Start by marking “O Retrato de Dorian Gray” as Want to Read:
O Retrato de Dorian Gray

Read Book* *Different edition

O Retrato de Dorian Gray

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  653,916 Ratings  ·  18,992 Reviews
Em o Retrato de Dorian Gray revela-se-nos o esteticismo de Oscar Wilde: a procura de sensações, a superação do verdadeiro artista sobre as regras da sociedade ou da moral. Nesta obra, a personalidade dividida de Dorian Gray é representada por uma inversão misteriosa da ordem natural, através da qual a sua verdadeira face conserva a juventude inviolada enquanto o retrato é ...more
Published April 1998 by Relógio d'Água (first published June 20th 1890)

To ask other readers questions about O Retrato de Dorian Gray, please sign up.

Cesar Ramirez Because it represents to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit. Or if you think the book is immoral, it is because it shows you your…moreBecause it represents to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit. Or if you think the book is immoral, it is because it shows you your own shame.(less)
Madawa Wilson possibly how we have an image of ourselves which we try to preserve, but its is our actions that defines us. To look one way and act another is…morepossibly how we have an image of ourselves which we try to preserve, but its is our actions that defines us. To look one way and act another is ruinous. I think there is a meaning of not pretending, not to be a hedonist and not to follow others blindly.(less)

Stephen
PortraitOfDorianGray-review
Arguably literature's greatest study of shallowness, vanity, casual cruelty and hedonistic selfishness, Wilde lays it down here with ABSOLUTE PERFECTION!! This was my first experience in reading Oscar Wilde and the man’s gift for prose and dialogue is magical. This story read somewhat like a dark, corrupted Jane Austen in that the writing was snappy and pleasant on the ear, but the feeling it left you with was one of hopelessness and despair.

The level of cynicism and societal disregard that Wi
Paula
Feb 10, 2008 Paula rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Scoobs
Oct 02, 2007 Scoobs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh Dorian. Oh Dorian.

When I first read this book in the fruitless years of my youth I was excited, overwhelmed and a blank slate (as Dorian is, upon his first encounter with Lord Henry) easily molded, persuaded, influenced, etc.

Certain Wildisms (Wildeisms?) would take my breath away. Would become my mottos to believe in. To follow. To live.

Lines like:

"It is silly of you, for there is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."

"But beauty, real
Barry Pierce
So I read all of Wilde's plays a couple of years ago but for some reason I never read this at the time. This is probably the number one most requested book for me to read. So I read it. Are ya happy now!? ARE YA!?

I really rather enjoyed this. Well, obviously. I mean, did you honestly think I wasn't going to like The Picture of Dorian Gray? It's by Oscar Wilde for fuck's sake. His prose is like spilled honey flowing across a wooden table and waterfalling onto the floor beneath. The viscous liquid
Emily May
Aug 15, 2012 Emily May rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, 2012, favourites
"The sitter is merely the accident, the occasion. It is not he who is revealed by the painter; it is rather the painter who, on the coloured canvas, reveals himself. The reason I will not exhibit this picture is that I am afraid that I have shown in it the secret of my own soul."

And so begins this tale of art and sin. I would highly recommend first watching the movie Wilde starring the wonderful Stephen Fry, it is a film which takes the audience on a journey through the life of the tormented w
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
The Picture of Dorian Gray is a hard book to review. After reading such eloquent, beautiful, and rich writing, I am at a loss for how to command my comparatively paltry ability to use words to express how I felt about this book.

Forgive me as I go back to AP English for a few moments. I asked myself what were the themes of this novel. Here is my list:

Identity
Experience
Beauty
The triumph on senses over reason
Accountability

I will attempt to build my review, in part, around the discussion of these t
Bookdragon Sean
I finished reading this last night, and afterwards I spent an entire hour staring into space so I could contemplate over the majesty of this work. It left me speechless. This book is exquisite; it is an investigation into the human soul, the power of vanity and the problems of living a life with not a single consequence for your actions. It’s truly powerful stuff.

It begins with a simple realisation, and perhaps an obvious one. But, for Dorian it is completely life changing. He realises that bea
Trevor
Mar 23, 2008 Trevor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
This is another of those books I’ve been meaning to read for ages and kept putting off. Although I’ve a particularly good reason for putting this one off, as a very good friend of mine, who died a couple of years ago, spoke to me about this book and I was worried that might make it hard to read for quite other reasons.

He said that when he read this book as a young man it made him certain that he was not homosexual. Now, that in itself was enough to make me curious about the book. This is a book
Ana
“Behind every exquisite thing that existed, there was something tragic.”

photo 14474271_zps2nqturoy.gif

This book is dark unicorns and rainbows. It's chocolate ice cream with cherries on top. It's a pizza with everything on it. It's a fluffy kitten. It's ice cold lemonade on a hot summer day.

It is absolutely marvellous.

I couldn't help but include this in my review. Keanu Reeves is the real life Dorian Gray.

photo wwwwwwwww_zpsvgnvyjai.jpg

ماذا لو استطعت أن تنفض يدك عن أي جريمة ارتكبت
وأي شر اقترفت

ماذا لو استطعت تحقيق المستحيل
وضمنت الخلود..؟؟

وماذا لو كان ذلك المكان السري هو وجهك الذي نحته فيلسوف فنان على الورق..

وماذا لو كان بإمكانك رؤية جميع مفاسدك تتجلى يوما بعد يوم على وجهك الكامل الجمال في عيون الكل

سواك..

:::::::::::

ما رأيك يا دوريان في قول المسيح
ماذا يستفيد الإنسان لو خسر روحه وربح العالم أجمع؟
Paul Bryant
Jan 06, 2013 Paul Bryant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I don't know what I was quite expecting here. It's a psychological horror story with a lot of comic relief, in the form of the endless witty paradoxes. After page 30 you are thinking that if Lord Henry makes just one more crack you're going to knock his monocle off his family crest and grind it underfoot. Oscar often clearly thinks he's being hilarious with his wit with a capital W – and maybe it's me, but Oscar Wilde often sounds like a parody of Oscar Wilde, like in the Monty Python sketch

WHIS
Kalliope
Apr 11, 2014 Kalliope rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Funny how books are moulded by the circumstances in which they have been read.

In Dorian Gray, some of its aspects are very easy to grasp and do not need great explanations.

For example, Wilde’s epigrammatic style is so very distinct. I have had a lot of fun selecting quotes and peppered with them my reading progress.

His sentences are like small diamonds. They can be held and set against the light and moved around so that their different facets will shine and reflect the world around them. They a
Petra Eggs
Possessing eternal youth and beauty produces exactly the same effect as sentencing a man to life without the possibility of parole. Both have nothing to lose and morals disappear before the desire for immediate self-gratification in all things. And so it is with Dorian Gray. It's a moral story so eventually his evil catches up with him and he dies, as does the criminal.

Is Oscar Wilde saying that it is man's essential nature, to be so internally psychopathic and selfish that so long as he can ke
Jonathan
Sep 23, 2011 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: classic readers, those who enjoy morals

The Picture of Dorian Gray could also be titled A Portrait of the Human Soul, for in his dark and tragic commentary Oscar Wilde spares no liberties in discussing morality, religion, society and the depths of the human condition. It is a deeply moving and inspired novel centering around the defining power of art. It is not an easy novel to read with its dark elements. For in paying heed to Dorian Gray's demise one is drawn into a reflection of their own spiritual condition.

For those who have no i
Henry Avila
May 12, 2013 Henry Avila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"A face without a heart", so said Shakespeare in Hamlet, but it applies to the portrait of Dorian Gray, even better.... When the young gentleman Dorian Gray, from a wealthy aristocratic family, in Victorian England, has his picture completed, something is missing, Basil Hallward, the painter senses it, and insists that no one sees his greatest work, except a few people ... The witty Lord Henry Wotton, Dorian's soon to be best friend, seems amused, a shy artist! All three are fascinated by the pa ...more
Amira Mahmoud
هي صورة الأحزان
هي وجه بلا قلب

هي صورة داخل كل منّا، صورة الروح أو صورة النفس أو أيًا ما كان يمكن أن تسميها.
الصورة التي تعكس وجهنا الحقيقيّ الذي لا يعرف عنه الناس شيئًا
يسعى البعض للتفتيش عنها دائمًا، تفقدها بين حين وآخر والعناية بها
والبعض الآخر يتركها، يحاول دفنها وردمها بعيدًا حتى يتراكم عليها العفن والأتربة.
جميعنا يملك هذه الصورة، هذه المرآة؛ تمامًا كدوريان جراي
الفارق الوحيد بيننا وبينه أنها كانت دائمًا أمامه، لا يحتاج للبحث والتفتيش عنها كما يفعل التقاة
ومهما حاول دفنها وتدميرها والهرب منها
Manny
"My dear Jordan!" said Lord Rayner expansively, as the butler discreetly closed the door behind his young visitor. "Really, it is too good to see you again! And what brings you to Cambridge?"

"Oh, this and that," said the lad, flinging himself casually onto a priceless Ikea divan. "By the way, has there been some mistake in the casting? I thought I was female?"

"Well, since we're doing Dorian Gray, I hoped you would have no objection to reversing your gender," said his host. "And besides, is there
Nayra.Hassan
Mar 02, 2016 Nayra.Hassan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
بسهولة شديدة يستحيل البياض سواد !!و لكن كم هو صعب إعادة البياض لقلب اسود مختوم بالمعاصي ..مفتون بالاثام..كقلبك يا دوريان
هذا وجهه سمح و ملامحه وضاءة تشع نور
و هذا وجهه فظ غليظ خشن حجب نوره
هل وجوهنا تحمل اثامنا؟
هل تجاعيدنا =خطايانا
بالطبع لا☆ و الا لما كان في اللغة تعبيرات مثل و أسفر عن وجهه. .او اماط اللثام عن ملامحه الحقة... فالشيطان جميل دوما

هل تعبر ملامحنا عن صفاتنا ؟
بمرور الزمن ..نعم ..لذا كلنا نخاف مرور الزمن..و بصماته التي يتركها حول العيون المبتسمة دوما ..او الجباه العابسةللابد..لكن تظل
ميقات الراجحي
(1)
اللوحة : الـفـكرة تخرج من رأس صاحـبهـا
تبهره تلك التفاصيل الدقيقة في هذا الـوجه
الذي ينز طفولة ورقة وعـذوبة. هو مـشـروع
ناجح بالنسبة للرسام الذي ألتقط الـفـكرة ....

قرأت هذا العمل في بريطانيا – لندن. ولمن يعرف تفاصيل العصر الفكتوري وماقبله وبعده بخمسين عام سيعرف أثر هذه الأجواء على قراءة أوسكار وايلد لنص يعود للقرن التاسع عشر ميلادي علمًا أن أوسكار هو أخر ما أنتجته الفترة الفكتورية ونهضتها الأدبية التي كانت ضمن سلسلة طويلة من الحـضارة كانت أوروبا قد برزت فيه بعد أن أفلت شمس العرب.

كنت أتخيل كل شخ
Emily Fox
(3.5) This reminded me of why I like classics. Some parts dragged on too long but I enjoyed it overall!
Fabian
Feb 03, 2014 Fabian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect, exquisite, everything that was promised to you. This one has quite a high degree of FOLLOW THROUGH. "Gray" is majestic, about the superficial love for oneself. It poses many questions, and as a book of ideas, perhaps the most innovatory in the latter part of the 19th century of them all, it is exactly what a reader wants. Absolute flawlessness, like the young Dorian himself. It's ESSENTIAL. Indeed, the pinnacle of Gay Lit. Comes to us in the rare tradition of too-good-to-be-true, actual ...more
Councillor
What would you do to gain eternal youth, to be beautiful and young and highly respected forever and ever? In the first instance, you should think long and longer about such a yearning, because in the end, it is not external beauty which counts ... it is the beauty of your soul. A lesson Dorian Gray has to learn in one of the most gruesome ways you could imagine.

"The Picture of Dorian Gray" is an absolute masterpiece, which is a compliment I rarely pay a book. Oscar Wilde can easily be considered
Brendan
Jul 02, 2008 Brendan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Moral degradation follows moisturiser use.
Jonathan Ashleigh
Aug 06, 2014 Jonathan Ashleigh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
If no one wrote a novel after this one: it would be the greatest story ever told and I would be ok with that.
Alex Farrand
Nov 30, 2016 Alex Farrand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
First off, while reading this novel I started thinking about the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. You know the movie with Sean Connery. You know he has that cool voice and was James Bond. I thought to myself that one guy who had the picture sounds an awful lot like Dorian. Kept reading on, until finally I had to look up the movie. And lo and behold it was Dorian Gray. I had to palm to face myself. I should have known, because the other people were book characters too.

Back to the novel. What if
Magdalen
“My own personality has become a burden to me. I want to escape, to go away, to forget.”

No matter how many times I’ve read this book, every time I read it, I feel as if I am reading it for the first time. So where do I begin with this masterpiece?

This book is an actual representation of how bad relationships can affect you. How bad influence can distort your sense. It’s thrilling and it keeps you at the edge of your seat. The picture of Dorian Gray is just brilliant and I personally find t
Riku Sayuj

Good By Proxy

The Picture of Dorian Gray is a very Platonic book in that beauty seems to be considered as an end in itself — except that Dorian’s great love of beauty ought to have induced in him such a revulsion at the growing ugliness of his character (or soul) as to forestall his immoral actions.

That was after all Plato’s great hope: that love of beauty can, when rightly cultivated and educated, battle immorality. Wilde inverts this by showing us a great lover of beauty who is also immoral in
Lizzy
In a world increasingly obsessed with appearances and beauty, Oscar Wilde’s The Picture of Dorian Gray could not be more opportune and timely. Wilde's novel is about youth and beauty versus experience; morality and the triumph of the senses over reason; sin and accountability; society, its hypocrisy and the depths of the human condition.
"But beauty, real beauty, ends where an intellectual expression begins. Intellect is in itself a mode of exaggeration, and destroys the harmony of any face. The
فهد الفهد
صورة دوريان جراي

لو طلب مني إعداد قائمة بأهم الكتب التي قرأتها في حياتي، ستكون رائعة أوسكار وايلد على رأس القائمة، ومهما صغرت قائمتي، ومهما تطايرت منها العناوين، ستبقى (صورة دوريان جراي) لأنها رواية عبقرية كتبها فنان عملاق.

قرأت هذه الرواية في مراهقتي، نسخة مختصرة منها بالأصح وأبهرتني، أبهرتني فلسفتها، أبهرتني تحولاتها، وها أنا بعد أعوام طويلة أعود لأقرأ نسخة كاملة منها، ومع ذلك لا يتشتت الانبهار ولا يخفت جمال النص ولا قوته.

دوريان جراي شاب وسيم، فاتن، بريء، يرسم له صديقه الفنان لوحة مذهلة، تلتق
Jean
"If it was I who was to be forever young and the picture that was to grow old! There is nothing in the world I would not give ... I would give my soul for that!"

There are a handful of Victorian gothic horror novels where the basic premise is well-known even today, having spawned countless rewrites, dramatisations and imitations. "Frankenstein" is one, "The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" is another, and The Picture of Dorian Gray makes a fine third. Few people do not know of the Faustian
  • The Fall of the House of Usher
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Tales of Terror
  • The Return of the Native
  • The Late Mattia Pascal
  • Love's Labour's Lost
  • Middlemarch
  • The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling
  • Frankenstein / Dracula / Dr Jekyll And Mr Hyde (Signet Classics)
  • The Monk
  • Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
  • Moonfleet
  • Monday or Tuesday
  • Lady Audley's Secret
  • The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7)
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde...

“The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.” 14540 likes
“You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.” 7873 likes