Start by marking “Cold Burial: A True Story of Endurance and Disaster” as Want to Read:
Cold Burial: A True Story of Endurance and Disaster

Cold Burial: A True Story of Endurance and Disaster

Jack Hornby was determined to make himself as great a name as George Mallory, Robert Scott, and T.E. Lawrence---self-assured, aristocratic, handsome, his life’s ambition was to prove to his family and to the world that he could survive, even thrive, in one of the most inhospitable regions in the world. During the winter of 1926--1927, Hornby led a foolhardy expedition to t ...more
Published January 10th 2003 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published June 9th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Burial, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Burial

Xysea
Oct 15, 2007 Xysea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: outdoor enthusiasts, history buffs
The subject was fascinating, but the writing was dull.

I have been trying to read this book for two weeks and only got to page 89 before realizing it would be months before I finished. In fact, I finished two other (good) books in the space of time I've been mulling over trying to wrap up this one. That's a bad sign.

Still, when I could find a few quiet moments this book did have a compelling story behind it. Jack Hornby was a dashing, romantic figure of sorts - aristocratic, wealthy, eccentric.
Amy
Feb 21, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 1927, 18-year-old Edgar Christian went with his mother's cousin, Jack Hornby, and another young man, to explore the Barrens region of Canada. Edgar had kind of a hero worship for Hornby - he was famous for his explorations and adored in England. Hornby was an experienced Arctic Explorer, but seemed to be kind of a seat-of-the-pants kind of person. They had a lot of equipment, but not a lot of food. Apparently Hornby was planning to catch a caribou migration and live off of the caribou meat fo ...more
Suzanne
Sep 12, 2008 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Whoever finds this, look in stove."

Based on the diary bequeathed to his old school in Folkestone by his grieving parents, this tells the story of naive Edgar Christian, his cousin Jack Hornby and their fellow companion Howard Adlar, on their two year voyage, led by Hornby, to the Barren Ground, the lands west of Hudson Bay and east and north of the Great Slave Lake. An ill-conceived journey which was to end in tragedy.

Deceptively simple in its style, this is one which, if you enjoy reading abo
Les Wolf
Apr 23, 2013 Les Wolf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A penetrating look into the lives and minds of rugged frontiersmen and survivalists, the last of their breed, in the 1920's. Jack Hornby, the world-renowned man-of-the-wild, teams up with Harold Adlard, a World War I veteran and sharpshooter and Edgar Christian, his nephew, newly graduated from high school. The three travel to one of the most remote and hostile regions of the world; the Canadian Northwest area known as the Barrens. For a year, they plan to explore the region's rivers and lakes a ...more
Rob Corbett
Apr 11, 2013 Rob Corbett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: outside
Oh. Good. God. This first hand account of the slow painful lonely death of three arctic adventurers is dark as dark gets. Worst of all it is completely true! As a distance backpacker and wilderness lover myself, I found this book completely entharalling, and haunting. Anyone with the love of adventure, the out of doors and human frailty would be well served by reading this book. I dont need to read this again,as it is etched in my memory forever.
Shirley
Apr 17, 2012 Shirley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
This was an effort to read, and not written in the most engaging way. However, I managed to finish it, and the author had obviously researched well, and there was a lot of detail about how to survive/or not against all the odds - so I'm glad I finished it.
Marlene Heroux
Jan 29, 2013 Marlene Heroux rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating account of a man's misjudgement of his ability to survive in wild places and the terrible ending he, and, more importantly those he charmed into joining him suffered, as he lived out his dreams.
Shawn Marie Hardy
Shawn Marie Hardy rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2013
Lou
Lou rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2013
Jay Butler
Jay Butler rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2013
Mel Betts
Mel Betts rated it did not like it
Apr 27, 2012
Marilyn
Marilyn rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2008
Holly
Holly rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Adam Swanson
Adam Swanson rated it liked it
May 27, 2007
John Dedio
John Dedio rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2014
Guyanne
Guyanne rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2012
Tiago
Tiago rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2016
Kendra
Kendra rated it it was ok
Dec 01, 2007
Rosemarie
Rosemarie rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Will Kastner
Will Kastner rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2016
Romy
Romy rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2007
Leigh
Leigh rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2009
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2009
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2008
Denise
Denise rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2011
Pat Padden
Pat Padden rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2013
~ Erin
~ Erin rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2015