Start by marking “I Sing the Body Electric!” as Want to Read:
I Sing the Body Electric!

I Sing the Body Electric!

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  9,498 Ratings  ·  241 Reviews
One of the great authors of short fiction in the 20th century, Bradbury's works are read in classrooms all over the country. This collection features 28 of his stories and one luscious poem, with themes ranging from the verdant Irish countryside to the coldest reaches of outer space.

Contents:
The Kilimanjaro Device (1965)
The Terrible Conflagration Up at the Place (1969)
Tomo
Published October 1st 1981 by Bantam Books (first published October 31st 1969)

To ask other readers questions about I Sing the Body Electric!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Sing the Body Electric!

Lyn
Aug 29, 2012 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I Sing the Body Electric, a collection of short stories by Ray Bradbury gets less ink than the more popular collections The Illustrated Man and The Martian Chronicles but perhaps better demonstrates his great range of literary ability and imagination.

Focusing on a central Bradbury theme of nostalgia, while straying from the science fiction and fantasy genre, I Sing the Body Electric is best illustrated by the title story, which is by far the best and is on a short list of the best of Ray’s stor
Melki
May 01, 2015 Melki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine a summer that would never end.
Imagine a boy who would never grow up.
Imagine a dog that would live forever.
Imagine a small town, the kind that isn't lived in any more.
Ready? Begin . . .

This book had been sleeping on my shelf for almost three decades. I was finally prompted to take it down after reading Neil Gaiman's short story The Man Who Forgot Ray Bradbury.

Yet another instance of one book leading to another in a never-ending chain of wonderments.

Quite honestly, I've read better, more
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨

Look at this glorious cover.

My friend Kate/Monty brought this to my attention.
Jackson
In some random article, I once read the phrase "as lonely as a Bradbury protagonist," and after reading this, I couldn't echo that sentiment more. "I Sing the Body..." is a collection of twenty-eight stories that conceptually fall all over the fictional map. There's bi-dimensional babies, Martian messiahs, present-day apparitions of literary and historical figures, and robots in every shape and form. These stories explore what it is to be human, lonely, afraid, excited, and hopeful. In their sha ...more
Melanti
Apr 15, 2017 Melanti rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, sci-fi, anthology, 2017
Normally I find Bradbury a quaint and light read - something I can easily fly through and admire his imagination. For whatever reason, though, this time around I found him exhausting and tedious.

There's a terrible stagnancy in Bradbury's fiction. It seems he's always yearning for his past, and his future always seems to be some sort of recreation of the small mid-West town ideology that he remembers from his childhood.

And while he is conscious of the nuclear standoffs of his Cold War era, he see
Rebecca McNutt
I loved this book; I was drawn to it because I was so entranced by The Twilight Zone's adaptation of "I Sing The Body Electric" - this book really brings the wonderfully vibrant story and many others like it to life, and Ray Bradbury presents scenarios where the only limit to imagination is your mind and what you interpret from these fun little stories.
G.
Mar 19, 2013 G. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this as a teen. And now that I've re-read, I'm thinking about the things I missed when I was young, the nuance and the subtext...must reread everything! Anyway, this is probably his most literary collection of stores. It was published in 1969 but some of the stories are older than that, but this is really a timeless set of fictional parables, poems and ruminations. I would still tell any teenager to read it and fall into its worlds.

I was lucky enough to see Ray Bradbury and Ray Harryhause
Keith Davis
Nov 05, 2016 Keith Davis rated it liked it
Bradbury at his best combines nostalgia and creepiness in a tone reminiscent of the old Twilight Zone TV series. At his worst his prose is florid and purple with just enough misogyny to make reading him very uncomfortable. The writers of Mad Men must have grown up on Bradbury's fiction because all his men tend to have a drink in one hand and a cigarette in the other and take no guff from their women who are silly and hysterical and often need a good slap.

There are some good examples of Bradbury'
Jenna  Nov
Jan 24, 2017 Jenna Nov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this compilation. I found 2 of my new favorite pieces. Since there are too many stories for me to review, I will simply rate the stories. I would definitely recommend this book for Bradbury fans. Even if you're not a Bradbury fan, you should still read it.

"The Kilimanjaro Device" ***
"Downwind from Gettysburg" *** 1/2
"Yes, We'll Gather at the River" ** 1/2
"The Cold
Poliana
I thought I would love this book but, as it's often the case with short story collections, it's pretty irregular. Tomorrow's Child, Heavy-Set, The Lost City of Mars and the title story are above average while stories such as The Inspired Chicken Motel and Henry the Ninth are not that successful. Still an interesting example of fiction that reaches beyond the sci-fi genre.
Emily
Jun 14, 2012 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, classics
Rating a collection of short stories can be very difficult. There are 18 stories by Ray Bradbury in this book and there were a few I loved, several I liked, some I didn't care for, and a handful that didn't really make much of an impression.

Overall, this group of short stories seemed to have less of the sci-fi and fantasy elements than most Bradbury I've read. That's not a bad thing; I often like Bradbury's realistic fiction just as much as his sci-fi. It just gave a different feel to this book.
Mangy Cat
Mar 01, 2008 Mangy Cat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bradbury fans, Lovers of Futuristic Sci-fi
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
If you like Ray Bradbury in general, this is an awesome collection of weird little short stories. If you don't know him, this is an excellent book to use to get acquainted with him.

The stories in I Sing the Body Electric were so varied. I enjoyed all the little vignettes of futuristic sci-fi and alternate universes. The sampling is so wide that no two stories can be tied together. They range from fantastic (The Lost City of Mars) to scary (Night Call, Collect) to just plain weird (Tomorrow's Chi
T.E. Grau
Jan 19, 2017 T.E. Grau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not every story hits, but those that do are true classics of dark, fantastical, and general literature, especially "Tomorrow's Child," "Night Call, Collect," "The Lost City of Mars," "The Burning Man," "The Blue Bottle," "The Parrot Who Met Papa," "A Piece of Wood," "Drink Entire: Against the Madness of Crowds," "Punishment Without Crime," and especially "Heavy-Set," which is one of my favorite short stories in all of written history.

Few writers in the English language are more talented, imagina
Moshe Mikanovsky
The stories in this collection are hit and miss, more misses for me than hits... Bradbury was always a weird writer for me. Here, I either understood everything he said in a story, or was so baffled that I had to skip a story because I just couldn't put the words together to a narrative I can actually grasp. I did love couple of the stories, like "The Terrible Conflagration Up at the Place", "Night Call, Collect" and "Punishment Without Crime". The title story is also quite decent.
Sharon
This collection of short stories runs quite the gamut. Some stories are worthy of five stars and some only two. So I averaged them all together and give an overall rating of three and a half stars. Am I going to tell you which stories were my favorite? Nope. You're just going to have to read and judge for yourself. Enjoy!
Alex
Apr 11, 2017 Alex rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a mixed bag of Bradbury stories, as there’s no binding thread woven through the collection. I prefer his darker stuff, and most of the dark things here were quiet musings on the human condition. About half the work here was speculative, with the remainder being “realistic” fiction.

The darkest story was “Drink Entire: Against the Madness of Crowds” which could have comfortably fit on the same block as “Something Wicked” and The October Country. I enjoyed The Irish Stories. “The Terrible
Dana
Aug 22, 2014 Dana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this reminded me of how excited I was to watch The Martian Chronicles mini series back in the '80s. I actually found the series in its entirety on Youtube and relived a piece of my childhood by watching it.

Um, yeah. As a highly sensitive, creative type who is on hiatus from all things involving the world and its current dramas, I, perhaps, should have turned to a comedic writer versus one who is so adept at creating a mood with his words. Said moods tending to lean toward the morose side
Cathrine Bonham
I loved this collection of Short stories by Ray Bradbury but I will never understand how and why some stories were collected with each other. This collection really lacked a theme tying all of the stories together and in fact four of the stories could have been included in The Martian Chronicles but weren't. Though one story, "The Messiah," was included in The Martian Chronicles Mini Series starring Rock Hudson.

Anyway it was still a good read and well worth the amount of time that it takes to re
Rachel
Sep 27, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
This one is quite difficult for me to describe. One of the stories was brilliantly done (Night Call, Collect), but as for the rest, while being well-written, just didn't hold my attention. I was a little annoyed by the repeats (The Haunting of The New and The Cold Wind and The Warm) as well. Maybe my expectations were a little too high, or maybe it's because I've read quite a lot by Mr Bradbury lately, but I was actually quite bored with this one. I think I said this in another review, but short ...more
Erin
Dec 24, 2016 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Favorite Stories: The Haunting of the New, I Sing the Body Electric!, The Lost City of Mars, G.B.S-Mark V, and The Utterly Perfect Murder
Elizabeth
Reminds me of Roald Dahl's short stories for adults. Not that that's at all a bad thing.
Kathy Worrell  ツ
I love the Twilight Zone Radio Dramas. Very well done. The perfect way to read a book. I wish all audiobooks were done this way.
Lara
Feb 27, 2008 Lara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
blue pyramid! amazing stuff

Wolfman
Sep 04, 2011 Wolfman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How would you like to meet Abraham Lincoln, Ernest Hemingway, and Charles Dickens? Or maybe you would prefer to travel to the future and then to the planet Mars. If any of these things sound intriguing – or even if you’d just like a nice down-to-earth story with some humor or a touch of melancholy wisdom – Ray Bradbury’s collection called I Sing the Body Electric is for you.

Although the version of the book I just finished was printed in 1983, I Sing the Body Electric was originally published in
Joe
Mar 21, 2012 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pure-joy
I found a young hunter, but he was wrong; I knew that after talking to him for a few minutes. I found a very old man, but he was no better. Then I found me a hunter about fifty, and he was just right. He knew, or sensed, everything I was looking for. (2)

"But how many of us have that much sense? Most of us don't have brains enough to leave a party when the gin is out. We hang around." (5)

"You'd make a lousy writer," he said. "I never knew a writer yet was a good talker." (9)

Along the way, our fa
Jeanette
Jun 06, 2012 Jeanette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"She waited with the inherent sense of drama most people learn when small quick events must be slowed and made to seem large.
And strangely, we were moved by the hush of the woman herself, by the lostness of her face. For it was a face in which a whole lifetime of lostness showed. It was a face in which children, never born, gave cry. Or it was a face in which children, born, had passed to be buried not in the earth but in her flesh. Or it was a face in which children, born, raised, had gone off
John
Feb 19, 2017 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A 2.5

Most of these did not work for me. Too many Martians, rockets & religion. They felt a lot the same. The first story was my favorite, it was a great tribute to Hemingway.
K. Axel
Just finished The Golden Apples of the Sun, and now I can't get enough of Ray Bradbury. Granted, I only gave that anthology 3 stars overall, but there were some pretty nice stories in that anthology, and those stories were some of his first, I think.

This anthology is a bit older, and therefore I expect the stories to be a bit more polished, but other than that, I have learned not to have any expectations when it comes to Mr. Bradbury, I mean, he certainly doesn't want to be defined by just one g
MB Taylor
I finished reading I Sing the Body Electric! And Other Stories late last week. This is another of the repackaged Ray Bradbury collections. I see two ways to take the title of this collection: The most obvious meaning is that this collection contains the short story “I Sing the Body Electric!” and other stories; the other interpretation (which I prefer) is that this collection contains the stories from the original I Sing the Body Electric! (1969) collection and some additional stories.

The 1969 &
Kathyb
Mar 03, 2017 Kathyb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with all short story collections, I really liked some, was indifferent to others and there were a few I did not care for at all. Some of my favorites were: "The Kilimanjaro Device", The Terrible Conflagration Up at the Place," "Tomorrow's Child" and "I Sing the Body Electric". My favorite was probably "Night Call, Collect". Since this was an audiobook, I did not really have a Table of Contents so I downloaded one from the internet. There must be two different books because there turned out to ...more
  • Shatterday
  • Destiny Doll
  • The Best of L. Sprague de Camp
  • Out of the Everywhere, and Other Extraordinary Visions
  • The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag
American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at the typewriter. He bec ...more
More about Ray Bradbury...

“Men throw huge shadows on the lawn, don't they? Then, all their lives, they try to run to fit the shadows. But the shadows are always longer.” 23 likes
“The world swarms with people, each one drowning, but each swimming a different stroke to the far shore.” 3 likes