Start by marking “How to Surprise a Dad” as Want to Read:
How to Surprise a Dad

How to Surprise a Dad

From the creators of the New York Times bestsellers HOW TO BABYSIT A GRANDPA and HOW TO BABYSIT A GRANDMA comes a charming new how-to book about surprising dear old Dad!

So you want to surprise your dad? You’re in luck! The pages of this book are full of tips on how to become a super dad surpriser, including tips for things you can make, do, or find—just for your dad.

Be
Published March 24th 2015 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about How to Surprise a Dad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Surprise a Dad

Wolfie the Bunny by Ame DyckmanLast Stop on Market Street by Matt de la PenaThe Day the Crayons Came Home by Drew DaywaltRed by Michael  HallSidewalk Flowers by JonArno Lawson
Picture Books of 2015
136th out of 267 books — 139 voters
Last Stop on Market Street by Matt de la PenaThe Case for Loving by Selina AlkoChicken in the Kitchen by Nnedi OkoraforI'm New Here by Anne Sibley O'BrienPhoenix Song by Tutu Dutta
2015 Picture Books With POC Leads
86th out of 100 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachel
Sep 15, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This was a an extremely cute story and I think it would be great for kids and dads to read together. The illustrations are quite engaging. I don't think I'll use it for storytime just because of all the asides make it difficult to read in a group setting.
Kristen
Oct 11, 2016 Kristen rated it really liked it
I got the book "How to babysit a Grandma" at my baby shower for my daughter. We really loved that book. So when I saw this one at the library, I had to grab it.

This is a really cute book for kids showing all the ways you can surprise your dad for special days: birthday, father's day, etc). I have always loved how the information is displayed on the pages and the humor that it throws in.

We actually had dad in the room while we read this book, so he took the pledge at the end!

A super cute book for
Regina L
Jun 02, 2015 Regina L rated it it was amazing
The perfect book to read – or have read to you – by the amazing superdad in your life! When a brother and sister duo want to surprise their dad, they work together to be stealthy and of course, as any good surprise must include, keep their father in the dark! The two have come up with a practical how-to-surprise-dad guide, which includes lessons on how to hide it among fake-titled books their dad will not read, amidst pink-heart crafts he’ll be distracted by. You can even learn how to master the ...more
Alyssa
Jan 14, 2015 Alyssa rated it really liked it
I recently took an online class on multicultural children's literature, and the author of this book was also taking the class. She offered to share an early copy with anyone from the class who was interested in checking it out, and that's how I ended up with mine!

It's a cute story (well, "guide"/story!), with lots of humor in the words and illustrations, both aimed at kids and some as a wink to the grown-ups reading it. I think the way it's written might make it difficult to read aloud in a stor
Barbara
The creators of How to Babysit a Grandpa and How to Babysit a Grandma provide great tips for surprising a father in this picture book. The digital illustrations and humorous text offer easy-to-do ways to please a father, but the children and their mother pull out all the stops to make sure he has no idea what they're trying to do. They even have a book--this one--filled with ideas that they keep hidden from him. This one might be ideal for sharing on Father's Day. It might be hard to tell who's ...more
Erin
Apr 24, 2015 Erin added it
Shelves: picture-books, bell
Two kids think up fun and inventive ways to surprise their dad. The book reinforces the power of imagination and a child’s ability to come up with fun things to do and play from simple objects and tasks. From hiding their book on surprising dad to giving it a code name (“Polka-Dotted Hippo”) to planning a surprise party, this book encourages kids to play on their own and come up with inventive ways of playing.
Whitney Rachel
May 19, 2015 Whitney Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, family
It's a cute book and an even cuter concept. Dads need some lovin' too, y'all!
I think I enjoyed it more than I anticipated because it reads like children wrote it. I've definitely overheard kids in the libs talking about surprises in this manner, so it's definitely relatable.

I do feel sad for the kids who don't have dads :(

Good read.
Sheri
Jun 14, 2016 Sheri rated it it was amazing
Cute book in the series of How to Surprise and How to Babysit by Jean Reagan. Lee Wildish adds lots of colorful pictures. Not sure which parts were added by the illustrator other than the text in printed form.
Lynn
Nov 10, 2015 Lynn rated it really liked it
Very dad deserves to have a special surprise, and youngsters could use this book to get some great ideas.
Cartoonish, color illustrations have lots of detail, and the end papers include more ideas and details.
Read  Ribbet
The How to Babysit A Grandpa and Grandma folks, here comes a fun book that helps kids surprise their dad. The directions embedded through the story provide some interesting moments for reading and writing instruction.
Christine
Nov 10, 2015 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is another great book by the author Reagan and illustrator Wildish. This book is similar to "How to babysit a grandpa" and in this sequel they want to surprise their dad. This is for an elementary age students and is similar in format to previous books.
Maddypictures
Jun 04, 2015 Maddypictures rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, with simple suggestions that kids could really do - this is sure to be a Father's Day favorite. Endpages feature super spy diary of ways to do nice things for dads.
Shannon
Jul 11, 2014 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very cute story. I think this one will be as popular as How to Babysit a Grandma and How to Babysit a Grandpa.
Tiffany
Aug 01, 2015 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever and cute, two of the most important ingredients to a good children's book that parents could get into.
Lindsay Beckman
Jun 08, 2015 Lindsay Beckman rated it really liked it
Shelves: e, fiction, family
This actually has a few non-stereotypical gender ideas in it (though the traditional stuff is still plentiful), so that's progress!
Alice
Apr 10, 2015 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
Another super fun, How to surprise/babysit series. Cute ideas and for fathers day! Cute pictures cute concept! !
Lisa
Jun 25, 2016 Lisa rated it it was ok
Probably the cutest of the three I read by this author. I liked how they explained different categories of surprises (make, do, find, special day ones, treats, presents)
Elizabeth S
Elizabeth S rated it it was ok
Nov 30, 2016
Rachel
Apr 27, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
cute - the rest of the books in the series look good also.
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Courtenay
Courtenay rated it liked it
May 26, 2016
Lauren Kerstein
Lauren Kerstein rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
Jason Stalides
My boys were amused by this one :)
Ecl  Storytellers
Ecl Storytellers rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Debbie McNeil
Debbie McNeil rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Holly
Holly rated it it was ok
May 22, 2015
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2016
Christopher Mcgurr
Christopher Mcgurr rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2016
C.
C. rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2015
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Mighty Dads
  • Tad and Dad
  • Henry Wants More!
  • Duck & Goose Go to the Beach
  • Where's Walrus? And Penguin?
  • Very Hairy Bear
  • I Know a Bear
  • The Nuts: Bedtime at the Nut House
  • The Secret Subway
  • Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch
  • Poem-Mobiles: Crazy Car Poems
  • Gideon and Otto
  • Nelly Gnu and Daddy Too
  • Everybody Sleeps (But Not Fred)
  • I Must Have Bobo!
  • Friendshape
  • Mitchell's License
  • Fly!
Jean Reagan lives in Salt Lake City, Utah with her husband, Peter, and daughter, Jane. Their beloved son and brother, John, died in 2005. Born in Alabama, Jean spent most of her childhood in Japan. Since graduting from Earlham College, she has worked as a community organizer, a union activist, and a writer. She cherishes her years as a full-time mother when she also worked at her children's public ...more
More about Jean Reagan...