Start by marking “Poker” as Want to Read:
Poker

Poker

Poker is Tomaz Salamun's first book of poetry, originally published in 1966 in Slovenia. This edition, vibrantly translated by award-winning poet Joshua Beckman in collaboration with the author, makes Poker available in its entirety in English.

As a young poet Salamun edited Perspektive, a progressive cultural and political journal. Communist authorities eventually banned t
Published November 1st 2007 by Zephyr Press (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Poker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poker

Greg
Jan 18, 2009 Greg rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I don't like reviewing poetry. I don't know why I like some poetry and not other. I know that if I 'get it' and if I don't find what I 'get' to be trite or sounding like it comes from an angry fifteen year old's notebook then I am tempted to like it. Poker appealed to me because it's a pretty book, very nicely designed and the book is even nice to touch. I read part of it in the elevator brining it up from the basement at work and liked what I read, so I bought it. About half of the book I can f ...more
Tijana
[stric Gvido]
"neprestano je razmišljao o smrti
kupovao nam sladoled
i svakog dana iznova otkrivao
šta je bilo između
magnolije Brandenburg i Amerika
prije dva dana umro je Eliot
moj učitelj"
jeff
Jul 01, 2008 jeff rated it really liked it
Shelves: poems, in-translation
Simultaneously more straightforward and looser than much of his later work (seems reasonable for a first book by a 22-year old experimentalist), i enjoyed it quite a bit. I admit that reading his stuff of late has gone a long way toward loosening words from out my own head. Strange the disconnect (at least for me) between the work you think you should be writing and the work you need to be writing.
Paul Killebrew
May 17, 2008 Paul Killebrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this (especially the section called "Little Mushrooms") alongside Isaiah Berlin's concept of the ascetic, which he brings up in Two Concepts of Liberty and Roots of Romanticism--the person who, in order to escape the pain of want, teaches herself not to want. "The rule does not oppress me if I impose it on myself."
Ben G
Sep 14, 2015 Ben G rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
OK, never having read Salamun is a scholarly oversight on my part. I started with his first collection, and it's a bit like reading Hart Crane - you see the early days of modernism, but devoid of context (in this case, both time and country), it's easy to feel like you're not getting everything you should. Still, you feel the currents - the jab of repetition and the cross of aphorism.
Donald Armfield
Jun 21, 2014 Donald Armfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, translations
Wasn't planning on reading this in one sitting but couldn't put it down. The only thing I did not like was the repeating lines.

Weird and enjoyable!
Jeffrey Cyphers
Feb 26, 2009 Jeffrey Cyphers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Astonishing... a level of freedom (hidden within ad hoc structures) that is exilhirating at times and confounding at others. Only from Eastern Europe!
James
James rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2008
Aljaž
Aljaž rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2013
Travis
Travis rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2008
Laurel
Laurel rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2007
Dan Mrevlje
Dan Mrevlje rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2012
Nina Misson
Nina Misson rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2010
Khaled
Khaled rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2016
John Schulz
John Schulz rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2013
Shane
Shane rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2012
John
John rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2008
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2009
Matvei
Matvei rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2007
Urh
Urh rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2014
Ben
Ben rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2008
Nina
Nina rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2013
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2017
Soldo Facile
Soldo Facile rated it it was ok
Jul 06, 2012
Jana Srdić
Jana Srdić rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2015
Muumuu House
Muumuu House rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2013
Maša
Maša rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2017
Dejan Koban
Dejan Koban rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2016
Nicholas
Nicholas rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2015