago when I was 15 and really enjoyed all of Virginia Andrews books since. I really enjoyed writing reader reviews. Couldn't recommend them enough, brilliant.
Nikki Marie
v.c. andrews books are all absolutely amazing and very easily distinguishable from any other authors. i love the darkeness, secrets, lies, very addicting, i have almost every single book!
Julie Otzelberger
This series came out when I was very young, 6th grade-ish, and this series is what made me fall in love with reading. I was so engossed in the story and emotonally invested in the charectors. When I turned 40, I re-read the series just to take me back to that feeling. LOVE this series
Nikki
Favorites! I read them when i was like 13 and it was in spanish. I fell in love, i was obsessed and could not stop reading. it kept surprising me every time.
Christie Jones
Read these when I was about 13 (borrowed off my mum) and I loved them!!! Don't know if I'd think the same now but I remember reading each book at least 3 times!
Mayra
Amazing series! I love that all my questions were answered as I got to read every characters life! I was unable to put the books down!
Jia Ismail
One of the first novels I read in my teens n up until now still I would love to read it again.... MY ALL TIME FAVOURITE.....
Jenni Tavares
First book series I ever read when I was a teenager , loved them !! Always thought about picking them up again
Laurie
I liked them, & I didn't.
I read these when I was a teenager. I don't think the twisted nature of these books was good for a young naive mind. I felt bad for the children, no-one should have to live like that.

I still remember the smut that I read that upset me, yet kept me wondering about what else was in the next book.
I don't think these are books that young minds should read.

Actually, are they really good for anyone to read? I wonder why the author would write books like this? It certainly
Tonya
I enjoy V.C. Andrews books. I have read most of her series. I would recommend them. The Older version of the movie is better than the newer version.
Deodand
Quite simply full of trash. I read these books under the cautious eye of my librarian mother, who gave the yea or nay to my choices at a vulnerable age. I hope no one goes about taking these books too seriously - I sure didn't, even though I was young & fairly naive when I read them. One has to wonder what was going on in Andrew's mind to make up a story like this.

I am giving these books 4 stars because they were a delicious treat to me in my teens, I liked them a lot but didn't take them to
Read the dollanganger series plz 6 3 Nov 07, 2014 06:49PM
  • Articles On Novels By V.C. Andrews
  • Novels by V. C. Andrews (Book Guide): Garden of Shadows, Flowers in the Attic, My Sweet Audrina, Petals on the Wind, the Orphans Series
  • Rising Dark (The Darkling Trilogy, Book 2)
  • With Malice Toward One
  • Common Descent (Darwin's Children, #3)
  • Chicken Soup for the College Soul: Inspiring and Humorous Stories About College
  • ANNIHILATION (Alfonzo, #6)
  • Down with Love
  • Given Away, A Sicilian Upbringing
  • Pirate
  • The Male Cross-Dresser Support Group
  • The Pirates! In An Adventure With Napoleon
  • Maze (Ballerina, #2)
  • Judastöchter (Kinder des Judas, #3)
  • The Swamp Where Gator Hides
  • Rush to Glory: Formula 1 Racing's Greatest Rivalry
  • The Pigman's Legacy
  • Dawn Rochelle (Dawn Rochelle, #1-4)
Books published under the following names - Virginia Andrews, V. Andrews, Virginia C. Andrews & V.C. Endrius. Books since her death ghost written by Andrew Neiderman, but still attributed to the V.C. Andrews name

Virginia Cleo Andrews (born Cleo Virginia Andrews) was born June 6, 1923 in Portsmouth, Virginia. The youngest child and the only daughter of William Henry Andrews, a career navy man
More about V.C. Andrews...

Dollanganger (5 books)
  • Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1)
  • Petals on the Wind (Dollanganger, #2)
  • If There Be Thorns (Dollanganger, #3)
  • Seeds of Yesterday (Dollanganger, #4)
  • Garden of Shadows (Dollanganger, #5)
Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1) Petals on the Wind (Dollanganger, #2) If There Be Thorns (Dollanganger, #3) Seeds of Yesterday (Dollanganger, #4) Garden of Shadows (Dollanganger, #5)